Social Anxiety and crippling muscle tension

soarer

I was wondering if anyone else has muscle tension as their main anxiety symptoms like I do. I believe my Social anxiety is about as bad as it can get and things like just walking down a road where cars go by is a major ordeal for me. As for walking down sidewalks on highways I likely couldn't even do it without my legs getting so tense I would almost freeze. Every muscle in my body seems to be affected and the longer I stay in situations where I am more out in the open and able to be watched or looked at the worse my muscle tension gets. People likely think I'm a cripple at times and it can be very embarrasing. Is there anyone else out there that gets severe muscle tension as a result of their Social anxiety?

wutnow

Yeah, I get this, in large crowds also, especially when walking uphill or across a large open space. But it only happens if there are people around and I am alone. If I'm with someone else, I'm okay. My ankles and calves would be sore after episodes of that.

I haven't gotten over it. But it's improving. Just need some more time to deal with it.

GettingThere

Its tough when you know that you are being watched. Sometimes I think that it would be easier to run away than walk!

I think that all you can do is to try to relax by thinking of something nice, anything really that takes your mind off of the situation.

Y

I learn different symptoms everyday, but this one is really unbearable. We're really wierd... :wink:

Chilling__Echo

i don't think i had it so serverely but i was a board of wood when i got home from school everyday in high school. i'd get cramps from it and everything. showers are the best!

Dedication

Yeah...walking down the street or being in crowds really creeps me out. I feel like screaming and running as fast as I can to safety which is not cool at all.

I have found, though, that there are some muscle relaxation techniques that work. I recently started meditating...working on my breathing...trying to reach a state of calm. Part of the strategy is to combine muscle relaxation with a key word like "calm"...so after a few weeks of practicing, if you find yourself escalating into panic, you can take a moment and think to yourself "calm" and your body instantly relaxes. It's pretty cool. I'm not saying I'm a Zen Buddhist guru or anything but I find this helps a lot. There are tons of books and tapes out there on the subject. Like everything else in life relaxation takes some work, though.

Crimefish

Yeah, I have some problem with my jaw that my dentist couldn't do anything about... maybe I clench it or hold it funny when I'm stressed, without realising it. *Sighs* :roll:

Fredscars

i dont have it badly or anyhting..and i think i get it almost the opposite. i odnt get cramps, more completely lose the feeling in my legs. Cant walk cos i cant remember where my legs are or how to move them :?
lol but hey, im sorry i cant give you any advice mate

JWH

Wow, that is pretty bad. I guess most of us are affected psychologically.

I haven't had muscle tension as a primary symptom of anxiety, but I have underlying sleep issues which have caused me to grind the enamel off the back of my teeth. A podiatrist may also be able to help you with the walking but yeah, get some therapy first - there is a lot I suspect you can do about this.

What also may help is getting out there, and exposing yourself to minor situations that you fear. There's only so long you can stay afraid once you start exposing yourself to these situations.

soarer

Luckily as of yet I don't get any pain with my muscle tension. It seems that when I'm in a situation that makes my anxiety get really bad I get a feeling of adrenaline in certain muscles and then my muscles get all tensed up. When my social anxiety first started a number of years ago now I use to get jittery and would shake a bit. After a few years of being like that it progressed to where I no longer have these shaking symptoms but instead the freezing from tension. I can still go out and do the things I need to do but when I get like this all that is on my mind is how pathetic and crazy I must look. I do everything I can to try and hide it, but I am not always able to. I have been on 10mg of Paxil for a number of years along with Xanax and now that I have been off paxil for a few months and am hardly taking any Xanax my tension is worse than ever. I was hopeing that I wouldn't have to take medication for my anxiety/tension anymore but I guess I was wrong and I may have to be on something for life. To bad! :(