Insight on How OCD Operates from a Long Time Suffer

RKO

As a long-term sufferer of OCD, who never has never used meds I have developed some insight in just how OCD works, which may be of some use to others suffering with this condition.

The classic description of OCD is this: A negative thought gets enters a person’s mind and gets stuck there. The result of this is a state of increased anxiety. To reduce this anxiety the person develops rituals (compulsive behaviors) to decrease, or to help them endure the anxiety.

I agree with the part that rituals are a mechanism to deal with the negative thought; I have often noticed that when I had some additional anxiety (like a financial problem or a school exam) on top of my OCD anxiety, I would perform my OCD rituals at a greatly increased rate.

First my definitions: I use the term “intrusive thought” or sometimes “invasive thought” instead of “obsession” as the word “obsession” means something quite different in everyday use than it does when professionals use it for OCD terminology.

Unlike the thoughts described as “obsessions” in colloquial language, the obsessive thoughts in true OCD has absolutely nothing to do with pleasure or desire; or have any reward associated with them. I am tired of people saying: “I have obsessions too. When I see a good looking girl . . .” or “I am obsessed with sweets or alcohol, etc.”

In OCD the obsessions, hereby referred to as intrusive thoughts, have absolutely no pleasure, reward or desire associated with them. They resemble the thoughts of nightmares. These intrusive thoughts are uninvited and unwelcome—and never enjoyed.

Over the years I found I was sometimes able to remove an intrusive thought from my mind. However, soon after another one would take its place and might be totally unconnected or unrelated to the previous thought.

I found sometimes over the years, I could get a thought extinguished at a faster rate (although some stay with me—I usually have several intrusive thoughts simultaneously), but the new ones would develop just as fast to replace the old ones.

In fact, now I generally never totally wipe out an intrusive thought, but I keep it burning at low embers, since I never know if the new one will be worse than the old.

When I wake up, I generally nurse along the one that is going to cause me the least trouble during the day. I usually play off one thought against the other.

Health advocates encourage taking beneficial bacteria (like yoghurt) in your body to inhibit the growth of deleterious bacteria—in other words, good bacteria keeps out bad. In the same way, I use a less pernicious thought to keep out a more noxious one.
Oh how I wish I could replace the intrusive thoughts with pleasant ones—but I have to settle for replacing them with less baneful ones. And what is considered less harmful thought may vary from day to day.

In addition, I noticed another phenomenon with my OCD. When I occasionally eliminate an intrusive thought from my mind, I will get a feeling of relief—briefly. Then all of a sudden a wave of fear engulfs me, but I cannot associate any thought or particular fear with this emotional state.

Usually, the fear will develop into a more particular fear. I noticed that while environmental factors do not cause the fear, they influence the shape it takes. For example, when I first get this amorphous feeling of dread, and later hear of someone getting into a car accident or getting mugged, that will become my specific fear.

While I am not an expert on the biological causes of OCD, I have read through many reliable sources that the problem is caused by bad serotonin nerve receptors in the basal ganglia, the part of the brain that deals with emotions.

With most people, it is a thought, or an event that precedes fear, guilt or shame. Like a situation involving real potential harm or some traumatic event such as sexual abuse.

But I am convinced that with OCD, though it may not seem apparent to a new sufferer, it is the emotion comes first, and then it is the intrusive thought follows. Since these two usually come onto a person almost simultaneously people earnestly believe their emotional state (dread, anxiety, guilt and/or shame) is a result of the intrusive thought.

My belief is that the brain gets stuck in an emotional state and generates a thought to go with that emotion.

Notice that heterosexuals always are the ones to experience HOCD. Yet male homosexuals with HOCD have experience things like fear of getting a woman pregnant. People always will report fear of harming the people most dear to them, their children, their spouses or boy/girlfriends—never their enemies.

Oh the uncanny ability of OCD to just know just what is most dear to you—and then works its destruction on you by utilizing that very thing.

