Still Struggling After 30 yrs

LowOnO2

Hello, everyone. I am new to the forums and wanted to introduce myself. I am 43 yrs old and have struggled with everything that comes with hyperhidrosis since I was ~13 yrs old).

It has been awhile since I had a full blown sweat episode but one happened a couple of weeks ago when I was getting my haircut. They were about to close and had already turned off the A/C so there was no moving airflow. This place is usually freezing which is why I go there. Well, the sweats started soon after she started to cut my hair. I know some of you have certain parts of your body that sweat but I guess I am a rare case where my entire body sweats. Within about 2 minutes of the haircut I had soaked through the apron and my clothes. I apologized for sweating and she was nice about it. I couldn't take the humiliation anymore so I told her that I look better and want to leave. Luckily, she was able to cut the top of hair and buzzed some of the sides. She wasn't able to clean me up around my hair line. She said that I am welcomed to come back the next morning so that she can clean me up. I told her ok but did not return.

The episode triggered my memories of when I was younger. From my teens to 30's I had similar episodes but they were DAILY. Looking back, I do not know how I made it through those times. Severe depression followed those episodes and I masked it with alcohol. I noticed that alcohol allowed me to have regular conversations with people without sweating like a pig. However, this trick only worked on weekends in social settings. Not feasible for work setting during the week.

Things that I have tried. I tried different beta blockers. They worked zero percent of the time. Botox was out of the question because it would have to include my entire face, head, neck, hands, underarms to keep from others to notice immediately. They would notice the rest of my body within a few minutes depending of the situation. The deodorant would not address my head, face, neck and hands so I didn't try it. The surgery to cut something in the wrist might only address one part of my body that people notice so not worth it since my entire body sweats. Seriously. I look like I jumped in pool with my clothes on.

I still get sweat episodes in inappropriate times but they are not as often as when I was younger. In my daily life, the sweat is usually do to the hot Texas weather. The hyperhidrosis does kick in at work in certain situations but not to the point of a stuck pig. Just enough to wipe my forehead, nose and lip when the person looks away. I can now keep my brain on topic of the conversation without wanting to jump out of the window every time.

I have accepted the fact that I cannot get certain jobs because of my condition kicks in during the interview. It doesn't keep me from interviewing. Luckily, my sweat slows down once my brain is focused on the interview questions and answers instead of focusing on the anxiety.

For those that are much younger than me and are really struggling. Hang in there. If I made it this far with all of the self loathing then you can also make it.

hyp-hi

Thanks for sharing your story! That is tough when you feel like you are trapped in a situation and start sweating. Have you thought about cutting your own hair? It's not too hard. You just need a set of electric clippers and a scissors. I've been cutting my own hair for years and it is great not to have to go to a place to have someone else cut it.

alwayswet

Hi, I am 51 years old, and your story is so similar to mine. Something about jobs interviews and getting a haircut. I had ETS but now have bad CS and I still leave the barber with a soaked shirt. I used to have facial sweating and blushing ral bad, now I just sweat more all over my body.

I am glad your situation seems to have improved over the years. I know I have let it feed on me mentally to the point I don't want to have much social interaction at all. Like you I masked it with alcohol through college, and although I don't drink anymore it definitely helped more so than any anti anxiety/depression medication (and I have treid them all).

Guess it's drunk and dry or sober and wet.

CalamityJane

Hey LowonO2,

I totally understand - I'm 34 with primary cranial / facial sweating. Until I found medication - I was convinced that there were things in life that I just wouldn't experience because the social embarrassment of HH held me back. I survived job interviews by arriving super early, and sitting in the air conditioned office to cool down with a frozen bottle of water that I'd brought specially for the occasion. I understand how you feel x

Have you tried medication other than beta blockers? There are a few people on this forum trying various forms of medication - certainly nothing to lose (except the sweating) by trying a few different types till you find what works?

Sprawling

Hey people, we have an iontophoresis machine for $199.99 from Canada. Please give us your feedback! Iontophoresis device - Treats hyperhidrosis, sweaty hands and feet. – Iontoderma

Easy enough to make this for a 1/3 the cost using a universal adjustable laptop power supply. Will work exactly the same as this one. For about $150 you can go pain free with a High voltage Galvanic Stimulator which is pulsed current. This can make your treatments virtually pain free. Search my back posts for details.

THeCARS1979

Hello, everyone. I am new to the forums and wanted to introduce myself. I am 43 yrs old and have struggled with everything that comes with hyperhidrosis since I was ~13 yrs old).

It has been awhile since I had a full blown sweat episode but one happened a couple of weeks ago when I was getting my haircut. They were about to close and had already turned off the A/C so there was no moving airflow. This place is usually freezing which is why I go there. Well, the sweats started soon after she started to cut my hair. I know some of you have certain parts of your body that sweat but I guess I am a rare case where my entire body sweats. Within about 2 minutes of the haircut I had soaked through the apron and my clothes. I apologized for sweating and she was nice about it. I couldn't take the humiliation anymore so I told her that I look better and want to leave. Luckily, she was able to cut the top of hair and buzzed some of the sides. She wasn't able to clean me up around my hair line. She said that I am welcomed to come back the next morning so that she can clean me up. I told her ok but did not return.

The episode triggered my memories of when I was younger. From my teens to 30's I had similar episodes but they were DAILY. Looking back, I do not know how I made it through those times. Severe depression followed those episodes and I masked it with alcohol. I noticed that alcohol allowed me to have regular conversations with people without sweating like a pig. However, this trick only worked on weekends in social settings. Not feasible for work setting during the week.

Things that I have tried. I tried different beta blockers. They worked zero percent of the time. Botox was out of the question because it would have to include my entire face, head, neck, hands, underarms to keep from others to notice immediately. They would notice the rest of my body within a few minutes depending of the situation. The deodorant would not address my head, face, neck and hands so I didn't try it. The surgery to cut something in the wrist might only address one part of my body that people notice so not worth it since my entire body sweats. Seriously. I look like I jumped in pool with my clothes on.

I still get sweat episodes in inappropriate times but they are not as often as when I was younger. In my daily life, the sweat is usually do to the hot Texas weather. The hyperhidrosis does kick in at work in certain situations but not to the point of a stuck pig. Just enough to wipe my forehead, nose and lip when the person looks away. I can now keep my brain on topic of the conversation without wanting to jump out of the window every time.

I have accepted the fact that I cannot get certain jobs because of my condition kicks in during the interview. It doesn't keep me from interviewing. Luckily, my sweat slows down once my brain is focused on the interview questions and answers instead of focusing on the anxiety.

For those that are much younger than me and are really struggling. Hang in there. If I made it this far with all of the self loathing then you can also make it.

Im actually was able to overcome the sweating which helped due to using Neurofeedback therapy. Also if you dont think about it, it may go away. Also yea I hear you, its been over 30 for me

jkel

Hi,

I can totally relate. Due to this I ended up being an engineer, where I do not have to face anybody, but only doing my calculations. Countless time where I have to wipe down in front of a bunch of people. But I have found methods that can solve this. Do pm me and I can share tips. 30 years is still too short to give up bro!

jk

Watch a vid where I overcome sweaty palms
https://youtu.be/bSlQG_0zS34

driping jon

hi.i am male age 59.i have noticed that mine is getting worse.i take probanthine but only if i work ..for face and head not worried about the rest as ppl cant see it verry well.i stay in my room a lot now and only go out if i have to.good luck