Iontophoresis tips

domadi

Hi,

Some of you may remember me (domadi) from the MSN Excessive Sweating Forum from awhile back (see Idrostar-related posts there from 2001). Well, I'm back to share some tips that have been working for me. I've been doing iontophoresis since 1997. (Fischer from 1997-2001; Idrostar from 2001-present).

This is how I use my Idrostar:

After making sure that there are no electrical power sources or electronic devices nearby so that it's safe, I put both of my hands in one tray with water, while both of my feet are in the other water tray. I then use my left elbow to turn the knob to 25mA-30mA, and do this for 10 minutes on the + polarity. After 10 minutes, I use my elbow (with hands still in the tray--takes practice) to turn it back to 0mA and then take my hands out. I then switch the polarity to finish the remaining 10 minutes. This method reduces the iontophoresis sesssion by half, as it is now 20-25 minutes a session, instead of the typical 40-50 minutes.

I've noticed that the iontophoresis will be more effective if you can get your hands to stop sweating before putting in the trays. What I do is I buy some tomato juice cans (small 8oz cans) cans that you can buy for cheap at a supermarket and put a number of them in the freezer. "Cool" your hands by holding on the frozen can for 20 seconds or more (you may want to also put a couple frozen cans under your feet to cool them too. After the hand sweating has ceased, then put your hands in the water trays. When you're done with your session, grab your frozen cans again to 'numb' your sweat glands. I would also recommend washing your hand with cold water and soap (to remove the remaining oils and any vaseline that may be on there).

I've found that when the sweating is bad, the frozen cans can speed up the drying-effect of the iontophoresis. Before I used the frozen cans to calm my sweat glands, my iontophoresis sessions would take longer to dry my hands. I'd have 3-4 days of full sweating on my hands after my 5th or 6th session. But now, I might have a day or two max of full hand sweating. The longer you keep your hands 'cool' and free from sweat after your iontophoresis session, the fewer iontophoresis sessions you will need to reach that 'dry' state. I sometimes even exercise on my treadmill holding a frozen can in each hand to minimize the amount of sweat on my hands.

My iontophoresis schedule: Every 3-4 weeks (except for the summer, which will be every 2-3 weeks), I will do 2 sessions on a Friday evening, and 3 sessions on Saturday. I may do another 1-2 sessions on a Sunday or Monday evening. I may still sweat a day or two after my last session, but I almost always will reach the 'dry' state 2-3 days after my last session, as long as I do 5-6 sessions every 3-4 weeks in that format.

My challenge now is to figure out a reasonable maintenance schedule (i'e been lazy about doing it once a week; i remember before that it didn't seem to work for me, as the sweating came back full force after the 4th week or so). I might also try incorporating drysol on palms wrapped in vinyl gloves when I go to sleep (on nights that i do iontophoresis). I'll start to keep a diary to note observed trends.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

-domadi

hydroman123

Hey domadi, I am also an Idrostar user but unlike you I have been using it only for the past two weeks. My hands are around 90% dry- so I am very very happy with the results. I have a few questions for you,
1)How severe was your hyperhidrosis prior to the treatments? For instance did you sweat in cold weather?
2) How dry are your hands (what about the fingertips)?
3)Has the effectiveness of the treatments decreased at all in the past decade?
4)Why do you think the maintenance treatments were not effective?I was planning on doing traetments every 4 days- 1 or 2 per week-do you think this will be ineffective?
5)Do you add anything to the tap water?
Sorry for all the questions. Any reply will be greatly appreciated-THANKS.

domadi

1)How severe was your hyperhidrosis prior to the treatments? For instance did you sweat in cold weather?

-My hands would be dripping wet (quite severe) and swollen before the treatments. Yes, I would sweat in cold, freezing weather.

2) How dry are your hands (what about the fingertips)?

-My fingertips are usually completely dry four days after my last session. When my hands start to sweat again (usually after 2 weeks after reaching the dry state), the fingertips are the first areas to start sweating.

3)Has the effectiveness of the treatments decreased at all in the past decade?

