I Don't Know What I Have...

chris87

Although I have read this forum for quite some time, I have never actually posted. I am not quite sure what is wrong with me, but I think that I may have OCD and possibly an anxiety issue. I have contemplated seeking some help, but I've been too embarrassed to do so (mainly because I'd have to discuss it with my parents...I'm 20, and still on their insurance). I don't really think that they have any idea about these issues, and I feel like my Dad might think I'm weird.

Basically, I have a habit of doing things until they "feel right." For example, when I leave my bedroom in the morning, I always close my door. I'll end up pulling the knob and counting 6-7-8-9-10. I'll repeat this until I am okay with how the door is closed. My sister actually saw me do this one morning (I didn't know she was upstairs) and said "Do you have ocd or something?" I also tend to do this with other knobs and switches around the house. I won't even use the downstairs bathroom, because for some reason, the pocket door that is there triggers these actions. I'll have to adjust the door 10 times, and it's too stressful. The underlying reason as to why I do these things is because I have this feeling that if I don't do these actions "correctly," one of my friends will no longer like me, or something bad will happen. I know that this is ridiculous.

I also tend to have a problem with preciseness/evenness. I don't even like to use my debit/credit cards anymore, because when I take them out of my wallet, I get nervous about them not being aligned correctly. One day, I literally readjusted them 10 times, until I was satisfied with how they were arranged. It's similar with my car keys...I have to have them positioned in a certain way, and it gets me really anxious if I see that someone moved them. I'll be paranoid that the keys may have gotten scratched or damaged from a family member touching them. I tend to also notice a problem if I'm mailing something. I'll literally take it out of the envelope 20 times, even though I know I dated/signed the check correctly, etc etc.

I'd appreciate any insight or advice.

slimjim119

Definitely OCD. You sound alot like me. Trying to be a perfectionist. I try to keep things aligned and even. If something is moved, it will cause me great anxiety. I also hate taking things out of my wallet because then I have to waste time arranging it back to the way it was. It's stressful to have people witness my odd behavior so I'm pretty good in public. But my OCD can be awful at home.

If you think its really affecting your life, you should seek help. It can get worse. I'm sure your parents will understand once they learn more about anxiety disorders.

No doubt in my mind you have ocd....counting, rearranging, lining up is the most worse symptoms i think cause it takes forever. I dont count much but i do rearrange things till it feels right and make sure everything is even but my worse symptoms is my many routines that i've picked up over the years but how i deal with some of them is when i notice my self doing something i try to stop especially when i see a new routine emerging...in the many articles and shows i've watched about ocd they say to just not do the action deal with the anxiety and in the end see that nothing bad has happened (easier said then done). I feel for u cause i too believe that bad things will happen to my life if i put something out of place..........i suggest behavioral therapy and about the insurance thing, just go to the place get help and explain later after ur parents see it and just say i have some problems and im taking care of it like its no big deal ur an adult