Putting my dog down

MsBuzzkillington

I am feeling a bit... unsure right now. I am not really sure where to post this, so hopefully this is the right place.

A little back story... my mom's dog (I'll call her Britta) has been sick for a couple years now. I live in another state than my mom does and I remember when she called me to tell me that Britta was sick, we didn't think she was going to make it until my next visit. A few months later I came up to visit and she was "still kicking." But she was pretty sick and my mom was basically dumping tons and tons of money into keeping her alive. Every time I come up to visit Britta is even weaker, more sick, and just slowly deteriorating. It has been slightly heart breaking to watch, but my mom wasn't ready to let go.

Honestly I don't blame her, I mean... how do you make the decision to put your dog of 10 years down? It has to be an extremely difficult thing to have to go through. She also had a lot of regrets from our dog that had cancer that she put to sleep, she felt like she didn't fight hard enough.

I love that dog, don't get me wrong but part of me became slightly detached from her because I wasn't living here anymore. Not to mention, she is just not the same dog anymore and she hasn't been for awhile. She has basically been this lifeless animal that depressingly paces around the house and does nothing else.

I have been thinking like, "come on already let's put her down". But I've never said that to my mom. I have been getting annoyed with Britta, always in the way, pacing constantly, getting stuck places, peeing every where. I know she can't help it, but part of me was just like... we need to put her down already!

This trip up, my mom said Britta is getting much much worse and it's time to put her down. I was relieved, I thought... finally. It's sad of course, but this is the best thing to do. Britta has been in pain for a long time and it's kind of cruel to keep her alive longer.

My mom asked me when we should plan it... and that was kind of weird... planning the death of your pet. I told my mom to do it whenever she felt was the most right time, that she should do whatever she needed to do because this was obviously harder for her than it was for me.

I mean, I thought that I was okay with this, I thought it wasn't a big deal. For months I was expecting my mom to call and say Britta passed away, and I thought I was ready for it. But, now... it's tomorrow. Tomorrow. I keep thinking how tomorrow night Britta won't be around anymore. Tomorrow will be the last time I see Britta... ever. The house is going to be so quiet. Things are going to be so different. I am starting to feel really depressed and sad. I don't want her to be gone, I don't want her to go away. I feel... weird.

Even though I am feeling said about things, I know I won't cry. But I know tomorrow my mom is going to be a mess and I am going to be this stone cold heartless person who doesn't shed a tear. I have always handled the death of our pets differently, and I am starting to worry about tomorrow. Well, I've been worried about how I am going to act around my mom tomorrow. I feel awkward being around people when they are crying a lot (we are not hugging/affectionate people) I don't know how I am going to support her, I just... don't know.

Just had to vent. Things are sad.

MikeyC

We had to put our cat down after 21 years last year, so I know the pain you're feeling.

While it will be sad, you will know that it's the best thing for Britta. She's been living a hollow life recently due to her illnesses and, while it's sad and final, it will be the best thing.

Poor Britta. I know how sad and emptying it is to lose a pet. Stay strong.

Kiwong

Ageing in pets and people is unpleasant, the passing of a family pet is hard. I can't offer advice other than I hope you find the strength to get through tomorrow, and that when Britta's pain is over you and your mum can remember her as a great family friend.

1BlackSheep

I'm so sorry to hear about Britta. ::(: I've volunteered in dog rescue for many years and know how difficult it is to have to put them down. It's one of the single-most painful things I've experienced in my life. But, when the dog is in pain and no longer has quality of life, helping them cross over is the kindest thing you can do. It sounds like she's at this point.

If Britta is able to eat, give her all of her favorite foods tomorrow and make the time you have with her special. Remember all of the great times you've had and be a shoulder for your mom to cry on. It is going to be a very difficult day indeed. It might actually help that you are the strong one so you can provide support for your mom.

Hugs to you, your mom, and sweet Britta.

forksandspoons

Oh my, this is really rough. Sorry man. My family had to put our cat down, she was only 7 at the time. She was in good health, but had an unknown injury after she got out of a night. She wasn't up to date on her rabies shots, and down she had to go.

All I can say it, time heals it. I missed her for a while. I was only like 8 or 9 then, and since have got a new cat, whom I LOVE much more. I don't know what I would do if I had to put her down, probably cry for a month.

All I can say is, sorry man.

I feel for you, I really do. These kind of situations are never easy- especially if it's not through natural causes. But under these circumstances you'd be doing your dog a favor. Often the pet themself will feel it's time too.

There's no written rulebook on how to handle these situations. Let your mother know she can count on you to do practical things at least. Provide a ledge she can grab on to. For the rest, just go with the motions. It's as much your loss as it is hers.

I wish you good luck. It's never easy.

MsBuzzkillington

Thanks for the replies guys. It's just so surreal. I can't believe it's actually happening tomorrow. If only it could have just happened naturally things might not be as hard/weird.

I'll ask my mom what she needs tomorrow or what will make things easier for her. I guess it's good that I am here and not 900 miles away.

dottie

losing a pet is so, so hard but it definitely sounds like britta will be relieved. maybe you can cook or take your mom out for dinner. good luck.

Rembrandt Broam

This is so sad. ::(: I've been there myself, so I know what a terrible situation it is to be in but as others have said, you really are doing the best thing for Britta.

crescent

Take heart, I know it must be very hard for you and your mom, but if my dog had cancer I would do the same thing rather than see him passing life in suffering. It will still be a hard things to accept, but the pain will slowly go away.

Phoenixx

So sorry to hear about this. ::(: It's for the best though, since she's been sick for so long.

Losing a pet is hard. I still miss my dog, even though I haven't had him in 4 years. A couple years ago we even lost our oldest cat, he was 10. He was always so healthy, never sick, so when he died so suddenly it was pretty shocking for all of us.

jonas89

Its always sad to loose a great friend, but honestly it's worse to see a great friend suffer. So personally I would put him down as quickly as possible if I knew that he would be going to feel pain and little hope for a recover.

I have lost many great animals through life due to fact that I have spent big part of my childhood at my grandmas farm or my brothers farm now, and worst is to see animal that have to endure a lot of pain. You cant imagine how it feels to them if they are in a lot pain, but also they have to take all the stress having a visit from a vet all the time being put upon that as well.

MsBuzzkillington

Well, we took her in and it's all over. While I was sitting in the waiting room I almost started crying. A few times my eyes teared up, I wasn't really expecting that. Things seem to be okay right now.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your kind words.

emre43

Make sure to remember her when she was at her strongest and remember that she is no longer suffering.

RIP Britta ::(: