I'm back, and I've got a prescription for Robinul.

missyv

Hi, this is missyv. I've been gone for a while and I started the new job (the one my last post was about) and I am no longer housebound. Also, I have health coverage now.

OMG, some days have been holy hell. It's very embarrassing to say (and this is the only place I can say it to this many people out in the open ) but the foot odor from my feet sweating fills the office and when you come in it's obvious.

I've been laughed at, coughed in my face and just about every other gasp from people has occurred that you can imagine. I have to remember that in America if you don't have health coverage you are just blank out of luck. so I endure the humiliation.

Okay, I went to a podiatrist first, and he prescriped Zeaobsorb powder, soaking my feet in ebsom salt and Formalaz which is a 10% solution of formaldahyde. I put the formaldahyde on the bottom of my feet before going to work and boy that stuff and the odor was horrifying.

I then went to see a HH surgeon to talk about ETS and well, they do not do the surgery on persons with only feet HH. Okay, but she did write me a prescription for Robinul. But, made me promise not to take it until I met with my new Primary Care Phy. and made sure it would be okay for me to take. She said it can accelerate your heart rate. Is this true? I've only heard about dry mouth. She also said it has a host of other side effects.

Well, I met with my PCP yesterday and she doesn't want me to take it. I'm reading about the success from others here (don't hear from the negative side of this drug here) but I don't know what to do. She wants me to take Wellbutrin because i'm so stressed over the awful problem that has stalked me for some years now and I don't know what to do. I'm afraid if I start taking it and it works, she won't prescribe more because her recomm. is not to take it at all.

I have just got out of the house after being housebound for 9 months. Anyone have any suggestions on which way I should go for here. It seems as though noone in the med. field is helping me yet. I don't have anymore time to take off at the present time and I feel as though I've just wasted 3 personal days and got absolutely nothing accomplished.

Please help. I've got to do something before I find myself housebound again.

I suppose what I'm asking is a lot of vinegar soaks and tea bags soaks and the formaldahyde has dried my feet out but the odor is so bad that people can smell my feet before I approach them. Should I be taking the Robinul if I'm only sweating very mildly from the sole of my feet. I'm getting terribly confused and I've had this problem so long, I'm just about ready to give up.

also, is there anyone in baltimore maryland suffering from HH.

margiehope

Hi!

My own HH problem was cranio-facial, so others may have better suggestions on external treatments for your feet.

However, I can tell you a bit about Robinul (I take Avert, but it's just the Canadian version).

The med CAN make your heart race, and in fact my pharmacist got in touch with my doctor to OK it before dispensing it, since I have controlled high blood pressure. He did OK it though.

Like any medication, from aspirin on, glycopyrrolate CAN have multiple side effects, but mostly doesn't. Two years later I still have wonderful success, and only occasional dry mouth.

Don't know how much Wellbutrin (sp?) would help HH--if it soothes your nerves a bit, that may help--I think we all get caught in a spiral of " tense because we sweat--makes us sweat more--tense about that".

Wish you the best--keep us posted!

hyp-hi

I think it is kinda rare to have foot HH and not HH on any other parts of the body. Do you think the oder is caused from sweat? It may be something else. You could try seeing a dermatologist about it. At 1st my doctor didn't want to prescribe me with Robinul, but I explained to him how other people have used it and had successful results. He gave me a trial prescription and said if it works, then I can get a refill. I have been taking it for a few weeks and have not really noticed much in the way of side effects. But for your case, if the main issue is the smell, I think there must be some other kind of treatment for that.

missyv

Thanks Margiehope: I think I'm going to get the prescription filled and try the med on my own. Hope nothing bad happens. I have never been a person to take a lot of diff. meds. not even for cramps. never had a headache or toothache. Now i'm on this Wellb. and I wonder if i can take the two of these meds at the same time.