-Surprisingly no. I found the Idrostar worked better than the Fischer. But maybe that is because it uses the aluminum plates. I should mention that after your first 'dry state', the next time you do iontophoresis, it will seem that it's not working or not as fast, but that is normal. My first time with iontophoresis back in 1997, i achieve complete dryness after first 2 sessions. Now, it's after the 5th or 6th session, but it's been consistent.

4)Why do you think the maintenance treatments were not effective?I was planning on doing traetments every 4 days- 1 or 2 per week-do you think this will be ineffective?

-Not sure why the maintenance treatments haven't been effective. It may work for a little while, but then i'd have to go back to the 5-6 treatments. Then again, I haven't experimented with maintenance treatments that much.

5)Do you add anything to the tap water? I've tried robinul/glycopyrollate, tea, sage, baking soda, etc. All don't seem to work (haven't tried baking soda enough though). It does appear that tap water works the best and the cooler the water, the better (b/c with cold water--add some ice cubes--your hands are less likely to sweat in the water tray, making the iontophoresis session better).

hydroman123

Thanks alot for the info domadi. My experiences have been somewhat different. For instance, my hyperhidrosis is moderate- I never sweat in cold weather but my hands are ALWAYS moist and clammy in humid conditions. Still it took around 7-8 treatments to see any positive results with the iontophoresis. It all seems rather uncertain, doesnt it?
I have one question- your most recent post says the Idrostar uses Aluminium plates-arent they Stainless Steel? Have I misunderstood your post?
Its very reassuring to meet someone who has controlled this damn condition for so long- keep up the good work.

domadi

NP. You're right, the plates for Idrostar are stainless steel, not aluminum. Thanks for catching this. Although they are stainless steel, I would recommend getting some sandpaper and sanding the plates every month or so. Over time, some parts on the plate seem to have some kind of buildup. I've noticed that if I go for too long without sanding, the iontophoresis' effectiveness is reduced.

-Water level in the trays: Pour just enough water so that your fingers are about 2/3rds of the way submerged (your fingernails should be mostly or completely submerged), with the top of the fingers not submerged. When i'm at my 'dry' state, the tops of my hands will perspire during exercise and or extreme heat, which is fine. For me, it seems that if the tops of my hands sweat during exercise or when it's really hot outside, it somehow prolongs the 'dry' state of my palms.

One aspect of HH that is rarely ever mentioned in forums is how to 'train' (to some extent) your body to sweat to the rest of your body, instead of your hands. When you are doing your iontophoresis sessions, and if you are exercising during that week, by holding on to frozen cans of tea/juice/etc, I've noticed that your body will divert the sweat to other areas such as your forearms, instead of the hands. Keep doing this while I exercise (when I haven't reached 'dry' state).

hydroman123

Hey, I have noticed a similar build-up on my plates too. It takes the pattern of the mesh placed on top of the electrodes. I was reluctant to sand it off thinking it might mess up the iontophoresis- paranoid, I know.
When the iontophoresis started working my hands became all white and chalky- parts of my skin started peeling off(especially on the finger tips). Have you noticed anything similar- do these changes indicate that the treatment is working or is it mere coincidence?

Theo55

hydroman123 said:
Hey, I have noticed a similar build-up on my plates too. It takes the pattern of the mesh placed on top of the electrodes. I was reluctant to sand it off thinking it might mess up the iontophoresis- paranoid, I know.
When the iontophoresis started working my hands became all white and chalky- parts of my skin started peeling off(especially on the finger tips). Have you noticed anything similar- do these changes indicate that the treatment is working or is it mere coincidence?

Hey, thats what I was going to say as well, the skin on my hands started to peel off, (and you can actually see it floating). Have the problem of rusting as well, but that wouldnt affect the effectivivness of the treatment. Iontophoresis have not worked for me , maybe I dont have the time for it . But I found that putting your hand in cold water for 15 minutes would completely dry my hands for at least 3-4 hours(even in a warm day) !

hinder87

domadi, regarding the fischer, did u do the treatments everyday on the hands or every other day?

domadi

I would do my iontophoresis sessions over a 2 or 3 day period. For instance, 2 sessions on Day 1, followed by 3 sessions on Day 2.

Sometimes, I would do 2 session on D1, 3 sessions on D2, skip a day, and do 1 session on D4.

May vary this depending on how busy I am.

I haven't seen my hands peel much during the iontophoresis sessions.