Quick fix sweat tips for interviews?

Beccaroo

Hey everyone! I have an interview on Thursday and of course I am more worried about my sweating than I am the actual interview! I have been off any treatments for a few months but I do have a few glyco pills leftover. I have pretty severe palmar HH, especially when put into stressful situations.

So how do you prepare for battle with your HH when you have a big event coming up? What are some tips to at least get semi-dry in 3 days, when its 90 degrees and humid as hell out?

I want these interviewers to focus on my awkward charm rather than my sweaty hands! Thanks :D

ZeeDeveel

Ok I think my first post is awaiting moderation so I'll just rewrite it without links.

Firstly, I'd say take your glyco pills if they work.

Secondly, by cooling down your pulse points (where you can feel your pulse), you can lower your core temperature as you're cooling all the blood which passes through there. So if I had Palmar HH (which i don't), I would try using a sports injury freeze spray like "Deep Freeze" or a cooling mist like "Magicool" on the inside of my wrists. There are also cooling gels available which could work great. By applying a cooling product on your wrist, all the blood which reaches your hand will be cooler and should make a big difference to your hand temperature.

Just be sure to get something unscented. The sports freeze sprays can be very smelly - they may do unscented ones though, I'm not sure.

It seems you can also get patches. Google "deep freeze cold patches". If you could conceal them by wearing a light, long sleeved summer top; could be a good solution.

Last edited:

annifer

Beccaroo if you're anything like me then overall body temp won't affect how much you sweat, even cold triggers it for me.

I weirdly had an interview last week and tried to apply perspirex to my hands the couple of days beforehand but it did nothing.

This is a a bit of a rubbish reply but I found just saying 'sorry, I've got sweaty hands, I'm a bit nervous' if they go to shake your hand meant that they were quite understanding as I think most norms get a bit sweaty too. Maybe just give it a bit of a rub on your trousers or whatever just before.

Good luck, what's the job?

:)

Beccaroo

Thanks everyone! I'm going to restart my glyco pills today but only until the interview is over. I usually try to lower my body temp by chugging ice water which sometimes does help me if it is super hot out but I'll check out those freeze patches and see if that does anything when I am indoors.

And it is a graduate assistantship job for my school for a semester so it's not a huge deal but would be really helpful to my poor bank account if I get it! I'll post back after Thursday and let you know how the sweating went!

ukchick

I have taken in to an interview,a chilled bottle of water.This would make your hands damp anyway so wouldn't look odd. I also have had kitchen roll in my hands and explain...sorry..but I have a cold/ hayfever etc.These excuses were accepted readily in my experience.
Good luck xx

swissa

To dry out hair a little and absorb sweat leading to greasy hair - put some baby powder on your roots and brush it through your hair :)

This can also work if you rub it in your hands! Good luck ! :)

uksam

In situations like this I usually take a bottle of water that is ice cold (taken out the freezer just before it freezes over), and if possible I arrive early and sit somewhere, for example outside in a park if theres one very close. Drink the water, hold it against your body and, as someone else mentioned, against your wrists. This will give your body a chance to cool down, and helps if you get quite hot from travelling (its a big issue for me, even just a 5 minute walk in the summer is enough to end disastrously)

I'd take the glyco, try and remember what was most effective for you as far as time between meals.

Good luck! And the less you think it will happen, the less it will happen!

Beccaroo

Thank you everyone for all your tips and suggestions!

I wanted to give you all a quick update on my interview from Thursday. It actually went really well! It was a cool 70 degree day which is unusual since it had been in the low 90s earlier that week so I got pretty lucky. I had drank ice water, taken glyco as well as an anti-anxiety medication, and blasted the A/C in my car unnecessarily high for the whole 5 minute car drive.

The office was on the third floor which worried me since the stairs could increase my body temp/heart rate (weird things you think about with HH, right?) but it wasn't a problem. I got to the office in a relatively calm state and didn't see anyone but they must have heard me and came out right away. I shook hands with 2 people and I would say my hands were only very slightly clammy! I did not feel embarrassed at all.

However, during the interview, while I was sitting down was when the sweat erupted. I had put some paper towels in my bag and had to stealthily reach in my bag and give it a quick squeeze... I'm not sure if they noticed. At one point I had touched my clothes and left a wet mark from the sweat as well.

Other than the sweat attack mid-interview, it went very well and thankfully there were no closing handshakes, since the lady wanted to show me pictures of her grandson instead!

After living with HH my whole life, I try not to let it get me down and occasions like this interview, I count as a small victory in my book!