St John's Wort

ForeverBlue2

Has anybody tried St John's Wort as a natural relief for depression and anxiety? I have just started taking it and was curious about other peoples experiences?

Emmmmy

Didn't work for me either I'm afraid, although it used to give me amazing lucid dreams to begin with. It was great - but it wore off quite quickly

I used it for awhile and it worked pretty well- almost immediately, too, I felt a difference within the first two days. But I was only mildly depressed at the time.

lunarla

My mother used this and she said it helped her quite a bit with her depression at the time after her mother passed.

LockieKermit

Ehh, it's one of those drugs I cant seem to remember to take!

It's hard to tell what it does, I take it for mild anxiety...but I guess it helps with depression...

Iseesky

I'm going to get myself some of this stuff asap. I've heard it's supposed to help. Anyone been taking it longterm and notice an improvement with anxiety?

I took it for about a year, and it helped a little bit but not enough to make a huge difference in my life, and I was taking so many pills/day. It just wasn't worth the hassle. Then I tried SAM-e, and it was a little bit better, but still didn't make enough of a difference to justify the cost.

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to alternative treatments: not all brands are the same. When I was taking St. John's Wort, I picked up some brand while I was at the grocery store thinking it wouldn't make a difference what brand I was taking. But after a few days, I started to feel worse and did a bit of digging online. From what I read, these treatments aren't regulated very much, so the level of effectiveness can vary between brands. GNC's St. John's Wort seemed to be the best one for me.

Good luck!

Masychefx2

Banned
ill tell you why not to take it

a. it did nothing for me not saying it wont for others

b. it makes you photosensitive so your more prone to UV damage from the sun and your eyes are more prone to damage even on a dull day.

c. make sure you buy from reputable company or it could be made with all sorts of rubbish and synthetic ingredients.

ありがとう

I used to take them back when I had depression. I was too young to have prescribed anti-depressant but the doctor suggested taking that. I think it varies for different people and it's probably most effective on mild-medium depression as oppose to severe.

After a week, I notice a very slight change in my tiredness/concentration/mood level, but it didn't take effect until 2 months of taking it everyday. Still wasn't enough to cure me - but really you can't rely on herbs and medicine to cure you anyway.. But it's good as an aid towards your treatment and helping you ease your symptoms.