the main reason!

LA323

what is the main reason that keeps u from telling people like ur friends, family, relatives, and so on, that u have this awfull illness or phobia, bcuz my reason for not telling no 1 is because im afraid that after i tell them they will picture me as a weak person, like a little pussy or something, and they will take advantage of that. How do u guys feel about all this?

Anonymous

they might, but then... I suppose the ones that think that aren't really a treasured friend. good way to sort out the real ones from the phonies, maybe?

Fredscars

i tend to tell people, avoids misunderstandigs. except my parents. but then news tends to travel and people who i havent specifically told find out, and they call me an attention seeker

Anonymous

i've never told anyone....ok, I once told the cat and she told me she had the same problem, but with dogs

Crimefish

I tell people. I don't have any reason to hide it. Why be embarrassed about something I didn't choose? Once I tell them, they don't expect me to do anything I can't do, so I don't seem rude refusing to. Makes life easier, and you only lose the poor quality friends.
Honesty is often the best policy.

Chilling__Echo

i don't tell people because like LA323 said, i feel like they'll use it against me or that they'll treat me differently

LilMissTragic

I tell anyone that I think should know. I'm not embarrassed about it, why should we be. I'm not ashamed of having SP, yeh its annoying but hey, its part of who I am.

IceLad

I've never told anyone.

On one hand I feel as if my parents will worry themselves excessively, and that I would be made to feel 'guilty' for sharing this will them, and the other reason is that I feel as if it will by used against me by others.

So its all stayed bottled up in me for quite some time, which I don't think has helped either!

GettingThere

Sometimes I wonder what life would have been like had I told lots of people about my condition. I could see benefits for both tellling and keeping it secret. On the whole though I think that it is important to the sufferer to be treated as "normally" as possible so as to fit in as well as possible.

For this reason I don't think that spilling the beans beyond one's immediate loved ones would be a good idea.