Illegal drugs and OCD.

blue_sky

"Those with OCSDs who have had past histories of illegal drug use often ask if that could have caused their disorder. The answer to this question is that not enough is yet known about the effects of various drugs on the biological mechanisms of the brain thought to be associated with OCSDs. While it is known, for instance, that cocaine does affect the serotonergic and dopaminergic neurotransmitter system, it is not known how this might be linked to an OCSD, if at all. It is interesting to note, however, that cocaine and other drugs that stimulate the central nervous system have been known to cause repititious or stereotypical behaviors that resemble classic OCD.
There have been a number of individual case studies that speculate about the association between the use of certain illegal drugs and the onset of classic OCD. One large-scale study, published in 1993 by Rosa M. Crum and James C. Anthony of Johns Hopkins University, found a greater-then-expected risk of OCD among adult users of both cocaine and marijuana, as compared with adults who were not illegal druds users. The authors themselves noted, though, that there were some limitations to this study, and that further research was called for."

Penzel, 2000

getbornagain

I could have told you this. Ever since I started smoking tons of pot and doin a shitload of blow my anxiety/depression/OCD have kicked into second gear.