Also, regarding the heart racing, is that right after you take the pill or just happens randomly anytime. that scares me. don't want to have a heart attack!!!! you know.

margiehope said:
Hi!

My own HH problem was cranio-facial, so others may have better suggestions on external treatments for your feet.

However, I can tell you a bit about Robinul (I take Avert, but it's just the Canadian version).

The med CAN make your heart race, and in fact my pharmacist got in touch with my doctor to OK it before dispensing it, since I have controlled high blood pressure. He did OK it though.

Like any medication, from aspirin on, glycopyrrolate CAN have multiple side effects, but mostly doesn't. Two years later I still have wonderful success, and only occasional dry mouth.

Don't know how much Wellbutrin (sp?) would help HH--if it soothes your nerves a bit, that may help--I think we all get caught in a spiral of " tense because we sweat--makes us sweat more--tense about that".

Wish you the best--keep us posted!

missyv

Okay, the sweat used to be so bad that the water would be left in my shoe when I first started experiencing this thing 10 years ago. After a dermatologist said that it was HH. I started using drysol and other home remedies to try and dry out my feet. But the odor has gotten worse. I had an appt. for Derm.. last week and cancelled to go see HH surgeon. Sorry I did that now. I do have another Derm. appt. scheduled for Oct. 2 at Johns Hopkins Hospital here in Maryland. They love to experiment, I guess if they can't help me theres no help for me. thanks for responding to my post.

hyp-hi said:
I think it is kinda rare to have foot HH and not HH on any other parts of the body. Do you think the oder is caused from sweat? It may be something else. You could try seeing a dermatologist about it. At 1st my doctor didn't want to prescribe me with Robinul, but I explained to him how other people have used it and had successful results. He gave me a trial prescription and said if it works, then I can get a refill. I have been taking it for a few weeks and have not really noticed much in the way of side effects. But for your case, if the main issue is the smell, I think there must be some other kind of treatment for that.

Danfalc

Banned
It might be worth looking into beta blockers :) Im not sure if they will help your sweating but ive had anxiety for years and im a complete skeptic when it comes to meds.But i got perscribed proponolol (not sure if thats spelt right) for my anxiety which is severe... and it does help my phsycial symptoms such as racing heart ect and blushing.

Im no expert on HH at all... i do sweat alot sometimes but id be lying if i said it was on the same level of some people on here.But because the medication is stopping me from getting that worked up in the first place... it does help.Hope you find somthing which helps. :)

margiehope

"Also, regarding the heart racing, is that right after you take the pill or just happens randomly anytime. that scares me. don't want to have a heart attack!!!! you know."

I've never HAD the heart racing--it was just a possibility to be aware of for people like me with highish blood pressure. If I'd ever had that problem, I'd have stopped the Avert, but 2 years later I still have only occasional dry mouth.

If doctors prescribed only meds with NO possible side effects, there would be NO prescriptions issued.

Johns Hopkins is top notch, so I hope they can help you further!

Keep us posted.

missyv

Hi Margiehope, okay, 2nd day using the pill and my feet are still sweating thru odor eater charcoal shoe insert right thru to the lining of my shoe and staining the shoe. Tomm. I have to go to new employee orientation and I'm just horrified. My feet were so bad smelling again today in the reception area where I work. I don't know how long this job will last, realistically.

The administrator is now just acting as though I don't exist in the office and I'm supposed to be a part of her and her assistant's team. A panel of three interviewed me and her assistant sat on the panel. I think she really regrets that she hired me. I can tell. she holds her nose when she comes to my work space and when she hears me walking back to hers. This situation is so humiliating I don't know how I can get thru 9 hours without just walking out on this job.

Oh, and get this, my PCP said she told me not to take the medicine and she will not prescribe it for me (Robinul). She insists that I could go into coma, it will mess with my heart, i could have convulsions..... She says that it is all in my head and she wants me to call a psychologist and do therapy.

