Social hobbies phobia!!

ShyBeliever

Hi. Do you ppl have problems of anxiety only when you talk to ppl?. I ask this because my phobia don´t let me do many important things in life besides talking. When I was in highscool I was one of the best soccer players in my class. I was admired by many ppl for that. However since I began to question myself and to become affraid of not fulfiliing ppl expectations, everything went bad. Now, playing soccer, which was one of my favourite hobbies in the past, became one of my worst fears. That´s happens generally in all activities in which I have ppl observing me or are dependent of my qualities. Another hobby that terrifies me is playing cards. This activity is very appreciated, at least here in Portugal. Playing cards requires quick thinking and many interaction with other ppl, and because I am someone who is always affraid of mental blocks and too self-conscious, this hobby became a nightmare for me. I now often have affraid of doing silly mistakes and I actually do them which embarrases me and makes ppl think I´m not a normal guy or, at least, a guy with a very low IQ.

What do I want to say is that many hobbies and activities that most ppl like to do and really have fun doing are real nightmares for me. That´s why before my phobia I had active hobbies like playing soccer, cards, etc and now my favourite ones are passive like reading, listening to music, computer games, etc. Does this happen to you too?

redlady

Art - i used to love to draw and be creative - but now all i see is the possible mistakes that i could make which makes the whole experince of undertaking anything artistic a very anxious practice. My passion for it has just been eradicated.

Quiki

my waterpolo skill are like so low :( cant do nothing right.
At the begining I had very good start and everything just perfect, but when I become more shy, quiet and I start to get nervous my skill went down :(

coolguy2005

"ask this because my phobia don´t let me do many important things in life besides talking."

It's not that your phobia doesn't let you do things, it's that you're not choosing to do those things because you have fear of doing it. Notice how I have rephrased what you said? Remember, you can empower yourself to do anything. That's what I'd like you to do. Empower yourself to change. Fill your mind with positive thoughts.

"began to question myself and to become affraid of not fulfiliing ppl expectations, everything went bad"

Don't focus on meeting people's expectations...you can't please everyone :) Rather, focus on enjoying the game. If you consistently focus on enjoying the game, then your negative thoughts(i.e like mental blocks) will diminish.

coolguy2005

"ask this because my phobia don´t let me do many important things in life besides talking."

It's not that your phobia doesn't let you do things, it's that you're not choosing to do those things because you have fear of doing it. Notice how I have rephrased what you said? Remember, you can empower yourself to do anything. That's what I'd like you to do. Empower yourself to change. Fill your mind with positive thoughts.

"began to question myself and to become affraid of not fulfiliing ppl expectations, everything went bad"

Don't focus on meeting people's expectations...you can't please everyone :) Rather, focus on enjoying the game. If you consistently focus on enjoying the game, then your negative thoughts(i.e like mental blocks) will diminish.

4myself

ShyBeliever said:
Hi. Do you ppl have problems of anxiety only when you talk to ppl?. I ask this because my phobia don´t let me do many important things in life besides talking. When I was in highscool I was one of the best soccer players in my class. I was admired by many ppl for that. However since I began to question myself and to become affraid of not fulfiliing ppl expectations, everything went bad. Now, playing soccer, which was one of my favourite hobbies in the past, became one of my worst fears. That´s happens generally in all activities in which I have ppl observing me or are dependent of my qualities. Another hobby that terrifies me is playing cards. This activity is very appreciated, at least here in Portugal. Playing cards requires quick thinking and many interaction with other ppl, and because I am someone who is always affraid of mental blocks and too self-conscious, this hobby became a nightmare for me. I now often have affraid of doing silly mistakes and I actually do them which embarrases me and makes ppl think I´m not a normal guy or, at least, a guy with a very low IQ.

What do I want to say is that many hobbies and activities that most ppl like to do and really have fun doing are real nightmares for me. That´s why before my phobia I had active hobbies like playing soccer, cards, etc and now my favourite ones are passive like reading, listening to music, computer games, etc. Does this happen to you too?

Sigh, I can relate to this :(