My dark problem.

Bezerkian

Hi. I never thought I head on here to post this but now, It's all I can do.

I have a form of social anxiety known as "Selective Mutism". Yeah, I know I'm a little old (17) to have it but, I do. I have no behavioral issue, most people know me as a real nice guy.

I haven't talked in school for years yet, talked alot everywhere else. In late January, I tried to change my life independantly for the better. I found a group of kids which I like before I started talking with them and started communicating to them via notes. I wrote 6 front/back notes of who I was and who I am. Like a long introduction. I told them I was trying to start talking in school. But, at the time I told them that talking in school would be an effortless turn-key process. I'm an overconfident person so, I believe I could handle it.

The 2 people I selected have grown to love me in a matter of days. They saw me as a friend they never knew they had. At the end of the 2nd week, I gave them both my phone numbers. We talked all the time outside of school. They really like me and said they think I would be so much cooler if I talked in school. I agreed and without theropy, hope to overcome my disorder. Now, I never told them I had this until last week. I just said my silence was just an act and nothing more.

As the weeks went on, I hung at my friend's house. At that point he kept saying "whenever your ready man.". Then, not listening I have thrown myself in social situations headlong. I have risen up to be the anchor for a announcement show for a day at school. This was limited to one class. The thing was, if I was force to a social situation, I trick my disorder into thinking otherwise, therefore, able to do it effortlessly. As time went on, I felt my friend (girl) is getting slightly farther away since she is starting to ignore me a little. So I called her on the phone saying I couldn't lose her and stuff. She says "It dosen't matter if talk in school, I'll still be your friend." and "We are not forcing you, take it at your own pace"

Later I went over to her house since we had to do this video project. I figured since we had a camera, I can make a speech at her house and then show in front of the class. Well, anyways, I asked them over and over if they wanted to do this. They kept saying "yes".

Then the next day came... little did I know, my life would be changing for the worse. We got to school and usually quiet wating for the video to be shown in 5th period. Unfortunately, things changed. As soon as I got there, to think we have been hanging out last night, neither say "hi" or acknowledge my existence. I was in confusion, I honestly thought they forgot about last night. So, I went home that day feeling so-so. Things just got worse. The next week, my friend (girl) ignored me, not even looking at me. My other friend knew what was going on but, didn't say much.

It got worse, I tried writing letters to them and asked what is wrong. She simply torn up and threw them out. The next time I got on the phone with her she was yelling at me: " I been wating over a month, I don't see what is so hard about talking in school! Just F***ing talk!" and "You don't need that video!" and my other friend was like "No offense dude, but, I see were she's coming from". So, I tried my hardest to talk in school. It wasn't much but, I did do it. But, it was quietly with them and had to get closer for them to hear me. I have a soft voice, this makes matters worse.

After 2 weeks of that, they said it's not enough and don't understand why I can't talk in school the best of my ability like I can anywhere else. This has torn me up horribly. I lost sleep, I got sick, I became an emotional wreck. Thursday was a very bad day for me, I had went out to the bus stop during a down pour and sat on a wad of gum at my desk without knowing. The thing that absolutely killed me though is that my friend (girl) be-friended me. She said she can't be my friend If I can't talk to her in school normally." Now, I was in a serious fury of mixed emotions, feeling all guilt and no mercy from either. I talked to her on the phone yesterday, she said that it was never her problem (which I know) and she dosen't want to be a part of it or know me. That's when I admitted to having SM to her. She said "If you had a social disorder, then you should get help because it's not my problem." I have been getting help but, I failed to tell her. My other friend in the meantime only says "Don't know what to tell ya." over and over again.

I knew they were getting frustrated over me not talking but, after she said all those thing you wrote above and all the trust and love we shared and then treating me the way I was being treating and ending it like this? This world is so cruel. I'm left out in the cold alone again. I failed to complete my task in exceptable time.

Here we are, 2:31 AM saturday morning and what a fantastic way to start spring break. I'm left with nothing worth pushing myself to talk for, one less friend, no self-esteem, no morale. I feel hopeful but, helpless at the same time. Most of you would think "Just leave her and move on" But, no. I'm attached to her as more than a friend. So, I'm unable. My other friend is next to follow her. At this point I realise there is nothing I can say to fix things, they won't believe me on anything.

This is where I need help which I can't get from them. I have spring break to think about this. I need to know a way I can force myself to be in situation were I must talk. For instance, everyone knows me as silent but, when someone I have been talking to says "No he talks" I'm obligated to say "Hi" at least. Here's my current plan. I am going to make a out flyers that say "Do you realise I talk now?!" and post them around the school with my signature. While doing that I hold one in my hand and raise it as high as a can and jump around getting attention. That way, if they see this I will obligated to talk, therefore, will.

My goal is to talk in school but, more importantly get my friend (girl) to be my friend again.

