Live in the woods?

Anonymous

I've always loved nature and hiking. I have social anxiety disorder fairly bad. I don't enjoy interacting with other people, and I KNOW they don't like interacting with me. I have been thinking a lot lately about just going off and living in the woods by myself...it's a better alternative to suicide in my opinion..Do any of you ever think about this? i just think about what I would eat and whether it might get boring or maybe i might even get LONELY (however I doubt that)...do any of you think about going to live in the woods alone?

GettingThere

Maybe if you got a bunch of SAer's together. Something like that movie "the village" without the monster scares hehe.

shep

The thought of going off and being a hermit somewhere in an isolated area has helped me cope with my sp for many years. It was my way out if things got bad enough. I have never exercised that option but it has served its purpose to keep me from thinking there was no hope. I'm retired now and I find it a bit easier to cope and fortunately, without meds.

tommydog

yes but you will still have to go into town to get supplies and stuff dont forget that. Plus .. were is money going to come from .. you wont be working obviously .. and if you are working from home doing something .. you will still need a certain level of contact with clients and so forth.

But, if it really is the only alternative to suicide for you .. then i say go for it. Id say tell us how you go .. but you probly wont have internet lol

edit: iv thought about this before. Except .. i thought about going somewere far away .. were culture is totally different .. maybe that will give me a new perspective and make me see things differently. Example, lagos, in nigeria, captures my imagination bigtime. Its a massive massive city, there is little to no order, little money, a completely different culture, and probably no such concept of shyness or inhibition.

Anonymous

I've been thinking about doing this for some time now. I know I will never do it but at least i can dream.

tommy man, you dont need anything just some hand made weapons to kill for food, clothes, you can make a pretty nice house with wood, sticks, and leaves.

this is why i will never attempt.

Anonymous

Did you see the "Blair Witch :twisted: Project"? 8O eeee I wouldn't mind at all LIVING in the woods.... but I don't think I'd want to die in them before my time was really supposed to be up. :cry: And...what about the winter months Brrrrrr Nip! Not without warm shelter of some kind!

Anonymous

you can make a fire out there, doh! and kill a bunch of bears, skin them, and wear their fur. it would be a nice life really. you have total control.

The fire doesn't keep burning all night long while your sleeping... wood needs to keep being added to it, total control, doh and what if the bears kill you while you are sleeping? Kill the bears for fur to keep warm... that's crude, it was their home FIRST. Guess you thought the white man had the right to kill the Indians and take their land, and women too?

Horatio

yes that is something I have often thought about

In times of desperation I too often think of moving to somewhere really remote or "going bush" and living in the middle of nowhere. I even have several ideas of where I would go if I ever do it, I know an old ghost town in the middle of nowhere dating back to a Gold Rush.

some people might say "Oh it would be too lonely" and they are very right, it would be. But I am very lonely living in big cities too so it wont make much difference. I am likely to have just as much company in the middle of the bush as I do here in the city.... none

and at least in the bush one doesnt have to see reminders whenever they look down the street that its not normal to be a loner. this past week has been really hard for me as all the students are back in town and on the streets. wherever I look I see people in 2, 3s or groups and it only reminds me of my place in society and I hate that

in summary, in my opinion being alone in the bush is better than being alone in a city.

Anonymous

I remember one time when I'd resigned from one job and had a few weeks gap before the next job started that I went and spent those weeks completely alone in a little house in the middle of nowhere.

I actually really liked it. Far from feeling lonely I actually started to feel quite happy. It was like my whole body and soul started to heal. I slept like a baby for the first time since my childhood, I felt full of energy during the day, my tensions and anxieties disappeared. I barely gave a thought to whether or not I was lonely or comparing myself to others. I just lived life in a state of contentment.

Then during the last few days, as I realised I was going to have to go back to the city and start my new job, I felt truly miserable. My sleeping went back to it's bad old ways. I even cried.

