realize how severe OCD can be. They don't know what goes on inside my
head and they don't know what it feels like to not be able to control
it. I have told my mom about it but she refuses to take me for medical
attention. Lately I found out about more and more symtoms I have that I
never knew related to OCD. I really just want somebody to talk to that
really understands what I am going through. I don't know where else to
turn!

CAN2

We all understand what you're going through. I have intrusive thoughts myself that have gotten worse in the last 2 months since my family has disowned me-being gay and all. Stress definitely makes it worse.

If you can, get this book:

Freedom From Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder- A Personalised Recovery Program for Living With Uncertainty. (Jonathan Grayson, Ph.D)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freedom-Obs...3061323?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231641811&sr=1-5

hope you can link through. i just started reading it little by little, taking notes as i go, and it's helped quite a bit. today i made the discovery of telling yourself "it might happen. and it might not". --living with uncertainty.

If your parents wont take you, then go to your GP on your own if you can, and ask him to refer you to a good psychologist who is very well trained in OCD specifically. Maybe look online for one in your area and contact them.

good luck

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 21 22 24 25 654 84 4448526 57426 62248 254

________
| |
| |
| |
|_______|

isnteasy

I had it bad when I was around 15 / 16. It caused me to get really bad grades in school and NOTHING that was normally fun for me was fun at all while I was going thru this. Keep in mind this was back in the early 90's when NO one really knew as much as they do now so my parents were like "whatever" I tried explaining it to my parents but they totally didn't get it. I still don't know why to this day but one day it all just went away. I told myself that I was going to make up my own rules for the OCD and that ended up working!! I couldn't believe it..I still had mild OCD thoughts here n there but NOTHING that was keeping me from having fun. Now here I am 31 years old and it's all coming back. I recently got laid off from my job that I'd been at for 6 years and am having a baby soon so I think it's from all the stress subconciousely. I'm really debating on what to do. Meds that they have for OCD really really suck. Their side effects are horrible and they turned me into a zombie.. only thing i've found that works at all is 5HTP. It's a natural amino acid that converts into serotonin (the feel good stuff in your brain) ONly been taking 100 mg a day but it's enough to make me happier and not obsess on this shit as much. Sometimes I feel i'd rather lose a limb than live with this OCD.. it's horrific and I don't think enough people really really know how bad it really is.

It can be pretty much cured with CBT.. Gognative Behavioural Therapy. Basically that trains your brain to think differently over time. By not giving into the rituals or thoughts over and over again, that tells the brain that it's no use sending the error message anymore. Think about it.. how hard would it be to touch the bottom of your shoe, then tell yourself you are going to get sick and die repeatedly every 10 seconds.. You'd give up eventually right? that's how your brain works.

This website really helped in calming me down and giving me tons of hope. Read this.. The Dr. who wrote this KNOWS what he's talking about.

www.ocdonline.com/definecbt.php