new memmbers story

stevo

hiya,im a new member,this is my first post on this site.just wanted to tell my story really.im 35,and have had an extreme blushing problem for as far back as i can remember,even when i was in infants i used to go bright red when girls or the teacher talked to me.this carried on all through my adult life,i used to blush absolutely bright red in work when people talked to me,when id be paying for something in a shop,buying drinks at the bar,getting on a bus,when my sister talked to me even.i gave up on dating,would go scarlet everytime i was asked a question or had to elaborate on something.anyway,i had the ets operation 4 years ago and it has helped me a lot.it didnt work 100%,but id say theres been about a 75% reducton in the blushing.i never blush in public anymore,eg.paying in shops,getting served at the bar,getting on the bus,which used to happen all the time.i dont even think about it anymore in those situations,to be honest.i can still blush when talking to people or when people ask me a question in the canteen at work,but its greatly reduced to what it used to be though,and also develops a lot slower,which helps a lot as well.
i had the op done on the nhs in england,hope this can give hope to a few people.

HH

Thanks for writing your story stevo, I'm really happy that you can get on with life better now. Its also good to hear that the operation worked for you, I think if someone blushes as much as you did then its probably the only option. I to sometimes blush when paying for stuff in shops-its the stupidest thing ever-I hate it. This blushing problem definately holds me back sometimes. It happened on the weekend when at a house party, I was talking to a good female friend and I could feel my face getting hot-I thought why am I going red!!!! I've been thinking for ages about going speed dating but I'm afraid my head will explode in that situation-talking to females I don't know, what a nightmare! :oops:

krs2snow

Hi Stevo. I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience with the operation. Was it scary? Were you totally sedated? How long did the surgery take? Any side affects from it? Anything you can share would be appreciated.

stevo

hiya,no the op wasnt scary,as a matter of fact id been looking forward to it for ages.i saw a piece in the paper about the operation,and i was really exited,because the person who they were interviewing said it had completely changed her life.so i booked an appointment with my doctor a.s.a.p,and told her about my problem,showed her the piece,and asked if she could refer me to somebody who could help me.this was early 2002.i got a letter a couple of weeks later with an appointment date for sept to see the surgeon.i was really nervous the day i went to see him,but i explained my problem again,he told me the risks,explained to me that he never performs the 2 parts of the operation on the same day,and that id have to go back on the waiting list for the second part,but id already decided that if he was willing to perform the op for me,that i would have it done.i had have it done,i couldnt opt out and then always be thinking what if,id never forgive myself.
about 6 months later i got an appointment for the first op,i went in,had it done,was home the next day.i knew it had worked from the dryness of my right hand,and i saw it in the mirror a few times,one half of my face white,the other red.looked weird.i was given an appointment to see the surgeon a couple of weeks later,where he asked me if i wanted the other side done,if the first op had worked.i said yes,and was placed on the waiting list again.i got a date for the second op about 9 months later,around march 2004.was free on the nhs in england.im very happy about the results,not 100% cured but a hell of a lot better,i just couldnt function socially before it.no side effects either,just the dry hands,but thats not a problem at all.
hope this has been helpful,any other questions just ask.