But one thing I know for sure is that I don't fear what so many people seem to fear...the idea of "getting old and ending up alone". It's a long way off at the moment but there's part of me that is already looking forward to retirement and being able to go and live in isolation. Provided I live that long and my health remains OK, I think my last years on this planet will be amongst my happiest.

I wish I was 65 8) .

LilMissTragic

Do what i do. I got myself a tent, sleeping bag and stuff and when it all gets too much I bugger off on a long hike with my dogs and camp out til I feel ready to go back home.

LilMissTragic

I'd probably find it easier to kill a human than any animal. I don't and won't kill innocent creatures. But hey, this isn't about opinions on hunting, I still think you should all get yourself out camping :)

shep

Living an isolated life can be as varied in degree as sp itself. Those who dread human contact the most would be more resourceful in their independence. Many others would do quite well with limited contact when taking in supplies. I suppose that long before sp was named, some people who had sp became hermits in an attempt to cope with their extreme shyness. I sometimes wonder if some of the early trappers who lived many months alone had sp and took to trapping as a way to survive and have limited contact. Few people today have the survival skills of generations past so it would not be easy to live an isolated life but not impossible.
Tommy_15's idea of going off to an entirely different culture is interesting as well. I have often wondered if I had been raised in a different culture or a different time in history, would I have gotten sp. Anyway, the thought of moving to a different culture is another reminder that all may not be as hopeless as we sometimes tend to think. Just knowing that there may be last resort alternatives may be a comfort to others as they have been to me.

JWH

Jesus! Why did they have to go and stereotype the bloody woods!

I went for a walk in the local park today, which is a fairly large, deep and dense with trees. Anyway, I was walking off the pain path area and every few metres there are these carvings in the footpath... something about the sun. They didn't make any sense, but it's freaky all the same. There were maybe 15 of these total, then, near the end of the path near the main road there was a largish bag. This was near an old pavilion that's been used by the homeless from time to time, so I tried not to get too worried but I won't be travelling that way again!

All of this was just after I'd gotten over my fear of walking that path after a while back a body was found there. It's a really beautiful area, but there's just so much to get paranoid about nowdays.

Nightshade

I have lived in a very different culture overseas, at least it was non-western, non-white and with a lot of people who didn't speak my language. I had some great experiences, and would have loved to stay more than 3 months.

But, while it is liberating being somewhere very different, I spent the first 6 weeks really quite disoriented, and freaked out by looking so different. Remember, when you are in the visible ethnic minority, you tend to get stared at. It isn't hostile, you are just more obvious. (And I'm not the sort of person that feels particularly anxious when someone just looks at me in the street, my anxiety problems express themselves in different ways.)

The funny thing is that you would think that when people are poor and living under much harsher conditions than we do, that things like depression and social phobia wouldn't be a problem, as if they are "luxury" problems. This may be true to some extent, but not entirely. Developing countries often have a lot of problems with alcoholism, domestic violence and depression that don't usually make it to the news. I remember becoming quite friendly with a young woman who was so much like me it was uncanny. Our life expereinces were so far apart, and yet she struggled with depression and anxiety that was quite similar to mine.

I learned a lot, but it didn't help my anxiety problems.

Now being surrounded by nature is another thing entirely. That always puts things into perspective for me. Personally, I can't bear the thought of life without a stereo, automatic washing machine and an internet connection for more than few weeks. But walking in the forest and smelling the damp leaf litter or watching the sea and listening to the waves, or even just feeling dirt on my hands in the garden are all wonderful healing things.

Anonymous

Thats indeed spooky. I guess moving to another culture its better than going alone in the woods. Then again people from another countries might be shaping thanks to globalization so we might be pretty much the same, (thank you coca cola), with exception of few wild tribes i guess.
but i see them hunting with walkie talkies in the future.(not really)

I would go in the woods for a good living and for a place to die old,i would hunt and live workin for a company using no internet cables but microwaves connection. I would not go alone at all. I would try hard to find somebody who would enjoy being just with me, we would have a cow maybe...surely at least two dogs. Probably i would own a gun in case of somebody of my specie would try to act smart. probably two guns.