I guess the dictum of Aristotle, “Nature abhors a vacuum” somehow applies to OCD. I suppose your mind cannot tolerate an emotional state like fear, guilt and shame without having a thought associated with it. If one does not come from the outside, one will be generated from within.

Now I say this because for years I never knew that OCD was a recognized disease and was shared by others. Before I learned this, in addition to the horrors of my intrusive thoughts, I used to pile on to my malady even more guilt and shame.

Now I am not saying my OCD is no longer a problem, but at least I am not magnifying it with self-loathing.

I would love to hear other people’s comments on my theory of how OCD operates.

de

hi hows it going nice post you have basically described what its like for me

i was told by my shrink that we get the intrusicve thoughts as a way of justifing the anxiety we are feeling so we get the thoughts as a result of feeling anxiety buthe thoughts also make our anxiety worse so its bit of a catch 22 or chicken and egg situation we get the thhoughts because we have probelms with anxiety but the thoughts also make us more anxious

for me anyway there are days whaen i feel more anxious then other days and as a reult my ocd is worse sometimes i get a fear that i have forgotten somethign or there is something really importannt that i should be doing so if for example im taking my meds out of there box and when i put the box in the bin but ill keep going back to the bin to check if i left any meds in the box

i agree with you that we feel the emotion first before the intrusive thought sometimes its like i can catch the thought before its shoved into my head or i can get rid of the feeling or anxiety caued by thoughts by saying my "ritual words" i then get a small bit of relief but only for a second or two

kathyk

wow that is exactly true for me too
like i cannot get a thought out of my head and after a while it gets replaced by something else bad. or i can't get a thought out of things that happened to me that were bad. those are the worst.
but ya thanks for explaining OCD exactlyy

akele

you should all go to the yahoo forum 'OCD support group' where there are OCD experts. they will help you with strategies.

Tarcus82

Nice post RKO.

Alot of good insights there, OCD affects everyone differently I have OCD myself and agree with some of what you have posted.

OCD is also something that is insidious I find it evolves, when you think your on top of it it's shows itself in another form this is the frustrating part. I don't take meds myself am psychology student myself, think people focus on the medical model to much and I think the psychological model is where it's at.

At university taken some time to do a little study, confirm findings on OCD particularly on biological and cognitive effects. I had menningitus when I was a form of Streptococcus bacteria research is growing to support some biological causes. Below is just pastes I am 'Pure O' OCD it's what my OCD has become so as you can imagine I research and collect alot of information about various things which prolly make me ask more questions anyway.

-------------------

Biological Causes
The Stanford University School of Medicine OCD webpage states, "Although the causes of the disorder still elude us, the recent identification of children with OCD caused by an autoimmune response to Group A streptococcal infection promises to bring increased understanding of the disorder's pathogenesis." In recent years, children with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) thought to be caused by an autoimmune response to group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal infection (PANDAS) have been identified. This promises to bring increased understanding of the disorder's pathogenesis.

Cognitive impairment

Christensen and associates (1992) found a significant deficit in non-verbal memory and visual-spatial abilities among OCD patients. A controlled study by Jurado et al (2002) highlighted the patients’ impairment in ‘temporal ordering’ and ‘feeling-of-doing’ judgment, suggestive of their lack of self-awareness of the performance. Difficulty in shifting cognitive sets and persevarative errors found in OCD patients are consistent with orbito-frontal deficits (Head et al, 1989; Spitznagel and Suhr, 2002). Cavedini et al (2002) compared a decision making process in OCD, panic subjects and controls, and found it impaired in the OCD group. The patients also show impaired ability to forget unpleasant material (Tolin et al, 2002). Short-lasting amnesic episodes and confusion in three OCD patients with compulsive checking was reported by Thomasanterion et al (2002).

goat

RKO said:
I guess the dictum of Aristotle, “Nature abhors a vacuum” somehow applies to OCD. I suppose your mind cannot tolerate an emotional state like fear, guilt and shame without having a thought associated with it. If one does not come from the outside, one will be generated from within.

this is very insightful and something I hadn't considered...I have been suffering from OCD for close to thirty years now.