Nervous Newbie Long Post I'm Sorry

JAY_UK

Hopefully I'm doing this right. Why am I so scared about posting this? Sorry if this gets double posted. It didn't work the first time.

I don't even know where to start. I've been agoraphobic for about 4 maybe 5 years. I could go out, but only if my mum was with me and even then I'd sometimes freak out. I also suffer with I suppose Social Phobia, depression and low self esteem.

A bit of background stuff. I had an underbite, which never bothered me in my teens, it was when I became an adult that I hated the idea of people looking at me. I had surgery almost 2 years ago. It was hell, worst thing for me is staying in a hospital. I haven't left the house in a year. One of them being that operation didn't turn out right my bottom lip goes to the left and my top to the right. I was crushed as I'd had to suffer years of having to bear going to the hospital. That's when I became 100% housebound. It's hard to explain to people, but I'd given up. I knew it wasn't going to fix all my problems, but it would've helped. I wouldn't constantly be thinking, they're looking at you because of your jaw. Anyway I still have braces on and now have gotten cavities and I have to go to the dentist and the orthodontist. Even thinking about it scares me so much I start to sweat. I have to go back and have another op to fix my jaw, but I haven't got the strength to go through it all again.

I know people are probably thinking, why is she talking about this shit in an agoraphobic forum? Well if I posted this in a dentist type forum, most people wouldn't understand. They would say things like everyone is scared of the dentist etc. Thing is I'm not scared of pain. I'm scared of something happening when I step outside or that they'll say things that'll make me want to cry.

I wanted to know if I could get some advice. I know I have to go. I'll cause myself health issues if I don't have my teeth done, but I cant walk out the door. I've really tried, but I freeze up.

Another of the reasons I haven't been able to go outside was because of my panic attacks that are pretty much constant. I had my mum take me to the hospital twice in the early hours because I thought (and still think) there is something wrong. I had so many tests the first time and he said it's probably anxiety. The second time I went the doc didn't even do any tests he just sat me down and tried to get me to talk. I still don't think that they're right. I'm terrified of sleeping because I feel like I'm not breathing as I drift off and so I wake myself up.

I know you're all probably bored of hearing my life story, but I had a couple of questions for those who have social phobia too. Do you feel really stupid when someone asks you a simple question? A doctor will say okay what's your name? And my mind goes blank and I'm thinking, what's my name? Oh my god, what is it? Othertimes I cant even speak and communicate through nods and shakes of the head. If there's a knock at the door or the phone rings when I'm alone I feel terrified.

This is a very long post, but I've had this inside for so long. My agroaphobia, my family they just don't understand. I feel if I go outside I get so many things go through my mind. It can be as small as, people will look at me or try to talk to me. And then to the extreme of I'm going to get raped, tortued, stabbed etc. Even inside the house I'm scared, but only when alone. I think people will break in and hurt me.

I've lost all my friends because of this stuff. Not really friends I suppose as two weeks after becoming agoraphobic they vanished. I'm sick of being scared and lonely. I will be 25 next year and I feel like I've missed the best part of my life. A line from a play/movie always springs to mind. "Sometimes I hate being alive, but I'm too afraid to be dead."

Sorry for waffling on. I didn't mean to write so much. I just need to know that others feel the way I do, people who understand. I'm not crazy, am I?

Hi Jay. It's good to let it all out sometimes. Welcome to the forums!

Hmm... Have you tried setting small milestones that you can achieve? Like as in today, go out the door two metres, tomorrow, four metres... Just a little bit further each day? As in gradually escalate? Like as in today, post a bit, tomorrow post more, and go on (up to you how) all the way to phone conversations with someone supportive (perhaps a 'samaritan' or 'helper', don't know what it's called where you live)... Then to going to buying some groceries and so on...

Just a little bit a day? I understand that it may seem challenging, but in my opinion, it's better than just going out immediately. Like exercise, if you go for the big weights immediately, they can be overwhelming, but if you build up slowly, you can definitely succeed.

Just a small suggestion. wait 2 secs to reload the image

scarletlee

Welcome Jay!

