The Island

cLavain

Endless sea. An island on the horizon. You swim towards it. Your arms ache, the hard red beats of your struggling heart, so much like the ticks of a clock counting down to unconsciousness, make you dizzy, the water which makes up your entire world disgusts you more with each passing day. But you keep going, you can see the island clearer now, moving ever closer. Your struggle is not in vain!
Finally, an eternity later, the island is within reach, a palpable thing at last, after so many liquid dreams. How long have you been in this ocean? Too many days and nights to count. Never mind. Soon you will be able to call this - the past!
You reach out to touch dry land, but only water seeps through your fingers. Disbelief. The island is gone. No longer there. Cold suspicion. Was it ever there? Did your brain just concoct this vision to keep you going? Icy realization. Fooled by your own desires! A mirage of hope.
The water grows colder. Impotence assailing your limbs, you look around, your arms moving only enough to keep you floating. Another island? You need it! But you see nothing. Nothing at all. Your need ignored by whatever indifferent gods rule this floating realm.
Endless Sea. In every direction. The need to move, the need to find something that makes your watery journey worthwhile. Anything!
Fate laughs maliciously, and, as you once again search around desperately, you realize the reason and nod grimly. You’re free to swim in whatever direction you want, yet there is nowhere to go, no compass to guide you into shallow waters. Every path as blind as the next. Your destiny in the hands of Fate, always. Cruel freedom! The only path known to you is the one that leads down, down into engulfing darkness. Your strength is dissipating rapidly.

What do you do?

Quixote

Nice little tale, it somehow reminds me of some old science fiction tales that I used to read. It also looks unpleasantly metaphoric of a certain condition :)

As for the question, I don't know, I guess I'm not the kind of person who makes it to the even the mirage island through strenght of will... how about a whale swallowing me while I ponder on the subject.

dzerklis

cool tale mate! it reminds me of the original Solaris movie by Tarkovsky. what would i do.. that depends on wheahter i would have a water resistant mobile phone with me or notlol

cLavain

Thanks, guys...one great white whale + water-resistant mobile phone coming up (hope you know your longitude and latitude)! :D

Quixote

cLavain said:
Thanks, guys...one great white whale + water-resistant mobile phone coming up (hope you know your longitude and latitude)! :D

Dzerklis' waterproof phone has a GPS included I'm sure

it reminds me of the original Solaris movie by Tarkovsky

Somebody watching good movies here...I haven't seen that one though

cLavain

Quixote said:
Dzerklis' waterproof phone has a GPS included I'm sure
That's true, but he may find it difficult to charge the phone before using it!
Quixote said:
it reminds me of the original Solaris movie by Tarkovsky
Somebody watching good movies here...I haven't seen that one though
I have, some time ago. As far as I remember there was a sentient sea?