Is it possible to have agorophobia for someone else?

spectator

What I mean is, I have no trouble leaving my apartment and walking around, but if say, I'm back at my house on LI and my mom leaves to the supermarket, I start worrying if something will happen to her, irrationally. I keep wanting her back home. Is this some kind of agorophobia for someone else? Is that even possible or am I just a bit weird?

jimmyfay

That's not really agoraphobia. It is an anxiety condition... by that I mean a constant worry that seems to be stressful to you. It's more of a separation anxiety. Are there things that happened to you and your mom that caused you pain? Did she leave when you were a child? Did your father leave? Did someone die? I know that's kinda harsh, but you need to figure out what is the root cause of your worry. Then you can figure out rational responses to the thoughts you are having about "losing" your mom. Does that make sense? When you worry about something constantly, you almost don't realize what you are telling yourself. For example: "what if mom gets hurt?" "what if she never comes home?" "what if she gets robbed", or what ever it may be. What if questions are stressful in and of themselves because they imply uncertainty. You need to replace those thoughts with positive statements. I'll let you make those up yourself because you know your situation... but things like "mom's fine" "she'll be back soon" and so on... Also... sounds silly, but don't forget to breathe. Seriously... it can be that simple.