The world isn't real

Steiner

That is what it feels like to me. Like nothing is real anymore and that I am living in a permanent dream. Nothing I do matters because it isn't real. I can't feel anything I touch and overall my emotions have been heavily dulled. Lately when I go out with my parents since usually I can't go out alone. I used to have an intense anxious feeling but now I just feel nothing. It's all clouded and numb. I probably can't go out alone but I feel unresponsive and slow like my brain decided to numb itself permanently so I wouldn't have to feel it anymore. Not just anxiety but overall everything. It's like controlling a rag doll from the inside.

Even physically everything is dull.

I read into it and I believe what I am feeling is like a form of derealization and is also related to exposure therapy perhaps. Though is it supposed to feel like this. Is to be better from anxiety mean to kill off everything inside.

Overall I can say my anxiety has been slightly better, still bad, but better. Not really up to par with how I should be. Not at all. I feel like my problem is becoming less and less about anxiety and more about depression.

MotherWolff

Banned
That is what it feels like to me. Like nothing is real anymore and that I am living in a permanent dream. Nothing I do matters because it isn't real. I can't feel anything I touch and overall my emotions have been heavily dulled. Lately when I go out with my parents since usually I can't go out alone. I used to have an intense anxious feeling but now I just feel nothing. It's all clouded and numb. I probably can't go out alone but I feel unresponsive and slow like my brain decided to numb itself permanently so I wouldn't have to feel it anymore. Not just anxiety but overall everything. It's like controlling a rag doll from the inside.

Even physically everything is dull.

I read into it and I believe what I am feeling is like a form of derealization and is also related to exposure therapy perhaps. Though is it supposed to feel like this. Is to be better from anxiety mean to kill off everything inside.

Overall I can say my anxiety has been slightly better, still bad, but better. Not really up to par with how I should be. Not at all. I feel like my problem is becoming less and less about anxiety and more about depression.

I know this feeling. I usually feel this way after researching things that I consider to be very frightening, like the Illuminati.

Do you see a therapist currently and/or take medications?

Derealization/depersonalization is so scary. For how long have you felt this way?

Earthcircle

I believe that derealization results from anxiety. Is there some way of removing a major source of anxiety in your life?

Steiner

:( :( I'm really sorry that you feel this way :(

Thanks

I know this feeling. I usually feel this way after researching things that I consider to be very frightening, like the Illuminati.

Do you see a therapist currently and/or take medications?

Derealization/depersonalization is so scary. For how long have you felt this way?

It's been many months and no I don't see anyone or take any meds.

I believe that derealization results from anxiety. Is there some way of removing a major source of anxiety in your life?

No, not really anything else I can remove at this point.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Derealization can also be a form of psychosis.
That doesn't necessarily mean in the worst sense, but feeling detached from ones self and the world around you could mean even a mild case of psychosis.
This is seen often in people who suffer with Bi polar disorders or schizophrenics.
Once again, I'm not saying that's whats happening, but maybe you should go get a professionals opinion?

On the other hand, hit your big toe with a hammer and it'll bring you back to reality pretty fast :)

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Hello :)

I dealt with derealization for many years, actually it took me a while before knowing there was a name for it. It was mostly as you described it, a general feeling of cloudiness and brain fog and, when you actually have to act and speak, the impression that you are sitting in the back of your brain while your body deal with the situation by itself. Even complete black-outs when particularly anxious.

My situation is much better now, it took years of work but I will try to list you the things that helped me, since I suppose one of the purpose of your thread is that you would like to get better as well. But the main point to remember is that, in my case at least, the solution was to detoxify my body from toxins and keep it clean.

Any kind of medication, drugs and alcohol made my situation way, way worst.

I personnally suspect that a lot of people suffering from derealization has food intolerance, but this is only my opinion based on personal observations on myself and people feeling miserable around me. I personnally stopped gluten, lactose, sugar and most processed food - there is a lot of chemicals in the food we eat that has more of an effect on your brain than you suspect.

Lactose and sugar clouds my brain - this is a proven fact. Most processed food has sugar in it.

More than 1 coffee per day makes me go sit in the back of my brain again while my body keeps going. 1 coffee per day is not ideal but still ok for me.

Exercice, I mean a LOT of it, clears the fog off my brain.

Doing these things resulted in me feeling way better, less depressed and therefore more energized to deal with social anxiety. Diminishing the level of anxiety eventually made the "out of body" feeling and the black-outs fade away and disappear.

I only experience derealization again now when I divert from the rules I imposed to myself OR in extreme situations.

There is nothing instant in these.

I hope something there can help you get better.

Last edited:

Rawz

Yeah, I know what you mean man. I have had some kind of disconnect from reality since I was about 14. For years it was very, very minor. But for the past 1-2 years it's been worse and it's been much worse for the past few months. So I assume I am experiencing derealization.

