I think I have OCD

Oscar

When I was young (around 6-8 y.o.a. or so) I would always have to touch things a certain way. If I stepped on a threshold with one foot, I'd have to step on it with the other one, if I touched a lightswitch with one hand I'd have to touch it with the other and so on. This went away after a while.
The past 2-3 years I've been very keen on keeping my vehicle clean and washing my hands all the time and worrying about germs. These few things would come on and go, and were never too terrible. I didn't really think about it too much until the past few months. I just figured I was the kind of person that liked to keep stuff clean. The past few months, I realize these thing were probably OCD all along. The past few months is when it started to get worse, and I figured it'smore than likely OCD
Symptoms now:
--Fear of running over a pedestrian..this is by far the worst symptom, it gives me the most grief and its the one I worry about the most
--Checking things (pants pockets at the end of the day, if I login to a website on a public computer, checking to make sure the computer didn't store my password, lightswitches, doors, my alarm..i used to check it about 20 times before I went to sleep, down to about 4-5 now and so on.
--I tend to keep some things that I know I probably won't use again.
--Cleanliness is another big one. I'm obsessed with keeping my vehicle clean. I wash my hands a lot, and I have to put soap on them at least twice each time I wash them. I'm terrified of blood, the blood itself doesn't bother me but the fact that it could be "contaminated" does. Something sticky or some kind of fluid on a table or anyplace really bothers me, and if I come into contact with either I have to wash my hands before I can touch my face. Germs also bother me, I use sanitizer wipes on things I touch a lot. For the most part, I won't drink or eat anything that someone else has been eating or drinking.

I'm pretty sure it sounds like I have OCD. Does anyone else have the fear of hitting a person walking when you're driving? Like I said, that's my biggest fear, I was wondering if that one is pretty common or not?

I'm fed up with this stuff, and now that I figure it's not going to get better on its own, I need to get help

Dudley

I know I always get a little edgy when I have to drive down a narrow street. I'm always at least a little nervous about bumping into another car or something. There is one in particular on the way to my job where the right side is for parking, making the street even narrower. Not exactly the same as what you're describing, but I'm pretty sure most people don't have to talk themselves through a narrow street to keep calm.

As far as I know, this isn't one of my compulsions (I have not been technically diagnosed, but I'm fairly sure I have OCD with overlapping Tourette's)

Like you said, the symptoms come and go, usually coming up again when I start to think about them.

The ones I know about for sure are:
-- Constantly repeating phrases and "counting out" the syllables by flexing my knees. This one sometimes gets to the point of my knees aching tremendously. It used to be that I would have to keep doing it until it ended on an odd number of syllables or my right knee.
-- Becoming incredibly nervous and edgy when someone messes something up in my room. Leaving a closet door slightly open, messing up the way I have the chair in the corner, and especially sitting on my bed. I can't even rationalize it, I'm getting worked up as I'm typing this because I'm think of someone sitting on my bed and it just drives me up a wall.
-- Washing my face every time after I wash my hands.
-- Constantly making lists. I have categorized my DVDs in every conceivable manner ranging from setting to number of sequels.

As of now, I've only told one person about this condition, but I really started to calm down and notice a little reduction in symptoms after I did. I don't know what else you've done, but just telling someone I trusted really did work for me. Hope I could help.

---------------------------------------
Cheers!