Organization/Study Skills

Angie_05

Hurricane said:
I once read something about mind-mapping...someone familiar with that technique?
I'm studying history in university and I really need to remember tons of facts and dates, someone who knows some helpfull tips on better learning?

Study in small blocks of time. The reasoning: the primacy and recency effect. The first thing you study in a session is remembered best, and so is the last. Therefore, the more sessions you have, the more primacy and recency you have. So study a small amount of material in one short session. Take a break, then study the next section. Break up the sections as you wish.

As for the dates and events, put everything into context. My professor taught us this when we were studying the history of Psychology. For example, Event B could not have happened without Event A. A led to B. I would do that first then start memorizing the dates. Maybe make a chart/timeline of events and dates. This helps organize the info.

I have done a lot of research in the area of memory for my major. What I found is that imagining things that need to be remembered helps a lot. Form a mental image of the event. Picture in your mind how that event led to the next event.

Good luck!

Angie_05

I bought a 5 subject spiral notebook, because I have 5 classes. Each section for a different class. This keeps it simple. All of my notes are in one notebook.

If we have had a test over the material, I skip a page in that section then write "Test 2" at the top of the new material section that is supposed to be for the second test. That way I don't get it confused with the information that I have already been tested over and dont need.

For loose papers, I just keep them in folders. Usually, 1 folder for 2 subjects.

Time management: this does vary from person to person. I don't spend huge amounts of time on schoolwork. I don't believe in that personally because you have to have a life too. I do break up studying and homework into short 30 minute sessions. I do homework at werid times too. I don't really need to put aside time to do it on most occasions. when I get a few minutes here and there, I make sure I have my books with me so I can just pull them out and start working. I do this between classes or when I'm waiting to meet with a teacher.

In some cases, you may just have to force yourself to open the books. Once you get started though, it's not as terrible as you think.