Is it all due to anxiety ?

medlam

I can't work out what the cause of my HH. For a long time I thought it was a physical illness or underlying medical condition but after seeing spe******ts and doing a lot of tests, that all have come back negative, I've been speaking to others including cbt therapists that strongly believe my HH is caused by anxiety, anyone have any thoughts on this ?

I have full body HH and facial sweating is very hard to deal with

Appreciate feedback or thoughts on this
Thanks

Conor

It is definitely not all down to anxiety. Although I know a lot of mine is due to anxiety more so over the past two years. But my underline problem is far more than anxiety related. I can be sitting out in the sun completely relaxed or even asleep and sweat will still pour down my chest and back.
If I jumped into pool or sea for five mins and get back out again I will remain dry for about 15mins until body heats up again. If only I always had a pool nearby ��

Jezza

It is definitely not all down to anxiety. Although I know a lot of mine is due to anxiety more so over the past two years. But my underline problem is far more than anxiety related. I can be sitting out in the sun completely relaxed or even asleep and sweat will still pour down my chest and back.
If I jumped into pool or sea for five mins and get back out again I will remain dry for about 15mins until body heats up again. If only I always had a pool nearby ��

Thing is though it's not really a matter of heating up cause the core temp isn't higher than in 'normal' people. In fact as it happens I was in hospital 2 weeks ago and when they checked for temperature it was actually 36 degrees Celsius (don't know what that translates to in silly US metric :giggle:) which is a little on the cold side (37 is the accepted normal value).

Also when ETS is performed on HH patients, one of the ways they check if the operation is succesful (while the patient is presumably unconsious) is to check for the temperature of the fingertips; when the nerve is cut the temperature goes up...not down.

Jezza

I can't work out what the cause of my HH. For a long time I thought it was a physical illness or underlying medical condition but after seeing spe******ts and doing a lot of tests, that all have come back negative, I've been speaking to others including cbt therapists that strongly believe my HH is caused by anxiety, anyone have any thoughts on this ?

I have full body HH and facial sweating is very hard to deal with

Appreciate feedback or thoughts on this
Thanks

The never ending question I guess...bottom line is there's no definitive answer on this issue yet.

I think I already mentioned this on here in the past but personally for me it has been the same thought process you describe. For a long time I insisted that it was a purely physical thing...it had to be in my opinion cause it was just not acceptable to me that HH could be the result of 'mental weakness' on my part that was then also potentially caused by some negative experiences with people as a child (in my case mostly an influential bully in the hood that was a few years older than me and later turned out to be gay which was probably the reason of his bullying behaviour *don't mean to offend anyone but I mean he was probably struggling with coming to terms with his situation).

Now I've realised I can't be sure either way. Maybe it's physical, maybe psychological...I can't exclude the possibility that having that negative experience as a child for no reason instilled some sort of irrational fear for humans in me that makes my sympathetic nervous system go haywire anytime I'm in a social situation. Btw the 'no reason' part I think is pretty important cause I think it's worse than for instance being teased because you're fat or have glasses or whatever...in that case you can kind of 'rationalise' the behaviour, but if there's no reason you're judged because of you're you...(while more realistically it was probably just hate but you never realise that at the time).

But then...tons of people with a similar or way worse youth experiences have no (sweat) problems at all. And at school in my own grade I couldn't have wished for a better group of people to spend my early years with...so what does it take to develop HH?

This question is knocking around in my head quite often...but at the end of the day it doesn't do that much good. Even if the origin of HH may be psychological I don't believe one can alieviate it with psychotherapy, if you have full blown HH the nervous system is way too far out of whack for that if you ask me.

Last edited:

SweatyCanuck

No its not all due to anxiety. While anxiety may aggravate it more, HH is a physical condition all of its own. I know for myself anxiety was more of a side effect than a cause. I wouldn't get anxious until I started sweating. With my CS I definitely feel that way.