Stop being shy/talk quiet

Physic

Sorry if this post is poorly written and is randomly order. Im not that great of a writer.

Hi, My name is Robert and im 17 years old and currently a senior in HS. All my life i have been very shy and quiet. I attended a Catholic school for kindergarten and i would not talk to anyone but one person, who i am still best freinds with today. I had to go to a public school so i could take special ed classes because i would not talk. Up until about 4th grade i would barely talk to anyone except 2 or 3 kids. Today i am not this bad, i still dont talk to many people though. When i do talk i say stuff very quiet and normally have to repeat myself which i cant stand, but i just cant help myself. I cant figure out why am i so shy/quiet. Growing up i was never really bullied or confined to my self. I grew up playing multiple sports and was out basically everyday playing sports or just running around the streets with the other kids. Being so shy keeps me from being myself. I am a funny, energetic random,talkative kid. But only a few people know the real me. I am even shy around some family who i dont see alot. I have been trying to overcome this for the past year but i just cant get my self to do it. I recently got a job at a local deli and i thought maybe being forced to talk to customers would help me a little. I am still talking very qeuit and have to repeat myself, sometimes more then once to customers and my co workers/boss. Most of my time is spent at home on video games and the computer. I hate being like this, It keeps me from making new freinds, going out(I rarely go out) and just talking. Also i have trouble keeping eye contact, i always seem to nervously smile/laugh, mess up my sentences and sometimes stutter a little. Is there anything i could try to help me get over this or just help a little? I know theres nothing that is gonna instantly make me not shy/quiet, i also tend to apoligize over every thing. Trying to atleast get a little better.

Squall

Banned
Welcome Robert :) only thing i can advise is looking into medications to help treat anxiety, i still feel anxious daily, but the meds help tone it down.

The Observer

Maybe you really are just a shy quiet person and there is nothing wrong with that in itself. However as you want to overcome it I'd say the best way would be to just talk to more and more people more often. As with anything in life the more you do something the better you become at it because of practise and confidence. That's all you really need to do. I'd personally stay away from any anxiety meds myself.

Last edited:

lilmutegirl

Hi and welcome!:)
You sound exactly like me at your age. I'm now 30 and more comfortable in some situations, but in others I still clam up. I can say with certainty that my working in retail and having to deal with customers has helped me tremendously, but only for that given scenario, and I'm still not completely comfortable there (I've been there 5 years).
The best thing is to continually expose yourself to situations which may make you uncomfortable until you begin to see a change. Unfortunately, this is also the hardest way to deal with shyness/social anxiety. You will have to really push yourself and not give up, because it's worth it in the end. Have you sought help from a medical or mental health professional? They may be able to come up with specific exercises that you could follow.