Social Anxiety, OCD or both?

ParanoidWarrior

Hello everyone, i'm new to these boards. I signed up here because I was wondering if anyone could relate to an issue i'm having.

Bit of background: I am turning 21 next month, have OCD, many different obsessions have come and gone; Harm OCD, POCD, "I want to do my mom/sis" OCD and my most current is HOCD, which I have had for about 2 to 3 years now. HOCD basically is fearing you are a sexual orientation you are not. I obsess about being bi/gay while I know i'm straight. I'm in CBT, and have been told by several therapists that my problem is OCD and that it is the cause of my doubts/fears.

In the past, in Highschool, I've been bullied, was a social outcast, never have had a girlfriend and self-esteem issues. I was called gay by the girls, and to this day I have no idea why. Even at 14 years old, I was far ahead of other guys, mentally and physically. I had/have no features that would suggest "he's a typical gay". No idea whether they actually thought this or did this to bully me, because of the way I reacted.

As you might have guessed by now; I fear/think that every woman that looks at me immediatly will assume i'm gay even though there is, if i'm to believe friends and relatives, absolutly nothing to suggest as much. They say that i'm a handsome, intelligent, masculine and tough looking guy (you wouldn't think so when reading this pathetic rant, I know). I am, however, very shy because I feel people didn't like me, that women would never take an interest in a guy like me, despite people who know me claiming the opposite.

For example, there is this cute girl at the reception where I have CBT... She stares at me and keeps doing this, but for some reason she doesn't talk to me anymore. She did when she first started working there. She doesn't look away when I look back and always has a faint smile when she does. Or maybe it's a smirk because she thinks i'm an idiot, and most likely gay...

The issue i'm writing this entire rant for is this: stuff like walking away from the check-in desk, then hearing her whisper to a female co-worker, and then making out things like "he's such a fag" or "I bet he's gay" etc. This happens with just about every girl btw. I always pick up the words "gay" "fag" "homo" etc. I fear that people are gossiping about me or something, and that now every girl thinks i'm gay, and that maybe this is a product of my Highschool time.

The problem is that I can't seem to get a good grip as to whether she actually says these things or that because of my fear + OCD I hear what I expect to hear. My therapist said he thinks this is the case; because my HOCD developed out of not feeling like a "good heterosexual man".
This in turn, triggered Schizo/paranoid OCD, fearing I was hallucinating, but that appearantly requires the sufferer to be 100% convinced of something.

In short: Can anyone relate with the whole "I think people gossip about me and talk negatively behind my back" thing?
Thank you for taking the time to read this rant and I look forward to replies.

It is honestly all in your head man. I have a shot of this as well, but with time, I have learned to just let the thoughts in and not to fight them. The more you fight them, is the more they will come at you. If you know you like beautiful women, then think about that. Dont try to test yourself all the time to see if you like men. It only fuels the OCD. Sooner or later, if you stop fighting the thoughts, you will automatically negate anything homosexual when the thoughts come into your head. Not to say that you won't have any more episodes, because you most likely will. But you will learn how to control them better.
As for people talking about you, they may or may not be. But try not to focus on them. People will talk about everything and you can't stop that. The more you think about this, the more "creepy" you will be around them. You will be trying so hard to be macho and prove that you aren't gay, that you will be over compensating ( i think thats the word), and then they will probably think you're hiding something, and the cycle starts all over.
Just try to remind yourself its a disorder, and you do infact love the female species. Just don't try to fight the rainbow, buddy, and the thoughts will sort themselves out.

ParanoidWarrior

As for people talking about you, they may or may not be. But try not to focus on them. People will talk about everything and you can't stop that. The more you think about this, the more "creepy" you will be around them. You will be trying so hard to be macho and prove that you aren't gay, that you will be over compensating ( i think thats the word), and then they will probably think you're hiding something, and the cycle starts all over.

Thanks for the reply and the good advice. But I wonder, why would (or so it seems to me) *every* woman think this, and every woman talk behind my back as soon as I pass by? Am I just "bending" what they whisper, if they whisper at all? Because thats the feeling I get and I doubt, judging on what others say to me, that it is rational at all. Take the girl I mentioned for example. I don't think she looks at me because she likes me, I immediatly assume it's because she thinks i'm gay. That is, at least what I tell myself. It's just that, if that were indeed the case I wouldn't understand why women would think this, you know? I read somewhere that this is a part of social phobia/anxiety, the whole thinking people are always talking and laughing about you.

And what did you mean with "don't fight the rainbow"? Am I right in assuming you are implying that you shouldn't fight or try to disprove the intrusive thoughts and the fear that lies at their core?

Thanks for the reply and the good advice. But I wonder, why would (or so it seems to me) *every* woman think this, and every woman talk behind my back as soon as I pass by? Am I just "bending" what they whisper, if they whisper at all? Because thats the feeling I get and I doubt, judging on what others say to me, that it is rational at all. Take the girl I mentioned for example. I don't think she looks at me because she likes me, I immediatly assume it's because she thinks i'm gay. That is, at least what I tell myself. It's just that, if that were indeed the case I wouldn't understand why women would think this, you know? I read somewhere that this is a part of social phobia/anxiety, the whole thinking people are always talking and laughing about you.

And what did you mean with "don't fight the rainbow"? Am I right in assuming you are implying that you shouldn't fight or try to disprove the intrusive thoughts and the fear that lies at their core?

Yep, thats all in your head man. Granted some women may well be talking about you. If they are, try not to worry about them. You just said you immediately assume that she thinks you're gay. if you keep assuming these things, you'll worry about it so much and cause even more anxiety. I know its hard but just try to tell yourself that it doesn't matter if they're talking about you. They dont know anything about you. You are who you are, so their opinion is irrelevant.
As for fighting the rainbow, it was a bad joke lol. But yea your assumption is right. Do not fight these thoughts because i'm telling you they will just get harder and harder to deal with. if deep down you know you are not gay, then just calmly remind yourself that its just thoughts and they will pass. I know how scared you are because I was just like that when my Pure OCD was kicking in hardest when I was around 15-18. I didnt even want to look people in the eye because thoughts would just start and would not stop. Its hard at first to just let the thoughts be because your first reaction is to fight them at all costs. But just take it easy and calm yourself. It takes a while but you'll get there man.

ParanoidWarrior

Yep, thats all in your head man. Granted some women may well be talking about you. If they are, try not to worry about them. You just said you immediately assume that she thinks you're gay. if you keep assuming these things, you'll worry about it so much and cause even more anxiety. I know its hard but just try to tell yourself that it doesn't matter if they're talking about you. They dont know anything about you. You are who you are, so their opinion is irrelevant.

You are, of course, correct. I guess i'm just trying to understand some people's need to talk bs about others.
But somehow I doubt it's "normal" to mishear people's convos as often as I seem to mishear them. To me, there are 2 rational conclusions; 1) I've gone batsh*it, 2) these women are actually saying these things each time...
Might be because the local dialect places an emphasis on the "O" (i'm from Holland), so it's easier to mishear words, like "homo".

The scariest thing about this whole HOCD business is that after close to 3 years, you kind of become used to the thoughts. And then getting a "backdoor spike".

Yea man exactly. Back door (lol) spike is whats happening. Just try not to worry about what you THINK others are saying about you. You should be good man.