Panic attack? Maybe? 5 day lasting residual effects..

MTeeg86

Hey everybody. I'm new to this site. Found it while trying to figure out what happened to me. I guess it was a panic attack... It seems as though I might sound like a broken djembe, but this is new to me.

Last week, for the 3rd time in my life, I experienced something that might be a panic attack. It came on suddenly and unexpectedly. I went to lay down and read when I suddenly felt dizzy. My heart rate rapidly increased and I couldn't breathe: each breath felt like too little which caused me to accelerate my rate of breaths to catch up. Soon, I found myself scared I was having a heart attack. I tried to relax, alternating inhaling through my nose/exhaling through my mouth with inhaling with my mouth/exhaling through my nose. I thought it would give me something else to concentrate on other than the budding fear that my heart was going to explode. It only made things worse. I began to hallucinate when I closed my eyes and experience a fuzzy tunnel-vision when I opened them. Things got worse when I believe I leaped into the land of psychosis (I tried to talk reason with myself only to HEAR my inner voice respond with countless conflicting answers). After about 45 minutes of this, I attempted to stand and realized I could barely feel my appendages. They had gone numb, I was shaking uncontrollably, and my stomach was in knots. I wanted to call the hospital, but I had experienced something almost as intense 2 months earlier when my roommate was home and he said I was having a panic attack and everything was going to be okay. So, I decided instead, since my roommates were gone for Thanksgiving, to turn the shower on and sit down in the tub for a while. I sat in the shower for close to half an hour, got my sight back, and decided the worse was over. When I dried off and tried to lay down again, my body repeated the same as I mentioned above. I waited for another hour, sat in the shower again for another thirty minutes, and had my mind set on going to bed. No dice. It started again, just as intense, but I managed to calm myself (after 4 straight hours of this) just enough to fall asleep. It's been since last Thursday, and I feel extremely weak. I have this weird feeling in the center of my chest; sort of a tense, half numb mild burn. There are moments where I need have to urinate up to 5 times in an hour. Are what I'm experiencing residual effects from last weeks episode? Was it a panic attack or something else? It was the scariest moment of my life. I'm 25, bike a lot in hilly terrain (haven't since the incident), 6'1, and eat healthy. Not to mention I'm a very laid-back guy. The world gets me down sometimes, but doesn't it do that to everybody?

MTeeg86

Nuts! Thanks. I read that some post anxiety attack symptoms, if severe enough, can result in a weird chest numbing after. I have no idea, this is new ground for me, so I'll definitely get checked.