Shopping too much

I heard this issue isn't OCD per-se, but because I have OCD I do believe it is a related symptom.

I am an online shopaholic. Most of the time, it's at night. What happens is, I find something I like or a really good deal, and I obsess over the item until it's in my possession. I fixate on it as if it's the one thing
that will make my life complete. If I just had "X," then I would feel so complete. Then, to relieve the anxiety I make the purchase, but the satisfaction is short lived. I just move on to the next desire.

At one point I was getting packages in the mail everyday! It feels good to get a package in the mail, like it's a gift or something to look forward to. Starting a business helped curb the useless spending, because I could buy things for my business and feel that satisfaction when I click "complete order." The problem is, I've gotten myself into a financial hole like I have never experienced. I have $12,000 in credit card debt and nothing good to show for it. I spent much of that money on fast food and coffee. Some of it was for the business. But I feel sick with myself. I just started Lexapro in addition to my usual Paxil regimen, in the hopes that getting rid of the anxiety might save me money.

Does anyone else here struggle with compulsive spending habits?

Cal

I like to collect things... for example... anything music related, whether it's cd's, dvd's or memorabilia, I also own a lot of box sets of movies and TV seasons/cartoons and whatnot. I realise this isn't the same thing, I refuse to get a credit card, and I budget to make sure I don't spend more than I earn from work, to ensure that I'm still saving money. But still...

Doing a rough estimate, I'd say I have at least $10,000 worth of that stuff, and the fact that I could've just downloaded it all eventually for free makes it all the more aggravating, but I just can't help myself. Collecting stuff and researching new bands is like my creative outlet, I don't have anything else to put my time and energy into on weekends.

I realise this is like an addiction for me, I NEED to go out and make a purchase of some sort at least once a week, otherwise I don't see my collection expanding, which causes me frustration. I think I need help.

Thank you both for your responses. After you mentioned bipolar disorder I looked into it and will research it more, but I am not sure it is something I have.

I can definitely understand the need to collect. When I am interested in something I tend to accumulate a lot from the theme. I am glad you are able to work within budget, even if it gets a little spendy!

Quiet Angel

I can somewhat relate. Often times, whenever I'm attending an event, I feel very tempted to puchase items because I feel as though my time isn't worthwhile or satisfying. :) Luckily, I'm not too addicted, but I hope it'll decrease for ya.

sabbath

Banned
Doing a rough estimate, I'd say I have at least $10,000 worth of that stuff, and the fact that I could've just downloaded it all eventually for free makes it all the more aggravating, but I just can't help myself.

I almost fell for the hype of The Beatles catalogue being remastered. But when I heard that most of the CDs are only half full, I realized it's just a scam. The recording industry is mainly run by crooks. They still charge way too much for CD's, and super audio CDs are almost impossible to find. That being said I'll probably buy the new Megadeth, Rammstein, Pearl Jam CDs because my truck doesn't play mp3s yet. :p

WelshOne

I think a lot of people enjoy spending money. There is a saying along the lines of, "The more you spend, the more you want to spend."

I can relate to looking forward to getting packages in the mail. It's similar to opening a present on christmas day ;) Even if you know what it is, there's something pleasurable about it. I guess when you don't have a whole lot going on in your life, these little pleasures matter.

VioletTears

I go through phases like this as well. Last weekend I spent over $500 online. Actually I also spent another $100 two days before that. Most of it was on clothes, toys, books, etc for my son. $150 of it was on racy lingerie. Now all the packages have been coming and I'm feeling an overwhelming sense of guilt because of course I know my husband wouldn't approve. And I don't even dare wear my lingerie because I'm affraid he'll realize how much I spent on it.

I do question whether I have bipolar II but I don't know. I'm diagnosed with major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety. The main thing that makes me wonder is that three or 4 times a year I get in these moods where I will work tirelessly on cleaning and house projects. A few weeks ago I swapped our bedroom with my son's, tore down wallpaper, refinished the floor in his new room two years after starting it (yes, we had a half refinished floor for 2 years), painted and decorated his room, ordered tons of stuff for it... But after 2 or 3 weeks I burned out, and so for the past month our bedroom has been halfway painted deep purple, our closets still aren't swapped, we have laundry heaped on the floor, our house is a disaster... This is always my cycle. If you could diagnose someone based on the state of their house I would be bipolar for sure. But I never become socially confident, I would never have an affair, things like that... I'm almost always anxious around people, and more often than not I'm just really depressed and suicidal.

Last edited:

nicknamehere

I heard this issue isn't OCD per-se, but because I have OCD I do believe it is a related symptom.

I am an online shopaholic. Most of the time, it's at night. What happens is, I find something I like or a really good deal, and I obsess over the item until it's in my possession. I fixate on it as if it's the one thing
that will make my life complete. If I just had "X," then I would feel so complete. Then, to relieve the anxiety I make the purchase, but the satisfaction is short lived. I just move on to the next desire.

At one point I was getting packages in the mail everyday! It feels good to get a package in the mail, like it's a gift or something to look forward to. Starting a business helped curb the useless spending, because I could buy things for my business and feel that satisfaction when I click "complete order." The problem is, I've gotten myself into a financial hole like I have never experienced. I have $12,000 in credit card debt and nothing good to show for it. I spent much of that money on fast food and coffee. Some of it was for the business. But I feel sick with myself. I just started Lexapro in addition to my usual Paxil regimen, in the hopes that getting rid of the anxiety might save me money.

Does anyone else here struggle with compulsive spending habits?

This has recently happened to me and it occurs often too. I feel the urge that I must have the items at that instant moment otherwise it will be stuck into my head with uneasiness and anxiety. The outcome, my mailbox is going to be busy for the next week or so.

This has recently happened to me and it occurs often too. I feel the urge that I must have the items at that instant moment otherwise it will be stuck into my head with uneasiness and anxiety. The outcome, my mailbox is going to be busy for the next week or so.

Yes, it is that exact feeling. You must get the item or else your mind will be obsessing over it and you will feel anxious. I do wonder if this is another manifestation of OCD or if it is something else. It is something for which I feel little control. I know to an outsider reading this, it might sound like a cop-out. A way to avoid responsibility for my own actions. I definitely understand it. I thought anyone who digs themselves into a financial hole must be a moron. Now, look who that moron is!

:cool:

rodinski

And then once you get it, it isn't as awesome of what you think?

Ya, I get this all the time. Even if it is still worth while once I get it. I find that I need to collect things, get new things, always upgrade, get something faster, replace old things, etc. And once the old thing is gone, I worry about it, or I miss it, or I develop a connection to it.

You know, gotta prepare for the inevitable. These coins, need to keep them all, when Europe invades North America and Euro is the new world currency.

Practically, it has some link to OCD. People can be a shop-a-holic and not have OCD, but if you do, you tend to have a tendency to do such things.

I wish I wasn't poor so I could afford to be a shopaholic. XD

This is my problem, Jake. I have creditors calling me for the first time in my life. I have dragged my credit into the pits of unaffordable luxury! I can't afford to be addicted to shopping, but I am. You are lucky you have the sense to control it!

Practically, it has some link to OCD. People can be a shop-a-holic and not have OCD, but if you do, you tend to have a tendency to do such things.

This is what I figured. I know it is not considered OCD - it's in it's own category, as with compulsive gambling. But I am certain my dad has obsessive compulsive disorder, and he also suffers from compulsive gambling and compulsive shopping! They must be related, being compulsions.

Chrystal