My dreams feel just as real as reality at times (and vice versa). Sometimes I wonder if I am awake or dreaming. Sometimes I wonder if I am going insane.

I may night have it as bad as you, but I do know some of what it feels like, etc. It sucks. I'm not sure what to say. I don't know what to do for myself. I guess, just keep on keeping on and hope things get better man.

Me, I'm on meds. And I've been on almost every SSRI there is and a couple of SNRIs. And I've done therapy for a few years with a great therapist. But here I am, still broken and functioning poorly.

Hang in there man. Maybe we just discovered what reality really is. :p

Steiner

Derealization can also be a form of psychosis.
That doesn't necessarily mean in the worst sense, but feeling detached from ones self and the world around you could mean even a mild case of psychosis.
This is seen often in people who suffer with Bi polar disorders or schizophrenics.
Once again, I'm not saying that's whats happening, but maybe you should go get a professionals opinion?

On the other hand, hit your big toe with a hammer and it'll bring you back to reality pretty fast :)

I went to a diagnostician like a year ago and they mentioned a psychotic disorder NOS.

I tend to physically cut myself a lot but not really with complete intention. More like I do things which can increase the chance of me being cut and sometimes I do get cut but I usually don't feel it as much as one would think.

Its ok if you get help. Its not good for you to feel this way, especially as long as you have. It could lead to even worse things...even suicide.

Please seek out help.

Already tried to get help for it and they tried to rope me in as an inpatient. I always end up back at home though because my parents are smooth talkers.

Gone to others in the past. Tried seeking a therapist. It feels kind of hopeless.

Hello :)

I dealt with derealization for many years, actually it took me a while before knowing there was a name for it. It was mostly as you described it, a general feeling of cloudiness and brain fog and, when you actually have to act and speak, the impression that you are sitting in the back of your brain while your body deal with the situation by itself. Even complete black-outs when particularly anxious.

My situation is much better now, it took years of work but I will try to list you the things that helped me, since I suppose one of the purpose of your thread is that you would like to get better as well. But the main point to remember is that, in my case at least, the solution was to detoxify my body from toxins and keep it clean.

Any kind of medication, drugs and alcohol made my situation way, way worst.

I personnally suspect that a lot of people suffering from derealization has food intolerance, but this is only my opinion based on personal observations on myself and people feeling miserable around me. I personnally stopped gluten, lactose, sugar and most processed food - there is a lot of chemicals in the food we eat that has more of an effect on your brain than you suspect.

Lactose and sugar clouds my brain - this is a proven fact. Most processed food has sugar in it.

More than 1 coffee per day makes me go sit in the back of my brain again while my body keeps going. 1 coffee per day is not ideal but still ok for me.

Exercice, I mean a LOT of it, clears the fog off my brain.

Doing these things resulted in me feeling way better, less depressed and therefore more energized to deal with social anxiety. Diminishing the level of anxiety eventually made the "out of body" feeling and the black-outs fade away and disappear.

I only experience derealization again now when I divert from the rules I imposed to myself OR in extreme situations.

There is nothing instant in these.

I hope something there can help you get better.

I've actually been dieting and stuff and recently started drinking coffee again after 6 months of no coffee at all. No dairy either. Though I was derealized before I started drinking coffee again. I don't even eat sugar anymore with my meals. I lost like 60 pounds but overall my brain fog has been worse off lately. I try to exercise and some-rare-days I can really get into it but most days I can't seem to feel like I am actually in it. I feel like I am just flopping around and everything is incredibly difficult to pull off. Like I'll do one jumping jack but then my mind isn't in it and I can't do another.

Invisible weights strapped to my body.

Steiner

Yeah, I know what you mean man. I have had some kind of disconnect from reality since I was about 14. For years it was very, very minor. But for the past 1-2 years it's been worse and it's been much worse for the past few months. So I assume I am experiencing derealization.

My dreams feel just as real as reality at times (and vice versa). Sometimes I wonder if I am awake or dreaming. Sometimes I wonder if I am going insane.

I may night have it as bad as you, but I do know some of what it feels like, etc. It sucks. I'm not sure what to say. I don't know what to do for myself. I guess, just keep on keeping on and hope things get better man.

Me, I'm on meds. And I've been on almost every SSRI there is and a couple of SNRIs. And I've done therapy for a few years with a great therapist. But here I am, still broken and functioning poorly.

Hang in there man. Maybe we just discovered what reality really is. :p

The last therapist I went to was just recommending I take some form of medication. I wasn't on any at the time but that was because the nurse practitioner I had gone to didn't want to prescribe me anything else for reasons.