Jury duty.

GettingThere

When I got home today I checked my mailbox in eager anticipation of the many valentines cards I was hoping for (tongue firmly in cheek).
Hmmmm, no cards. What I did get was a letter from the Sheriff (I thought that they were only in westerns) advising me that I have been selected for jury duty.

This should be interesting. Can you imagine being questioned in court for your suitability to be a juror? Actually I don't really know how it works. Has anyone been picked for jury service before? Wonder if I should try to get out of it. :roll:

Anonymous

theres you way out getting there..go shoot someone :lol:
ooh, what you do worrydoll?

hmm, no idea how it works, you could plead mental instability... :?

Anonymous

ahh, im clean myself. not done a thing wrong. except for the usual teenage thing, getting pissed with your mtes..mind you a policman bought us more drinks.lol
and did you know any underclothes action is illegal under 16?! how stupid.

Anonymous

i got called for jury duty a few years ago - bit of a dim memory now but we all sat in court for a few hours and eventually 12 names were read out, the rest were told we could go - luckily, my name was not read out

if you don't want to do it, maybe you could just say so, if they say you must do it, act a bit mental, if that doesn't work, i dunno, just get your dick out or something

Anonymous

Religious Beliefs...

The best/easiest way to get out of jury duty is to tell them that your religious beliefs prohibit you from judging another human being, if they ask your religion tell them you're a Jehovah's Witness. Or you can tell them you believe all felony offenses should be punishable by death, that has worked for my friend Liz twice. However this is in the USA don't know if they care about the same stuff in Australia.

Chilling__Echo

i dread jury duty, not only because of the SA thing, but also, that's somone's life in your hands... and on your conscience.

Remus

Staff member
Chilling__Echo said:
but also, that's somone's life in your hands... and on your conscience.

muhahahaha :twisted:

seriously though, I'd hate to be called up in the US for a murder trial in a state that has the death penalty, the pressure of that must be horrendous.

often people are found innocent after many years :(

Chilling__Echo

yeah, that's true. i'm probably opening up a whole nother can of beans in saying this but i think we should jsut get rid of the death penalty (in the US, i'm not sure what other countries do it). too many innocent die. if the prisons overcrowd, cut the budget. how bout starting with the HBO they get...

Remus

Staff member
here's another can of beans..

how about getting rid of all the guns so its harder to kill people :p

Chilling__Echo

i was just thinking, who was the dumbass that decided that "hey, let's let everyone and their brother be allowed to own a gun"... i mean, sure it's prolly just been passed down from generation to generation. our nation was developed by guns...

annie

Even if I wanted to do jury duty, I can't because of the my previous work in the legal field, which automatically counts me out.

I have received I would think 4 letters in the past; you would think that after letter number 1 and filling out the necessary forms they would just take you off the list and never receive another form to complete, dah.

How interesting it would be to sit in on a jury when there is a real high profile case :?:

Remus

Staff member
Chilling__Echo said:
i was just thinking, who was the dumbass that decided that "hey, let's let everyone and their brother be allowed to own a gun"... i mean, sure it's prolly just been passed down from generation to generation. our nation was developed by guns...

maybe you should just be allowed muskets as I'm sure George Washington didnt have AK47 assault rifles in mind when he formulated your constitution

imagine robbing a bank with a musket!

if you shoot and miss you are screwed :lol:

Anonymous

jury service in Britain is so boring, i would love to do it in the U.S. we rarely get a good case here

Chilling__Echo

jury service in Britain is so boring, i would love to do it in the U.S. we rarely get a good case here

maybe you guys are just stealthier there and don't get caught... and why would you want to prosecute someone with a potentially higher penalty??? when i get that letter, you can go for me

Anonymous

yeah I got picked. It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. I went to the courts on the Monday. We all went into a big waiting room and they explained what was going to happen. they said that some of the cases went for 3 days, a week and 3 weeks. they called peoples names out of box and they separated everyone into groups to go into different courtrooms for different court cases. If your name wasn't called out then you had to come back the next day and the next. I think if you didn't get picked by the Wednesday you didn't have to come back.

When you went into the court room they called out your name and you had to walk past the lawyers. If they didn't want you they would say challenge and then you would just turn around and go back to your seat. If they did want you then they wouldn't say anything and you just carry on walking to the jurors box and take a seat.

If you didn't get picked for that court case then you had to come back the next day to go back into the pool of people for other cases.
The case I was on went for 3 days. You get a free lunch as well!!!!

I didn't really say much when we went into the deliberation room. During the first couple of days we had lunch in the canteen but on the final day when we were making our decision it was brought to us in the room.
Luckily there is usually some outgoing mouthy types so they take over most of the talking. I did feel a bit uncomfortable but there wasn't really much pressure on me which was good.