Playing a game...

xorocs

Okay, this may seem out of the ordinary, but maybe a year or 2 ago afte research and much reading i found out that many of the symptoms i have been expressing were linked to OCD.

Im the kind of person who likes to play computer games and mountain bike and just have fun. However, last summer i was playing a game and during the summer i had a really bad experience with OCD, which i would rather not talk about because it it quite embaressing. Anyways, this bad experience while playing this game throughout summer made me hate the game and feel as though if i played it again, the whole bad experience would come back.

I have recently bought a new game and wanted to play a certain aspect of it, but im scared if i do the bad experiences i had to endure during the summer would come back because the aspect of the game was similar to that which i played during the summer.

I know it sounds weird and maybe confusing, but i was just wondering what would you guys do in my position? I am scared to try it, but at the same time i want to so i can see if it will happen again and because i really want to play the game.

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt

Carstuar

I can relate to playing computer games, but without the actual issue, I don't know what you mean, I'm sorry :S

xorocs

Basically, i had a really bad experience during the summer when i was playing a game. The game i am currently playing has the same concept as the other. Im scared that if i play this game, the bad experience will return.

Im not sure if that clarifies it any better. Its almost as though it can be a "trigger" to my OCD maybe? I dont know if there is something like that or if its all in my head.

Carstuar

I think you might be onto something.
Anyway, whatever you do, don't get ADDICTED to a game. Especially if it's an online game. That's all the advice I can give you :)

xorocs

haha yea i know ive heard stories about people getting addicted. I dont think im that into games to become addicted though, if theres a chance i usually do something better, like mountain biking or hanging out with friends.

Thanks for your input,

Matt

OCD-01

Hi. I can partially understand your fears and believe me that I passed very very difficult times with my OCD and my thoughts and obessions are part of the weirdest amongst OCD sufferers. I'll talk a bit about my fears and this maybe will help you to enclose yours. Actually my obsessions are very weird and insane. I'll try to explain and clearify them. I'm active in modelling from scratch and I made some good items. I don't want to tell now what I'm exactly doing but prefer focus on my concerns. I use a lot of materials during construction and during painting I had some bubble wrap around. No I'm obsessed about this bubble wrap since I can't see a clear dome or hemisphere like thing (bubble wrap is made of tiny hemispheres) with partial stains of paint on it as I associate this to blindness (it is like I see the world in my mind through a cloudy lens). I used a grey primer and only the grey gives me this anxiety. I'm all day obsessed that some bubble wrap or other hemispheric objects could be covered with some paint and I put them all in the trash can. But my mind is not relaxed. I fear now that some of the wrap is inside of the models I built. So my compulsion would be to put them all in the trash. It is very complicated and frustrating and I know it is very very weird.
What is exaclty the fear you have with this game? Maybe you're afraid to beeing trapped inside the game? To dream about it or to loose the connection to the reality and that you' aren't able to see the difference between reality and imagination? If you don't want to write it in the forum send me a pm. I'm living in hell with my fears and obsessions and maybe I can understand yours.

dude im the same way haha. i do the thing with the games too. to this day i can't play games with sneaking around in them. you know what i mean? also i associate everything to bad things. like my best friend got me a really nice bracelet but while i wore it something bad happened. so now im terrified to wear it and i know its stupid but i just can't. and i feel bad because she bought it for me. meh.