Is this mild OCD?

idk

I don't know if this is mild OCD or not, but these sort of behaviours have increased for me over the years. I'm just getting a little worried they may get even worse.

- Rewriting things: In one example, I remember several years ago during math class, I rewrote my homework three times because I messed up. No, I couldn't erase the mistake...I had to rewrite the entire thing because it bothered me until I did. I don't do this as often now because I type more often than I write, but it still does happen when I write little notes to myself or friends.

- Checking things: I don't do this one as often as I used to, either, but I still do sometimes. I remember once laying in bed, when I realized the basement door might not be closed - even though I remembered closing it. But I had to go check to make sure it was, because if I didn't someone might fall down the stairs or something.

- Numbers: When I'm listening to the radio or watching TV, my volume always has to be on a multiple of five (so ten, fifteen, twenty, etc. are okay too). If this isn't possible, it needs to be an even number. I hate odd numbers (with the exception of five or it's multiples, of course).

- Knocking on wood: I do this one a LOT. I started doing this back in May when one of my kittens died and it's just gotten so much worse since then, it really bothers me. Whenever I think of something "bad" I have to knock on wood because I'm afraid I'll jinx it if I don't. I might think of someone/something dying (like the kittens), and then I have to knock on wood so that doesn't happen. And they're not always drastic (like dying), even small things like when I'm waiting in line. If I think about wanting the teller on the left to call me, I have to knock on wood or else I'm convinced I'll be called by the one on the right. Things like that. I do it so often though...for example I did it at least a dozen times while reading this forum just because some of the behaviours sounded familiar and I didn't want to "jinx" myself into getting worse or anything...I get really anxious if I can't, especially in the car or something when there's no wood available...I sort of just knock on a piece of paper to calm myself down because they're made from trees. It's stupid, I know.

Any thoughts? Mild ocd or am I just imagining things?

akele

Katex88x said:
yes sounds like it! I do those things especially the rewriting and checking stuff :)
yes its definitely ocd. can you go to a doctor and get some help for it? its not worth suffering from it, as it seems to be troublling you quite a lot.
akele

hbanana11

idk said:
- Knocking on wood: I do this one a LOT. I started doing this back in May when one of my kittens died and it's just gotten so much worse since then, it really bothers me. Whenever I think of something "bad" I have to knock on wood because I'm afraid I'll jinx it if I don't. I might think of someone/something dying (like the kittens), and then I have to knock on wood so that doesn't happen. And they're not always drastic (like dying), even small things like when I'm waiting in line. If I think about wanting the teller on the left to call me, I have to knock on wood or else I'm convinced I'll be called by the one on the right. Things like that. I do it so often though...for example I did it at least a dozen times while reading this forum just because some of the behaviours sounded familiar and I didn't want to "jinx" myself into getting worse or anything...I get really anxious if I can't, especially in the car or something when there's no wood available...I sort of just knock on a piece of paper to calm myself down because they're made from trees. It's stupid, I know.
I do something similar to this but for the same reasons. I swallow whenever i think a bad thought or something..Its like if i dont swallow then something bad i am thinking will happen to me..kind of the "jinxing" you described. It used to be really bad but i dont do it nearly as often anymore. I have no clue if mine i mild OCD...