Just an Update on Avert (2 years of usage)

Phantom9

Hey,

Thought I should chime in for an update.

How long have you been using Avert?

I've been using Avert for about 2 years.

What type of HH do you have?
Primary Palmar and Plantar HH. Had it since I was a child. I would rate it a 8/10 as I would sweat the entire day.

Dosage?

2mg dosage in the morning. I wait a minimum of 2 hours before eating or drinking. Sometimes longer. I ONLY take it when I wake up (sometimes set an alarm to take it earlier).

I don't even bother taking it after meals, just doesn't work. Morning dosage or nothing.

Effectiveness?
I'd say it varies between 95-99% success rate. On days it is 40 / 105 degrees it's about 95% effective. Other days it's 99%.

Do you take it every day?

On days I know I am not going out I do not take it. I noticed if I take it consistently it works better. Taking a day off doesn't hurt the effectiveness. Taking 3 days off does. I notice it takes 2 days to be as effective.

How long does it last?
I'm guessing like 14 hours? I don't really notice sweating at all until I cross maybe the 14th hour after taking it. If I take it consistently it works the entire day.

How many pills do you buy?
I buy 50 pills which covers me for close 2 months. Costs almost $42 CAD.

I take days off as I mention. Usually one day of the weekend of every week.

Side Effects?
Side effects are minimal. I guess the skin on my body is a bit drier? Occasionally, I need to gargle salt water to alleviate dry mouth. The symptoms are so mild for me I don't even notice it.

Do you avoid certain foods / drinks? Do you do drugs?
No, I consume whatever the heck I want. I don't do any drugs though. My body is my temple.

Rating?
Overall, I would rate Avert 2mg A+

I get Avert from Pharmacy.ca. Funny thing is I live maybe 30 minutes away by transit...
I pick it up in person. I call in advance because preparation time is 30 minutes. You can opt to pick up another day though, it's completely up to the buyer.

Pharmacy.ca requires you to do a questionnaire with a pharmacist. They create profile for you and it lasts a one year.

P.S: I honestly forget I have HH. In fact, I sweat less than other people now. I hardly sweat at all.

- Gabriel

Last edited:
Unfortunately you will eventually become immune to robinul (glycopyrrolate). There's also the risk of macular degeneration. This is why miraDry type devices are the only viable cure.

Phantom9

Any source for the macular degeneration risks?

As for Miradry, I heard about that awhile ago from these forums.

Hey, I'm all for a new permanent treatment option. The other options imo are either too inconvenient or too risky for my taste. I read a bit on some of the underarm treatments done so far. As you may have noticed from my post, I have Palmar / Plantar Hyperhidrosis. I don't suffer from uncontrollable underarm sweating. Regular deodorant works fine for me.

About Miradry for hands & feet. I was wondering what the heal time would be. People who received underarm treatment via Miradry had recovery time as long as two weeks.

Can you imagine not being able to use your hands and having to stay off your feet?

Miradry sounds awesome regardless. I'd definitely be willing to pay for permanent solution that isn't ETS.

Last edited:
It was many years ago on the msn hyperhidrosis forum (now defunct but it may be archived somewhere). The dry eyes effect can cause 'floaters' which my father has. Anyway like I say the drug simply stopped working for me. I probably could have taken 10mg of glycopyrrolate and my hands would still be wet. It sucks because it took me years to get it through the NHS. Anyway like I say, hopefully miradry will destroy the sweat glands permanently in the hands. I honestly don't care if it's painful or if my hands are in bandages, I'm willing to do anything short or burning my sympathetic nerves.

Saying that, the tablets may still work on full body sweating. I found the hands and feet notoriously difficult to treat with tablets. Robinul was miles ahead of probanthine, but suddenly stopped being effective. I started getting glycopyrrolate in liquid form which I poured into my iontophoresis trays, but I had to order it every month which was a pain, and I think it set the NHS back thousands of pounds. After about a month the liquid would start growing green algae or something in the glass jars, I guess there was a lot of bacteria mixed in there from my hands and feet. I also tried glycopyrrolate cream (1.5% I think) which was compounded in the UK, but that was totally ineffective. Anyway hopyfully the tablets are enough to ride you out until a permanent solution comes along.