Lunchbreaks

cocoon

How I hate them!

I don't really have any real aquaintances at school. So during the lunch break (30 min) I set there.. surrounded by at least 300 other kids (aged 16 - 22) and I'm usually the ONLY ONE sitting all by himself :cry:

Now don't get me wrong. I love sitting by myself because I don't feel the need to talk, but in that setting I attract so much negative attention. And to make things worse I usually sit at a large table meant for 16 people all by myself, because the smaller tables (6 people) are all taken.

Can anyone relate? How do you cope?

Invisible_Alien

I used to go through the same thing. When I was in high school at lunch I was usually sit by myself and eat real fast so I wouldn't be noticed. Then I'd spend the rest of the period in the library. I guess it wasn't that bad since the tables were the long kind so most of the time it didn't really look like I was by myself. One time when it was apparent the lunchroom monitor came over and started talking to me. It was so embarassing. It was obvious she felt sorry for me. Damn I hated high school. When I was in college it wasn't much better most of the time. I'd usually eat in my room or go to the cafeteria early so there were less people there and I wouldn't stick out as much. One time a group of total strangers asked me if I wanted to sit with them. I know they were trying to be nice but it made me really uncomfortable. Of course I didn't join them but instead said I was done and left. I don't really know what to tell you on how to cope with it.

4myself

maybe have a book or magazine open beside you so it looks as though your studying, also it may help to focus your attention elsewhere?

cody2468

I used to eat my lunch and then spend rest of lunch time in the library reading. When I left school and got a job I would either go to a table where no one else was and read a magazine while I ate my lunch or I would go for a walk and come back at the end of my break. I would have loved to have been able to sit at a table with other people and talk to them but I never felt comfortable enough

black_mamba

When I was a child we were forced to sit with our classmates and couldn't leave until we finished at least 3/4 of our meal. Naturally eating in front of others was a little uncomfortable, but at least I didn't look like a loner.

Then as a teenager, unless my best friend was around, I would skip lunch and the whole ordeal (sometimes people threw food at me because I looked vunerable :lol:). I would either hide in the toilets or library, in fact, it was this that helped me discover how cool books can be. Skipping lunch ruined my studies though.

Now at uni, I can happily eat on my own. I know now to take a magazine from the library and read it whilst eating so I don't have to make eye contact with anyone. Luckily we also have chairs/tables that face the window so you can eat without looking at anyone.

If you're at school can't you make your own lunch and eat outside away from other people? School kids can be very hateful, esp in groups. If anything gets too violent or too abusive let someone know. Alternatively, let me know and I'll bitchslap the little monkeys...

Boundless

Back when i was at school i used to hang around with a few close friends at breaks,used to hate dinner tho to long gave the bullies n idiots time to do there thing. :x

2QuietForThem

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you’ve brought back some painful memories for me. I’m stronger from the whole experience, though. They tried so hard to crush me but they failed. Anyway, I was the same as you until I completely abandoned the lunch room and found the library. I recall that while I was in the military, I found a bit of help – a magazine or newspaper to read. To this day, I never eat in public without something to read. It makes a big difference in how people see you.

fiona

I had no probs at school but work life yes. In my job now I can go out at dinner/lunch which suits me fine and no one to anser to. Some jobs you have to be with everyone but not here thank god

cody2468

I have problems eating my lunch with the job I have now. I drive taxis for a living so no matter where I go and try to hide people see the taxi, see me trying to eat and still try to get me to drive them around. Once I was even sitting at a table nearby and next thing I get excuse me do you drive the taxi, I need to go somewhere now. Well excuse me I am on a meal break.

Have the same problem when I need to go to the loo. Hop out and even before I make it to the door they ask are you booked, why dont you want to make any money. It really annoys me as people seem to think we work 12 hour shifts without breaks as they get upset if you hop out for even 1 minute.

paul

I know what you mean about lunchbreaks. Unfortunately I never really found a good thing to do about that, just time. It's really annoying because they are so scary, just a social time.

You know what my school has? Recess! I mean, wtf! I'm all for recess and everything but we're in 8th grade, and it's like a double lunchbreak. Really bothers me.