Linked to Chilhod trauma?

Bernie

I personally think the majority of Agorophobics and Social Phobics have suffered traumas in their childhoods, like sexual abuse, negect, violent abuse etc.
And that it is probably triggered by such experiences. I also have suffered from violent thoughts, where you have an image in your mind of harming others (usually the ones closest you.) It is terribly distressing, and you can convince yourself that you are a "bad person" or "psychotic" But i haven't got it in me to hurt a fly. I've looked on the net in regards to this subject, and was relieved to find many others who suffer the same thing, and that it is actually a form of OCD! Does anyone else suffering from Agorophobia and/or Social Phobia also have these thoughts? and what are your opinions on them being linked to trauma in childhood?
Take Care![/b]

Tony08

I have only been personally diagnosed with agoraphobia, not medically yet, but i exhibit the syptoms so im going to input a bit. The part about violent thoughts, I experience also, as well as quick flashes of awkward sexual thoughts, which I often shake off by imagining me shooting myself in the head. Yet, I am neither suicidal nor desire these thoughts that I have. It bothers me to no avail and is comparable to watching a TV in your head, in which you do not have the remote to. I can think of a few times in my child hood that may have caused my agoraphobia as well as other social phobias I experience. Idk if being exposed to sex early on is a form of sexual abuse but i do remember certain negative memories that have to do with this and feel they might have spurred some of these issues.

Bernie

icarusUnderwater - Yes. And it's so sad that we have to suffer because of others actions or words.lol :(

princess_haru

Thankfully I didn't suffer any neglect or abuse as a child, but my dad died when I was 13 which sent me into a deep depression. I was always a shy, nervous kid though so I think my problems were inevitable.

I didn't suffer from any traumas or major problems in my childhood. I don't know how I can relate my childhood to social phobia. To be honest I can't even remember anything that happened back then. I can't even think of a single time like when I was 6 or younger that I even remember at all. I think that's kind of weird too. Everything is just gone. So either way I don't see a connection. But I do agree that for a whole lot of people their problems would be related to previous traumas.

Carstuar

I know that I haven't been traumatized, but I don't remember much from my early years either. Just a few pictures.

asubscriber99

if you would allow me, i can give a glimpse about social phobia, since i'm a doctor.

social phobia is considered to be biologically based, which means that your brain, so to speak, is wired wrongfully.
though this view is not categorical, it's supported by the improvement shown by taking medications like ssri, maoi (never minds with the scientific names).

social phobia has a genetic factor, so first degree relatives has three times the chance of being affected. and many phobics appear to come from disturbed families, where the parents show no support for the child they care for, which results in inability to create bonds in the future (insecurity).

you may need to check your family during childhood to know whether this apply to you or not, did your father and mother fight a lot? did your father no supported you when you had any trouble, stood beside the "others"?

have a face \/:) (i mean faith)

The trauma/stress can also happen to an expecting mother.
Cortisol is released and our Fight and Flight response is wired incorrectly.
This can occur during pregnancy or childhood.

Proper parenting can resolve most of these issues

Helyna

I think that some people are just phobic, but other people need something to give them that push.

For me, it was school when I was three. I have a very unusual type of birthmark in my lower lip which makes it look swollen, and when I was two and three, my lip was so big that it must have stuck out at least a half an inch from where it should have been. The skin that should have been only inside my mouth was visible even when my mouth was closed, so there was a lot of red showing at the bottom of my mouth, and toddlers don't know how to interpret something looking so different from what they're used to.

When I was three, my mom put me in a private school that was supposed to be so good that you couldn't get in if you didn't start in preschool because everyone wanted to go there. The teachers refused to let my mother explain my birthmark to the class, insisting that the other kids wouldn't notice, but it was inescapable. One of my mother's friends, the mother of a boy in my class, asked her son why he wouldn't play with me and he said, "Because she sticks her tongue all the time." I remember having some friends, but I had a lot of trouble. I remember my mother watching me at recess and trying to show the teacher how I was just lying on a bench-swing alone. I had convinced myself that I liked being alone. She didn't want to take me out of the school because I would never get back in, but in the end, she had to.

I had three operations on my lip to make it smaller. My parents put me in a new school with teachers that understood that kids noticed these things. They taught me what to say to people who asked me about my lip, but I was ten before I could answer with confidence, and I stayed shy. My mother claims that I was unusually mature socially when I was two, and she has never forgiven herself for not moving me sooner.

I think that was a bit off topic, but that's my story for why I am anxious. It doesn't have to be abuse or neglect or anything done on purpose.

x000x

Tony08 said:
I have only been personally diagnosed with agoraphobia, not medically yet, but i exhibit the syptoms so im going to input a bit. The part about violent thoughts, I experience also, as well as quick flashes of awkward sexual thoughts, which I often shake off by imagining me shooting myself in the head. Yet, I am neither suicidal nor desire these thoughts that I have. It bothers me to no avail and is comparable to watching a TV in your head, in which you do not have the remote to.

I think about these EXACT same things. These same type of thoughts are always racing through my head (even as I type this). I hate it because I try to stop thinking about it by imagining me hurting myself, but then the thoughts just come back later. It's like watching a compilation of things that have never happened to me. I wish some of these things would happen and others wouldn't. In the end I wish I could just stop these thoughts.

Bernie

To asubscriber99 I just had to reply to your comment as i feel very strongly about it. I know exactly where my social phobia stemmed from, i remember the very thoughts in my head at the time. I was six years old and i had been indecently assaulted by a neighbour. From then on i was scared of the world (as you would be) and the same fear of people and the world that i had then, i have now! only a hellover lot worse! I don't know whether your'e really a doctor or not, but don't go around telling people with social phobia that their brains are wired differently (they don't need any more labels) until you get your facts right. Bernie :evil: [/b]

Matthew

I was sexually abused when i was a little boy, i dont know if it caused my Social Phobia~ iv always been extremely shy, even before those events.

autumn_82

My SA was caused by my sensitivity to some harsh/difficult people and circumstances during childhood. My brother grew up in the same environment as I did yet he made it out okay, due to his easygoing personality that allows negativity to roll off his back. So for me it was a combination of nurture and nature.