Phobia-related Agoraphobia

K

kxieee

Hey all,

So, emmm....this is going to be slightly embarrassing, but I'm sure you've heard it all so I'll just cut to the chase. I had an unexpected panic attack in a setting that I couldn't leave (with my anxiety came a sudden bought of diarrhea), and ever since then I have been suffering from agoraphobia based on the fear of having sudden diarrhea again.

I used to be able to do outdoorsy things, eat out all the time, and be just fine..so I know the diarrhea is anxiety related, but when I go out, I know if I get anxiety, I'll get it, which causes the anxiety..it's that endless anxiety circle. Anyways, I know one of the best ways to overcome is through exposure, but I have a question for those of you dealing with this symptom as well:

exposure really works for panic attacks because the person realizes that the panic attacks actually won't harm them in any way. you can sit through a racing heart, sweaty palms, etc....but when you get diarrhea, you can't just sit through it and be okay. if you get it in an uncomfortable situation, you actually DO have to do something about it. so my question is, how did/are you going about handling exposure therapy (IE: putting yourself in situations where you feel out of control, no bathrooms, etc)?

THANKS!