Is there a biologist/geneticist in the house?

Dudley

So something interesting happened over the Easter weekend. At my grandparent's house, with many cousins and aunts and uncles, the topic of counting was touched on.

A few of them (my grandmother, a cousin, and an aunt) all talked about feeling the need to count things or the need to eat or separate things in a certain way, which leads me to believe that some of my family may have at least mild OCD without knowing it. I'm pretty sure my grandfather and two uncles have Tourette's (as do I) because of their facial tics, some of which that I share. I barely see my uncles, so it couldn't be imitation.

So I was wandering, does anyone know anything about hereditary OCD/Tourette's? I'm trying to see if I can trace who in my family is the carrier of the gene or possible mutation.

Morgan01

I know that some people mistake OCD for tourettes so maybe it's the same thing. From what i know about it it is not hereditary bur sometimes people can pick up those things from family members and also sometimes people get this sort of thing because of their surroundings and living situation and that can have something to do with it but I don't think anyone knows too much for sure about that quite yet

Dudley

From the research I've read, Tourette's and OCD can often overlap. I was asking about the genetic link because I don't see my extended family that often (maybe once every two months at the most) so it would not be an environmental factor.

qwe

OCD is 'multifactorial', therefore is much more complex that a person having 'a gene mutation'. Genes, environmental factors, psychological and neurobiological factors combine to create OCD in ways not yet completely and fully understood. Try reading the following scientific article, which you can pay to download (google it), or find in a university library, or do some research on line . . .

Document title: The genetics of obsessive compulsive disorder and Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome

Author: PAULS D. L.

Journal Title: The Psychiatric clinics of North America 1992, vol. 15, no 4 (49 ref.), pp. 759-766

Dudley

Much obliged

I figured there were more factors than just genes, it was just a lucky coincidence that a few family members displayed symptoms and starting talking about them while I was there.

Riiya

I can't help but notice the article was written in 1992. Whatever information it contained, it may be a little outdated.

Here's something that you may find fun to read: "The OCD Gene"

flerb22

make a family tree, then see how many in that tree are affected. there is bound to be some overlap, as the nature versus nurture argument doesnt really apply to families - similar genes, similar upbringing - could be one, both or neither