I just want silence without the voices

Dead_on_Arrival

Help....
No matter how hard I try I can't rid my head of my existential nihilism voice when I have any moment of silence. When ever I lay down to go to sleep at night they are there mocking me making me fear going to bed so much that I fall asleep on the sofa with the dogs and the TV on.
I feel like I can't go on like this and it is driving me insane. My family don't understand me and I am finding things increasingly difficult. I just want out and a peaceful silence.

I am in therapy for my OCD but don't have another session for 2 weeks due to holidays.
Does anyone have any advise for me. ::(:

Helmaninquiel

your in therapy?... How long have you been? cause voices talking to you in your head that sounds like schizophrenia to me and you need to be on serious medication for that. Tell your shrink that you hear voices.

Dead_on_Arrival

I have been in therapy for 17 weeks. The voices in my head are my own voice. I describe them as voices because they can overlap. What I here is me telling myself there is no point of life. Existance is futile because there is no meaning of anything. This is where the existential nihilism comes in.

MollyBeGood

Help....
No matter how hard I try I can't rid my head of my existential nihilism voice when I have any moment of silence. When ever I lay down to go to sleep at night they are there mocking me making me fear going to bed so much that I fall asleep on the sofa with the dogs and the TV on.
I feel like I can't go on like this and it is driving me insane. My family don't understand me and I am finding things increasingly difficult. I just want out and a peaceful silence.

I am in therapy for my OCD but don't have another session for 2 weeks due to holidays.
Does anyone have any advise for me. ::(:

Hi. I would seriously consider some meditation practice and also when I get really out-of-sorts like you describe reading or listening to Tolle here always soothes my mind.
Try...Working out physically while listening to music this will tire you out and help you focus on something besides your mind so to help you sleep at night.

The Voice in your Head that Controls You | Recognizing Unconsciousness |Echart Tolle 1/10 - YouTube

Lowlight

You can embrace the nihilism and live in a world without value or purpose. I personally feel there is no purpose or meaning to life. Don't let this idea haunt you though, because it is liberation.

It all starts with our birth. We didn't have a choice in being born. It is a definition that we cannot change. Therefore you are at this moment a creature of existence and awareness. Now it seems like you are having trouble with the fact that life is without innate purpose. If not then please correct me. What I would say to you is that life has no grand scheme to it, but that doesn’t mean you can't create some meaning (even if it is relevant only to you). At our base level there are urges to eat, sleep, procreate, and so on. You can live life solely trying to sate these needs, so you wouldn't die, if you wanted. By the way you are asking your question though it seems as if you desire a higher form of intellectual reinforcement.

With the acknowledgment that the world is meaningless, you can never fail. There is no grand scoreboard in the sky keeping track of all your “failures” and “successes”. There is no finish line that you must cross in your life before you die. There is no one you have to justify your existence to. There is only a void which you fill with actions and decisions that have no value to themselves either.

It sounds as if you may be experiencing some depression. Is this stress all about nihilism or are there other factors which have brought these thoughts to the forefront. In any case I hope you can find some solitude.

Dead_on_Arrival

Lowlight

you are right in your assumption of me. I do struggle with the purpose of life, but not just life, of everything. I do search for a "higher intellectual reinforcement" of my need to know. Last night I was in a particularly bad place and it took me about five hours to get out of my slump and finally get some sleep.
My state of mind was brought on by my therapy session yesterday and my learning about myself. We tried a method of writing down an imaginary situation about my worst case scenario and then recording it onto a dictaphone and listening to it over and over. A case of facing my fears. This is when I found this forum, and vented my anguish.

Thank you for being here to help

I too have ocd and the voices and thoughts in my head are maddening. It is as if they are in fast mode with no purpose. I actually thought that I had schizo at first but then realized that it was just bad ocd. It is terrible at night for me as well and sometimes it takes 3+ hours to sleep. Sometimes I don't end up sleeping at all though. My add meds to help but my ocd meds do not seem to do anything. I know how you feel because I am there too!