sound "stupider" than I really am

maggie

Today at work, my words just wouldn't come out right 8O ! Does this happen to you? I attempt to say simple sentences, nothing complicated, and I sometimes just jumble the words up, and it makes me sound like I don't know how to put sentences together or something.....and can't talk loud enough for others to hear...have to repeat myself constantly... so fuckin annoying :evil:

Danfalc

Banned
Yup

Yup that happens to me aswell :( . I know what im going to say and it just seems to go wrong when i actually say it. Sometimes my voice is just 2 shaky to understand, or i just completley fuck it up by mumbling.The only thing that i can suggest is take a seocond to breathe b4 you say somthing and try and say it slowly.

Chilling__Echo

oohhhh yeah. it's like the harder i think about it the worse it comes out. i ALWAYS fuck up my sentences. and i think because of it when ever i say something i just mumble it and then people don't pay attention to me. seriously. sometimes i'll be doing my "mumble" and they just walk away. but i realized that if i felt it wasn't important, they wouldn't take notice, just in the way that we've learned to communicate. subconciously i must disguise what i say so that if i feel like it's the least bit idiotic kind of comment, most likily they won't hear... wow that was a ramble...

Toad

I don't really have a problem with my words comming out right...I have more of a problem of people not being able to follow what I'm saying. Don't really get it cause it makes sense to me...but yeah I find that I always have to repeat myself cause I talk quietly and mumble a lot. Also occasionally when I'm talking I say a word and think to myself...wow...that word sounds really funny, and I probably look dumb because sometimes I'll just stop what I'm saying and think about that word for a little bit.

My teachers used to have no idea how bright I was...until they saw my personality through writing. I am a completely different person on paper, rather than spoken word.

Horatio

I used to be top of the class, winning regional speech competitions and participated in theatre sports on a regular basis which required a lot of on the spot thinking.

That was six years ago and now I can't open my mouth without sounding completely stupid. I don't know if its the socialphobia or a side effect from one of the courses of meds I've been on as its not just my ability to speak thats suffered but also my ability to think, I simply can't write as fluently as I once did nor concentrate as well.

beautiful_soul

maggie said:
and can't talk loud enough for others to hear...have to repeat myself constantly... so fuckin annoying :evil:

That's my problem too,sometimes I cant speak loud so I have to repeat agaiiinn because people can't hear me
:? what can we do to speak louder?

brokensoul

Words never come out right for me either... I always end up offending people without meaning to. Arghhh. Oh and my mind sometimes just goes blank in the middle of a sentence and I feel so stupid and other people are still staring at me waiting for me to say something and I don't end up saying anything and I'll just look at the floor and not talk for the rest of the day. I find that, although this is not a solution, I feel more comfortable writing down all the stuff I want to say before I actually say it, especially on the phone. Then I have more time to pay attention to my voice and pronounciation and stuff, I dunno if that helps...

Butterfly

I hated answering the phone when I was in the office (we were four and shared two phones). Sometimes I was alone so I'd let them ring endlessly, fearing that someone from another room would come to get them. I felt so paranoid, hiding behind my monitor with that ringing noise that seemed to get louder by the second and not being able to work either.

When I need to speak with someone, I tend to say this person's name no matter who answers. A while ago I called another office to speak with a workmate and the receptionist answered even though I called his extension. I was anxious about talking to him and hadn't prepared for yet another person so all I could say was, "John?". By then I was so nervous that I don't remember what I said to this woman. She must think I'm stupid or something.

maggie

beautiful_soul- i'm not sure what we can do to speak louder....no matter how hard i try, i can't do it. If I am asked to repeat , my words come out exactly the same as the first time!! 8O (if they come out at all, cause if someone says, "pardon me?" my whole being pauses, and seems like everyone in the whole friggin place is waiting for me to speak louder)...and it's hard to speak at all :roll: p.s. today someone told me "have a good day" and I said "you're welcome" (yikes :oops: )

AnnaMaria

:eek:

Yeah! Me too....Monday to Friday, 9-5 I put on my "Im a retard" cap on and mumble and stumble on words aaaalllllll day long.

I mean I'm smarter than most people at work but sound stupid as fucking hell. :?

HERE'S A TIP MAGGIE, AVOID COMMUNICATE WITH PEOPLE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. That's what I do and people assume I'm in a bad mood and would leave me alone. :wink:

Danfalc

Banned
AnnaMaria

oh my god annamaria where have u been all by life??? *falls in love*
Heh sorry got a bit carried away there,but seriously all the peeps on this forum are so nice and supportive but wow u seem 2 be bursting with enthusiam and energy.Plus your posts are making me laugh so much, keep em coming

AnnaMaria

Re: AnnaMaria

Danfalc said:
oh my god annamaria where have u been all by life??? *falls in love*
Heh sorry got a bit carried away there,but seriously all the peeps on this forum are so nice and supportive but wow u seem 2 be bursting with enthusiam and energy.Plus your posts are making me laugh so much, keep em coming

....awwww :oops: :? :? 8O :oops: I'm speechless.....I love this board too. :)

beautiful_soul

maggie said:
beautiful_soul- i'm not sure what we can do to speak louder....no matter how hard i try, i can't do it. If I am asked to repeat , my words come out exactly the same as the first time!! 8O (if they come out at all, cause if someone says, "pardon me?" my whole being pauses, and seems like everyone in the whole friggin place is waiting for me to speak louder)...and it's hard to speak at all :roll: p.s. today someone told me "have a good day" and I said "you're welcome" (yikes :oops: )

so we will speak like this forever . :? I want to have a loud voiiiiice