Recovering Agoraphobic

michelle8

Hello to everyone on the forum,

My name is Michelle and I am a recovering agoraphobic.

My agoraphobia came out of the blue one day in April 2009. I was in the car with my husband on the anniversary of my late brothers birthday who had suddenly died in 2008.

We were travelling to the local crematorium to place flowers on his interred ashes when sudden panic struck. The overwhelming feeling of panic, fear, wanting to be sick was followed by a light-headedness and the terrible sense of not wanting to be outside continued until I got home which was a great relief.

27 months later and I was still inside sadly watching and waving from the window of what I called my ‘cocoon‘. It was my safe, secure four walls which I had grown to hate. I would watch as my husband and teenage daughter went out shopping. Life went on around me as I was stuck inside.

Not only was I feeling sad I was also angry with myself for allowing this problem to rule my life. By not going out I had developed a sense of paranoia. I did not want anyone to see me, what if I had a panic attack in daylight? everyone would see.

Somehow I found the courage and strength to slowly venture outside. I managed this by doing small steps at a time.

I first overcame my fear of open spaces by going out at night where the street would be virtually empty. If I did take a panic attack no one would see me. I would also always have either my husband or daughter with me at all times. I would never recommend going out alone.

Things which I have discovered can help when going back out into the open world are:

1. Get an ice cold bottle of water that is freezing by putting it in the freezer for at least an hour. You will need this to go out with.

2. Have a facecloth soaked in water and lightly wrung and put in a waterproof bag. You will also need this to go out to cool down flushing if you experience this.

3. If panic is starting to creep in tap your thumb and pointy finger together gently. A friend or family member could also kindly get you a clicker that is used in dog training this will preoccupy your mind for your biggest step ever. When you step outside your door.

4. You must open the front door by yourself no one else can do this for you. You are now going to be in control.

5. If you do begin to take a panic attack outside (you must never ever turn back) you are beginning to take control of your life again :)

It has been a month since I started going out especially during daylight hours. Every time I do go out it is a challenge but I am determined to get the better of my fear of open spaces. The best advice would be to go to a large retail park instead of a shopping centre as they tend to be quieter.

I hope my advice will help some of you who are still struggling to beat this debilitating social phobia.

WeirdyMcGee

Welcome to the forum, Michelle!

Your story really does touch me, as I am agoraphobic as well.
Have been for about 8 years- some times it's worse, some times I get bouts where I'm better but I've always had panic/anxiety disorder and body dysmorphia which I think really contributes to not wanting to leave my room.

This time around, it's been about 2 years that I've been in my room.
I exercise daily, eat right but I'm unable to shake this depression and I'm still unable to leave the house alone in the daytime.
I live in a tourist town that's busy in summer and winter- so maybe once summer ends, I'll have a better chance of practicing going out on my own until the first snow when it gets busy again?
I'll keep fighting as well as I can and I hope you do as well!

michelle8

Hi there :)

Thank you for reading my experience.

I think the turning point for me was finding out my uncle had terminal cancer in July. This made me more determined to try and go out during the day to see him one last time before he travelled back to his home.

The way I thought about it was through no fault of his own he had developed cancer and nothing could be done to cure him.

But the more I thought about it the more I realised my agoraphobia was something that could be cured, that I was now determined to cure.

It's strange how the sad news made me put things into perspective.

Admittedly it does take me about an hour to leave my home.

I take a few deep breathes and I open my door constantly saying,

I can do this, I will do this, I am doing this.

When I first went out during the day the noise seemed amplified from bus engines and radios playing in cars because I had been in my 'cocoon' for such a long time.

I am managing to accept this by taking my ipod with some favourite songs to distract me.

Could you please maybe open your front door and take a small step outside?

The feeling of being able to open the door by yourself and go forward a few tentative steps makes you feel you've achieved something wonderful and it is!

Trying to push yourself too quickly leaves you feeling disorientated so take it gently and at your own pace.

I know it has been a long time for you but stepping outside your front door will be the best thing ever.

Please keep me posted on your impending success. You will conquer this. :)

Blabla..

Hi Michelle and welcome !

I can truly relate to your story , i know how it feels to walk around in circles , ready to go out , but usually giving up . After spending so long inside , the outside world feels like another place i have never been to , the cars , the people walking , the loud noises , it's all overwhelming .

If i want to go out , it has to be spontaneous , so i don't have time to get too anxious , if i wait more than 10 min i usually end up giving up.