The Silver Bullet

Anonymous

Everybody gets embarrassed. The thing that makes social phobes different is that they are embarrassed about being embarrassed. The two most powerful words for social phobes are the words "I'm embarrassed." Works like a charm.

Were you staring at me?
Oh, I'm so embarrassed!

Did you just say something offensive?
Oh, I'm so embarrassed!

You smell bad.
Oh, I'm so embarrassed!

Admit your embarrassment each time you make a social mistake, and let each experience make you stronger. Draw in the power each time you admit your mistakes, each time you admit your embarrassment.

LilMissTragic

My version:

Were you staring at me?
Yeh, so, what of it?

No but if I had...what of it?

You smell bad.
You look bad, so, what of it?

lol, Wont work for everyone...lol.

Anonymous

lol!
for me its more...

were you staring at me?
*shrugs and looks at floor*

*looks at shoes*

You smell bad.
...thanks

LilMissTragic

LoL...Saying thankyou to someone when they insult you FreD, thats actually a good tactic as they have no idea how to respond...lol

avid_merrion

my version......

were u staring at me?

u want a fu**ing picture u c**t?

did you just say something offensive?

*sound effects* crack bang
u might wanna doc to check your nose

u smell bad?

your nose is too near your mothers sweaty arse

and people say im touchy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Anonymous

LilMissTragic said:
LoL...Saying thankyou to someone when they insult you FreD, thats actually a good tactic as they have no idea how to respond...lol

lol i do it quite alot..cos i get my words mixed up if i try and give some witty response..so im quitr sarcastic ni that way
'you smell bad'
'thanks'

'you hair looks crap'
'i love you too'

that kinda stuff :)

Anonymous

We feel embarrassed, not confident, cocky, self-assured, or aggressive. The best thing to do is to admit exactly that -- embarrassment -- and no other feeling. If you claim anything else, you are still creating a pretense. The goal is full and complete authenticity. "To thine self be true and you will be false to no man.

It's ok to be embarrassed. It's ok to be embarrassed. Recovery is all about learning to believe this and being willing to accept this personal limitation you have.

LilMissTragic

But I DONT feel embarrassed, I have nothing to be embarrassed about. If people dont like the way i look, talk, sound, whatever then they shouldn't be looking or listening in the first place. Plus I kinda like making an idiot of myself, must be the show ff in me.

wistful_dementia

Recovered said:
We feel embarrassed, not confident, cocky, self-assured, or aggressive. The best thing to do is to admit exactly that -- embarrassment -- and no other feeling. If you claim anything else, you are still creating a pretense. The goal is full and complete authenticity. "To thine self be true and you will be false to no man.

It's ok to be embarrassed. It's ok to be embarrassed. Recovery is all about learning to believe this and being willing to accept this personal limitation you have.

I agree, accepting our embarrassment and not caring what other people think about our embarrassment is a major step to recovery. I also agree that we should know our limitations, but that doesn't mean that we have to give up on self-improvement (not that is in your message though) maybe instead of telling our selve that we must be great, and we must be this or that, we should simply be- exist in the moment and do something- work on self improvement, but simply be and accept when we can or can not accomplish a goal, not drive ourselves crazy and beat ourselves up for not being perfect.

I think that is called unconditional self-acceptance.