I sometimes feel stupid too when people ask me questions, for me it's if there is 2+ people that i don't know very well. My mind just freezes up and i become overly aware of the fact that they are listening to me.
You're not alone, i hope you find this site helpful :)

welcome! I use to have these horribel headaches for about three months non stop.. and I had atracks where I couldn't breathe and my hands and legs would get numb.. so I was really scared to get outta the house...especially for the breathing part... but I did, and so can u! no bullshit!!! good luck!! and try with small steps first.. :))))

Voltar

Welcome to SPW Jay and thanks for sharing your story. I think I had mild agoraphobia a few years ago which was made worse by my AvPD that I've had most of my life. I was 'addicted' to an online game called World of Warcraft and shut myself off from the world as much as possible for over a year. I didn't bother keeping up with friends as I thought they'd be better off without me and I would try to minimise the number of interactions I had with people each day. From my experience I can safely say that things just deteriorate the longer you try to avoid real life. It's like the brain starts attacking itself when there are no outside stimuli and the voices inside your head get pretty angry!

As a few others above have said, setting yourself goals in small steps really will help if you stick to it. You just have to keep going and find whatever works for you but don't give up on yourself, other people or life. You deserve a full life just as much as everyone else but it's up to you to take control of it.

The way I handle my SA and AvPD is just to force myself to put myself out there each day and have new experiences. One thing I think would really help you right now is to find someone who is very confident that you trust and get on really well with and hang out with them. Someone that isn't your mum because you might end up continually feeling sorry for yourself which will perpetuate in a closed environment.

For example, my brother is the complete opposite of me. Whereas I have SA, AvPD, don't like people looking at me and feel uncomfortable in a group (having 2 or more people staring at me is close to an out-of-body experience for me!), my brother is a barrister, full of confidence and a social animal. When I spend time with him out and about I feel really safe and more at ease in social situations. Like I'm in a protective bubble where nothing can negatively affect me. Being around someone confident, at least for me, has the effect of their positive energy rubbing off on me and instills a sense of objectivity and perspective. What I mean is that being around someone who is confident and strong can give you the courage to be strong too and overcome your own obstacles. Is there anyone you think could provide this role for you?

Lastly, I don't think you're crazy. Well, no more crazy than the rest of us on this forum :)

Hope that helps.

I used to be like that so I understand. It's funny how I couldn't even post on internet forums like this - nobody is gonna judge you or have any expectations for you. But have hope. you _can_ get better, with a positve mindset, persistence, and the right method.

JAY_UK

Thank you all for the nice welcome. It's nice to have people to talk to that understand what it's like.

Before when I was going out with my mum, I did do baby steps. Like I used to be glued to her side, but then I'd walk a little away from her in a shop and then be walking around the shop on my own. I knew if I freaked out I could go and find her. My mum thinks that maybe I pushed myself too much as the last time I went out was when I went on holiday with my family. {I know! I went on holiday). Even though I felt fine being outside when I was away, but a few days after I got back home I started getting bad panic attacks. I know I can do it, but I'm going to have to start all over again. I need to find the strength to do it.

To Voltar. I don't really have anyone except my mum. I have no friends, my cousins are below the ages of 12 and my older brother is disabled. He goes out, but I wouldn't feel safe with him.

Last few days I've been very bored which is not good as the negative thoughts keep creeping into my head. I've got books that I want to read, but it's not taking my mind of those stupid thoughts. What kinda stuff do you guys do to distract yourself? I don't really want to go back into my deep depression where I don't wanna do anything.

Ugh, I know. I wrote loads. Maybe I should give writing fic another go. Hee.

Anomaly

Thank you for not putting up a wall of text and using paragraphs :) Makes long-ish posts much easier to read.

lonelywolf

hey jay welcome to social phobia hope you enjoy posting on these forums and i wish you well in coping with your anxietys

206Raider

I know what it's like. I'm 21 and feel I'm getting progressively worse. I don't usually leave the house if I do it's to the store or something like that. I'm afraid I'm still young but if this is how my life is during the best years what am I gonna do when I'm in the same spot at 30 I can't go through with that. I'm convinced that if I can't get better soon about leaving the hosue and making friends again or getting a job or college then whats the use of life if you aren't happy. I might as well end it then but I ain't suicidal know