• Cover it with a impersonal mask

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Show it with all symptoms

• Ignore it

• Total voters

shyandnumb

I believe shyness can make you a better artist by making you more sensitive to your surroundings. My reasons for this belief:

1.) You can feel your emotions more clearly especially the painful ones.
2.) You have more of need to express moods and emotions through creative outlets than releasing them verbal.
3.) Being so quiet gives more time to observe and absorb the details of your surrounding environment.
4.) Lastly, you have the time develop your art form to its truest form.

Some negatives: :(

1.) You can be doubtful or ashame of your art to display for others to see.
2.)You are your own worst critic.
3.) You might become a perfectionist like me, which can do bad things to your blood pressure.
4.)Finally, You will get lost in the details and forget the reason you created it.

There folks, these are the 4 positive and the 4 negative reasons why the shy can be better artist than non-shy ones. Don't get me wrong, I think non-shys can be good artist too. However, the shy ones have certain traits that help improve their artistic abilities like better observation skills, better listening skills, and better understanding of their subjects. Please tell me what of my agreement and give me a honest answer. No uneccessary flattery,please! :wink:

redlady

You make sense - i unfortunately fall into the negative aspects there.
Do you know of any specific shy artists - don't know shy, but a bit mentally awry - Van Gogh, Munch, Warhol - nah he was just eccentric - love it.

redlady

This sounds promising taws. Despite this rather biting and sarcastic hilarious veneer, it seems that you have the heart of a poet and that you have it within you to see inner beauty and take great pleasure in it.

blubs

I think being introverted helps you to notice your environment more..which helps
but in terms of being a successful artist...you need loads of self belief.

Falling

i consider myself as a good artist for the future... sometimes i try to write lyrics...have been writing since i was 11. and i agree with that point that i am shy to make them public..

but i'm not my worst critical.. actually if i show my lyrics to 10 people and all of them will tell me that my lyrics sucks.. i won't care cuz i know that are good.

Falling

taws said:
but how will you know they are good if everyone you show them to agrees they suck? but then again, what is truth?

the truth is that they dont understand that much.
tehy think that my lyrics are bad just because are written by me. i basicly show them to my family & friends, and my friends really like my lyrics most of the time.

and before showing my lyrics to someone.. i test them. i show them lyrics of another song that isnt famous and if they tell me that they suck... well i dont ahve to show them my lyrics cuz whatever i will wrote they will criticise me.... but i'm always sooo much posistive on my lyrics & no one can hold me down by his words :D

Falling

you dislike compliments?

i used to dislike them but because i was very shy... nowadays if i dont hear compliments about my work i always finish fishing for compliments lol. and day by day i'm enjoying the centre of attantion.

shyandnumb

Thanks for all the replys

Thank you to all the people who reply to my topic. I wasn't sure if anybody was going to respond to it at all. 8O And if you're curious, my art area is drawing and art and crafts like jewelery - making and sewing, and writing poetry. However, I often refuse to show my artwork and only display my poems on online. I even quit a degree in art for a degree in psychology to avoid showing my art work. So, you can say I'm kind of a behind the scenes artist instead of a bold one. :roll: I wondering if McShy just hated to be the center of attention to dislike getting gifts or compliments for his work. It seems to make a little sense because when you get a compliment or gift, someone focuses their attention singularly on you. And that will make any shy person nervous or dislike getting anything else that draws attention toward them. :)

McCol

Shyandnumb, your first post is absolutely spot on for many great writers, poets, painters and musicians.

Take musicians for example. John Lennon has gone on record as saying he is and always was very very shy. Keith Richards, Bob Dylan, George Harrison and Pete Townsend also as far as I'm aware. Iggy Pop and David Bowie have stated they had low self esteem, sucicidal tendancies for Bowie. Clapton full of self-hatred and low self-esteem. Schizophrenia for the guy from Pink Floyd. Even Robbie Williams is known to have severe personal issues.The list is endless. Hence the reason many become drug addicts or alcoholics and are seen to be aloof by others. Ring any bells? Feeling misunderstood and sad cause people think your aloof and stand-offish.

I think shyness contributes in a few ways. Shy people are more likely to stay stuck in their bedrooms in their teenage years developing and becoming skilled in their art. Low self esteem possibly fills them with a drive to accomplish something great, to prove their worth, to be loved albeit in a superficial way. They tend to be more sensitive souls, some even too sensitive to live. The need to express unexpressed emotions is also important.

Myself, I'm a musician and songwriter and play guitar and piano as well as anything else I can get my hands on. :wink:

Using myself as an example, I sometimes think that people who know of me, think that I'm an uncaring unsensitive arsehole. But through expressing feelings and thoughts through music, they see a side of me that wants to be known and appreciated and which they would never see through normal conversation. Very good therapy in this sense and I am very greatful for the gift I've been given by some un-beknown power higher than myself.

As you can probably tell, I've given this a lot of thought. :D That's my 2 cents. Ok, I better stop now before I start to sound too pretentious. :lol:

4myself

Pretentious?, Vous?. Just joking!. I agree, I also think that a lot of the better actors are shy.

young

Well being an artist, that displays his work to others. Mainly online, for the bigger audience for free. I'll give my two cents.

Being shy can hinder your progress in ways. All it takes is one bit of bad advice and you can pack up your easel and put away your pencil.

But it could also make you work twice as hard to prove them wrong.

As for shyness making you a better artist. I don't think so. It may give you more time to hone your skills. It's not something you can just learn over nite. It takes time and practice.