She says everybody sweats and that we have to sweat and she wants me to talk to someone because she doesn't understand how I look at things. I'm frustrated with her not believing what I'm trying to tell her as my physician. Anyway, she needs to give me the benefit of the doubt because she just met and serviced me on Friday. Or, she needs to visit my office from anywhere around 12 pm - 5pm when I'm sweating at my worst and maybe she'll get the message.

Sometimes I just want this life to be over so I don't have to live like this. I don't know where or when I'll get relief from this awful discusting stinking feet situation. I've never met a person with feet like mine. It's coming right thru the shoe.

I did have another doc's assistant from The University of Maryland call me today and say he'd like to meet me and take a look at my case. However, i'm all out of personal days and so I don't know when I'll get there. She said they usually prescribe Robinul 1 mg spread out over 3 times a day.

She told me that after a week, I'll know if it helps my sweating because it's supposed to dry everything out.

If Robinul doesn't help me; i think i may be inclined to think that there must be something else terribly wrong with me???????? I keep begging God for answers. I want to be able to enjoy the years I have left not living like a hermit.

margiehope said:
"Also, regarding the heart racing, is that right after you take the pill or just happens randomly anytime. that scares me. don't want to have a heart attack!!!! you know."

I've never HAD the heart racing--it was just a possibility to be aware of for people like me with highish blood pressure. If I'd ever had that problem, I'd have stopped the Avert, but 2 years later I still have only occasional dry mouth.

If doctors prescribed only meds with NO possible side effects, there would be NO prescriptions issued.

Johns Hopkins is top notch, so I hope they can help you further!

Keep us posted.

hinder87

maybe its your shoes and not your feet that smell? i remember using odor eater charcoal inserts and they actually made it worse. also, try spraying febreeze in your shoes, and also put some glade plug-in in your office.

hyp-hi

Oh, and get this, my PCP said she told me not to take the medicine and she will not prescribe it for me (Robinul). She insists that I could go into coma, it will mess with my heart, i could have convulsions..... She says that it is all in my head and she wants me to call a psychologist and do therapy.

It could be mental. I think HH is a result of both mental and physical, each feeding off each other.

For the shoes, are the ones you have breathable? I know some shoes are not breathable and they heat up and make you sweat faster than other shoes. But then I know you kinda want to keep them covered, so it's kind of a tough call.

Anyway, don't give up. There must be a solution out there.

CelineX

I think you definitely need to get new shoes. It's the smell of the shoes that fill up your area, not your feet. Buy new leather shoes, never synthetic because they aren't breathable. Right before you wear them each time, soak your feet in a 1:6 ratio of clorox bleach to water for about two minutes or until they don't smell anymore. This is a dilute solution, so your feet shouldn't feel any burning, but if they do then wash it off immediately. Your feet will continue to sweat, but they shouldn't smell. It's the bacteria that live in the shoes that cause them to stink, because they thrive on the moisture. If you keep your shoes bacteria free, they won't smell. Don't walk around your house in your socks and then put them in your shoes. As clean as your floor may be, there are still tons of bacteria. Try to soak your feet in the bleach solution, wash them off, dry your feet, put on clean socks, put on a new pair of house slippers, and go to the door and put your shoes on. You should use the slippers only for this purpose, that way they stay clean. It might sound like a huge PITA, but it will definitely cut down on, if not eliminate your foot odor.

missyv

Thanks hinder87, yeah I think some shoes, depending on the lining can just have a funky smell before you even wear them.

Wow, regarding the odor eaters, you mean I've been investing $20 a week for six inserts and they could actually be making my shoes smell worse. OMG.

The Robinol did nothing for me and I took it for a week for myself to see if it would work even though my doctor forbid me to take them. On two separate occassions I did experience the heart palpatations. That scared me. The first day my throat was so dry I was gagging. I drank some water and tried to eat lunch and gagged awfully. They also, for some reason had me with a cough. I don't know what that was all about.

