the problem with me

Anonymous

Hello, my name is Katie, i'm nearly 18 and i have social anxiety and i have it as bad as it gets. I don't even use chat rooms and it's rare i'll post like this. I'm nervous as hell at what everyone will think of what i say and i just can't help it , i'm even shaking right now

I was diagnosed about 5 months ago, my parents both hate me because i'm totally housebound and they're ashamed, they yell things like 'don't be so stupid and answer the phone!' when i really, really can't. I feel so useless. I have no friends and the only time i go outside is when i have a doctors appointment for new anti depressants. I think about suicide every night and cut my arms. i don't know why i do that.

I'm afraid to say anything else.. but thats it.

I'm sorry this has been totally boring and your all probably thinking i'm such a freak i feel a bit sick now so i'll go and take my pill and go to bed.

peace to all,
Katie
xoxoxox

nezzy

your cool here. no one will judge you.

SP is not a life sentence, thats the first thing. Suicide is... and your only 18.

You obviously need to vent, so just let loose as much as you feel comfortable with on here. I don't post much, but i read alot and most of the advice on here is worth it's weight in gold.

Parents are fucked, but it's mostly because they don't understand and don't want to if it seems hard. Mine were the same, and alot of others on here were/are too.

what are your interests? talk to someone about them... i know it's a big step. but you've made a start.

Stu

MrMr

Katie said:
I was diagnosed about 5 months ago, my parents both hate me because i'm totally housebound and they're ashamed, they yell things like 'don't be so stupid and answer the phone!' when i really, really can't. I feel so useless. I have no friends and the only time i go outside is when i have a doctors appointment for new anti depressants. I think about suicide every night and cut my arms. i don't know why i do that.]

Firstly you ain't boring,your post came accross just fine.this is one of our faults,no matter how good we are at something,we always think we're boring and uninteresting.I can totally relate to the phone thing,I talk quite a bit on the phone at work each day,but when I'm home and the phone rings I rarely answer it.i am really scared of talking socially,and also the phone rarely rings for me anyway,it's always for my brother or mum.I know it's hard for your parents to understand,and it's very common for people to say "snap out of it".it's just that they don't know how to act in this situation,think about it we would probably say the same thing if we didn't know better.we are the ones that know what's going on and that we can't simply snap out of it.i think you should print off some of the material that's on the net about sa and anxiety,maybe then they will understand it better and be in a better position to support you.have you been offered therapy yet.meds are fine and can help a lot,but it really takes therapy to make the real changes.cbt seems to be the one with the most success,i've just started it so it's too early for me to comment on how good it really is,but you will find lots of encouraging reports on cbt,also some bad ones.but i think that we only fail at things if we give up too soon.therapy will also help to address you thoughts of suicide,this is serious.have you told anyone about this.i know it's not easy to ask for help,it can be very scary,but think about it if it helps you to get out of this hole and get your life back on track then don't wait around,ask for help.if you feel your gp hasn't been supportive enough then go see another gp,as the old saying can be very true "doctors differ" and you may find one that's more interested in this field.be open with the gp and tell him everything you have posted here.

good luck,it'll be worth it you'll see :)

Anonymous

SA really sucks. Why it has to exist and ruin people's lives is beyond me.

Katie, hang in there. You deserve better than the crap that SA deals you up. I hope you can get better and kick SA up the ass because it wrecks the lives of beautiful people. SA is evil!!!!!!!!! The victims are not!!!!!!

Anonymous

Hope

G'day Katie,
Don't ever give up. I am a 41 year old male, degree qualified accountant, married, 2 kids and oh yes, I have a mortgage as well. My 5 year old son starts kindergarten tommorrow. My point is that you to can achieve anything you want to with your life.

I have been where you are now. Housebound, addicted to prescription drugs, unemployed, parents who don't understand, you name it.

Just a quick note to let you know that all is not lost and you can turn your life around. Okay. : )

Anonymous

first of all don't think that you're a freak because you aren't! all of us are dealing with social anxiety thats why we're here on this site... post all you want.. ppl on are here to listen and help everyone not to judge them. i know how hard living with social anxiety can be. you need to hang in there AND you need to let someone close to you know that you are cutting yourself.. one of my friends does that and has thought about suicide but is much better now.. please dont hurt urself u gotta tell someone about this okay??

Different

You have great support here katie with people who care and know what your going through, please try not to cut yourself though...I used to dwell on suicide myself and you know what? its not worth it. You are special and deserve the best. I know families (people in general) can be very ignorant and say the meanest things(I find it hard to pick up the phone too) but dont give up, its not your fault you have this condition. Its the SA thats feeding your mind these negative thoughts which are worthless, your not a freak. I hope you feel better soon :wink: :D

Mathgan

Hi Katie

Hi Katie. Just a couple of things. Firstly, just know that you are unique. In the whole history of the world, there has never been anyone the same as you. Secondly, we have all been there - even the ppl who regale against that! I grew up believing that I should not have been born. WTF, I'm here
If u wanna know more, pls feel free 2 contact. With love, the Wild one