Is this from OCD?

chris87

Although I haven't visited my doctor yet (I'm going soon), I'm pretty certain that I have OCD. I know the rituals are characteristic of OCD, but I was wondering about something else that really bothers me:

I have an absolute obsession with "newness." When something of mine loses its perfection, I get really upset.

For example, I got a new car in March. Unfortunately, I don't like to drive it, because I'm afraid the seats will get worn, the tires will wear down, and more miles will be added. I was thinking about visiting family members at the shore this week, but I don't want to put 50 miles on my car (and it doesn't have anything to do with the high gas prices). I also have some weird issue about changing/modifying something that is new. I still have the dealer tag on my key, because I don't want to remove it. I also have never actually cleaned the inside with any type of chemical, because I'm afraid that the car will lose the original smell.

I'm very similar with my clothes. I have nice clothes from good stores, but I don't wear any of them. I'm so afraid that they'll lose color in the washing machine or not look as perfect as they once did. I literally have a few outfits that I wear, but my nice clothes, I don't touch.

I also notice this with my teeth. I have to brush and brush and brush...it takes me forever. I don't know why I do these things, but I seem to get anxious about something bad happening if my desire for newness is disturbed.

DaDahhhhDaDaDa

I've got the same thing. I recently bought a new pool table and clean the chalk marks off the velvet vigorously every time I notice them. I wish I could clean the cue ball as well but I don't have anything that can get the stains off.

I've also got a thing with scratches on CDs and creases on books. I hate lending CD's because people often hand them back scratched and don't care for them properly. I also examine blank CD's for dust and won't use them if they are too dusty (the fear is the CD will explode in the drive, which has happened before). I also hate creases or mug stains on books I read, so every time I read a book I'll always open it just enough so I can read it but ensuring I don't crease the cover.

You're not alone then, it's good to know that I'm not the only one with these sorts of obsessions.

Shattered

It does sound like OCD in my opinion. It'll be good for you to go to the Doc though as it isn't really a good thing to self diagnose. Sorry to hear that you go through all that. I understand though. I had to deal with OCD when I was younger (I still do get OCD about a few things). Mine wasn't with newness though. Mine was all about symmetry and the number 7. My body has to feel even or the same on both sides. Example: If I scratch my left arm I must scratch my right arm in the same place. And if one feels more scratched than the other, I'll continue to scratch until it feels even. Or rather I USED to go through this. I made myself stop when other children noticed my oddness and made remarks.