I can't focus.

dixiegirl

How can I focus with all these obsessions flooding my mind?

I have to study for an exam. But every time I sit down to study, I start thinking about having HIV or HOCD will flare up or yada yada yada.

I don't know how to focus. I can focus for maybe 10 minutes then I go off the deep end into OCD. What can I do?

Last edited:

dooby-duck

I wish I knew what to do. I also find that when trying to work with racing thoughts my checking compulsions increase because I can't focus on remembering whether or not I have checked things. I can never seem to focus on a task for more than about twenty minutes anyway. Writing uni essays used to take me longer because I used to wander off every twenty minutes.

cobalt_bluester

hi there I am sorry you are experiencing these problems, they can make life very difficult. I would recommend trying a course of CBT as this can be effective in tackling problems such as yours. Good luck.

Lorraine Manca

ginger root. I dont have ocd, but if you put a sliver of ginger root toward the back of your tongue, it kind of wipes out the background noise in your head. maybe itd help for you too?

Dudley

Take frequent breaks. It sounds kind of dumb to say "counter lack of focus with not working" but I know if I'm working hard for a long time or just doing something for a long time (like my obsessions, ahh!) a quick break of doing something else is a big help. I dunno, it seems to work for me. Hope it helps!