Anyway, I just stopped taking them. If I'm going to continue to run water from the feet while I'm taking the med. I don't want to play around.

Won't Febreeze make my feet smell funky. I've heard people suggest to spray Lysol in them. I haven't tried that either, yet.

hinder87 said:
maybe its your shoes and not your feet that smell? i remember using odor eater charcoal inserts and they actually made it worse. also, try spraying febreeze in your shoes, and also put some glade plug-in in your office.

missyv

Thanks CelineX, yeah I know what synthetic shoes can do and I don't buy them. I read all of the shoes I buy and they say Leather Upper balance man made material. Is that what I'm supposed to be getting. I have been to lots of department stores looking for shoes because I'm buying shoes every time I get paid. Every two weeks. I can't keep this up.

But, I don't see anything with leather sole.

I will try the bleach solution and see if that helps. I've been doing the vinegar soaks and the tea bag soaks. The vinegar is for fighting odor and the tea bag is to cut down on the sweat. This is just too much to have to live life this way. I'm always concentrating on my feet day in and day out.

Also, I don't wear socks, I have to wear panty hose with my dress shoes. I guess that's contributing to the problem as well. I don't know.

I'm so tired of all of this craziness.

CelineX said:
I think you definitely need to get new shoes. It's the smell of the shoes that fill up your area, not your feet. Buy new leather shoes, never synthetic because they aren't breathable. Right before you wear them each time, soak your feet in a 1:6 ratio of clorox bleach to water for about two minutes or until they don't smell anymore. This is a dilute solution, so your feet shouldn't feel any burning, but if they do then wash it off immediately. Your feet will continue to sweat, but they shouldn't smell. It's the bacteria that live in the shoes that cause them to stink, because they thrive on the moisture. If you keep your shoes bacteria free, they won't smell. Don't walk around your house in your socks and then put them in your shoes. As clean as your floor may be, there are still tons of bacteria. Try to soak your feet in the bleach solution, wash them off, dry your feet, put on clean socks, put on a new pair of house slippers, and go to the door and put your shoes on. You should use the slippers only for this purpose, that way they stay clean. It might sound like a huge PITA, but it will definitely cut down on, if not eliminate your foot odor.

Franklin

You may want to try a product from certain dri that is for bromohidrosis. They have 2 different products. The one just looks like the antiperspirant in a pad form. The other is for foul feet. This is off their website:

Certain Dri® FEET Microsponge® Powder:
Specifically developed for people suffering from excessive foot odor, a condition known as bromhidrosis.
Certain Dri® FEET Microsponge® Powder contains the patented Microsponge® Delivery System that is triggered into action with heat, friction or moisture to release five odor fighting ingredients.
The ingredients in Certain Dri® Feet Microsponge® Powder provide several levels of odor defense:
A protective barrier that prevents air from coming into contact with moisture/sweat
Dimethicone – an anti-friction agent
Two antibacterials to help prevent the formation of odor causing bacteria

Triclosan – prevents growth and kills bacteria responsible for odor
Chlorhexidine digluconate – kills bacteria, the source of odor
An odor neutralizer that continuously works to prevent odor

Grillocin – interacts to neutralize odors
A light menthol scent that helps keep feet fresh all day.

Menthol – a cooling agent which also helps mask odor

The product should be applied sparingly to the soles of the feet, in between the toes and in your shoes and sneakers daily to keep foot odor under control.

Here is a link:
http://www.certaindrifeet.com/Pages/CertainDri_Feet_Product_Information

Good luck!

baller86

doctor

How much are you taking? I take 2 2mg tablets a day minimum. Try upping your dosage. Also, don't eat an hour after you take it and don't take it less than 2 hours after you eat or it won't be as effective. You need to get a new doctor. Yes there are some possible side effects, but many of us have taken this medication without any problems. The only way for you to find out how it affects you is to try it. You can also buy it without a prescription from pharmacy.ca if your doctor is not cooperating.