Like I said, I want you guys to give some tips about how can overcome this in other ways. Also, your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

despise

wow...i had no idea that social phobia was so different in so many ways. 8O i guess we can all tell how devoted you are to this girl..and i really understand that. im not too sure what to say..or if i can possibly give you any half decent advice. from what i read, the thing that would make your mates happiest is for you to prove to them that you can talk at school. but im not sure if flyers is really talking. but i dont know how else it would be done either. :? what would you do after you let everyone know you can talk to them in school? would you really talk?
im sorry...you asked for help and im not being much help at all. all i can say really is just try to talk...at least to your two friends...try to make it as casual as possible. like "hey, how are you guys doing today? notice im talking nice and clear? how was your weekend?" now im not sure how hard saying something like that will be...but i sure know that once you do something you fear or cant normally do...you feel really good about yourself..and in the future things should get easier.
im not sure if i helped you at all. but i just want to say im willing to talk to you whenever you want to. good luck, and i wish you all the best!

Bezerkian

Well, the flyers is so people read them and then come to me saying "You talk?" and then as easy as cake I can say "Yeah." In other words, I need to be confronted and forced to spreak. I know this is wierd and seems silly but, thats how SP is. Outside of school, I'm a totally different person, I'm on the outgoing side matter of fact.

Oh and a reason I'm so dedicated to this girl is because she told me even though she dosen't have a SP problem that she never talked in middle school but, now is very outgoing. So, I felt I found someone who went through what I been. It also alot more than that but, I can spare the details.

I know it seems hard but, I can accomplish it. Thanks.

jourjaune

I'm really outgoing out of school too. I never talked to anyone when I was going and I'm the same age as you, I don't think your too old to have it. SP unfortunatly doesn't stop at a certain age. I only talked when someone talked to me. I think your friends are kinda mean to do that to you however I lost a lot of good friends due to this too. The only advice I can give is the one thing I would of done given a second chance, try my hardest not to loose them, whatever that may have to be. Good luck

Bezerkian

jourjaune said:
I'm really outgoing out of school too. I never talked to anyone when I was going and I'm the same age as you, I don't think your too old to have it. SP unfortunatly doesn't stop at a certain age. I only talked when someone talked to me. I think your friends are kinda mean to do that to you however I lost a lot of good friends due to this too. The only advice I can give is the one thing I would of done given a second chance, try my hardest not to loose them, whatever that may have to be. Good luck

Sir, you've just described me. But, I will take the second chance, my percerverance(sp?) is through the roof. I will not give up.

With her not being my friend at the moment, I realise I'm able to push on to things such a plotting a scheme. Stuff I could do back in febuary. I gave up the flyer idea and decided to just hold a sheet of paper above my head and jump around. Attention is all I need, that's how I'm going to get it, non-verbally.

This could all be waste if she won't be my friend again. Yes, I would talk in school and with that cure my SM and have a chance living a normal life but, without her as at least a friend, it would feel like a wasted effort.

despise

if you havnt already, then you should tell her exactly that:
This could all be waste if she won't be my friend again. ......a chance living a normal life but, without her as at least a friend, it would feel like a wasted effort.
so when you do talk to her..make sure you let her know why your trying so hard.
anyway...good luck making any sense out of my post! :lol:

Bezerkian

I haven't told her that but, I can't until after I overcome it. Or else she'll hit me with the "Why do I care if you talk? You should be doing this for yourself, not for me, I don't care!".

But, for a person with an SP, I'm very optimistic, I WILL overcome this next week. Even if it hurts, it won't be for long.

Bezerkian

Well... it's Saturday... I must report that I half-completed my task.

Do I talk openly in school now? Yes but, I don't talk alot and if I do I do it very quietly.

Does that girl I keep bringing up my friend again? No, actually it's worse than ever. I think she actually hates me. But, I told my other friend the true reason why I was unable to speak (the full truth) and he feels bad the way he treated me and I apoligized for my behavior and being guilty of not telling him at first. I haven't heard from him today but, he said he'd call her today to convince her to be my friend again.

So, in other words, my problem is almost fixed. Stay tuned.

----Edit----

It's monday. Now, I'm faced with what I feared. A problem I don't think I capable of solving... my friend says that my former friend dosen't like for what I done wrong that I didn't know I did wrong. Tommorow, my friend said he get her to sit down and talk to me... guys, I need your help more than ever now.

How do I convince her to be my friend again?...

She claims to my friend that I had given' them an attitude when I was only joking but, because my SA is SOOOO bad and STUPID they took it seriously but, never told me.

She claims I said stuff under my breath about them that was bad when thats not true.

Also, she takes when I said "I love you" seriously. Like I was trying to date her. When it was only in a friendship way but, she claims I didn't know her enough and she has boyfriend. I knew this. But, she said "I love you" to me more times than I could count back then.

That's what my friend told me today. Now, my friend said he would talk to her tommorow... but, I can't depend on him.

This is an uphill battle... what should I do?

Should I:

-A. Say my sorry about my mistakes and ask for a second chance.
-B. Explain to her the mistakes she made. Then explain mine. Finally, ask for a second chance.
-C. None of the above. (explain)

Now, before or after this should I explain her the whole nine yards of my problem such as the depth of my SA?

There you guys... I'm counting on you to give me advice... I need you more than ever... I want this to become a success story not a failure.

Thanks, Bezerkian.

---04-14-05---

I opened up in school and she's my friend again... matter of fact, she more my friend then she ever was before.

My dark problem has seen the light(solved). May I rest easy.