This is Irrational

Honda

I just got a job and was pretty confident on the 1st 2 days.. But today was a nightmare as I was nervous, scared and obsessing about what I should do, act, etc.. I couldnt bear it as I didnt want to embarrass myself.. Now im obsessing about it before I go to bed and cannot control not thinking about it.. This is a sickness and I feel abnormal... I think I really need to see a doctor about this because this isnt allowing me to live a normal life or go to bed in a normal fashion without having flashes of obsessing thoughts or replaying an event or phrase in my head and analyzing it...

Can someone explain this?

Minty

Do you have someone to talk to? Someone who'll make you laugh, preferably? You need to get outside of your head. That's the problem.

sevenroses

Sorry you feel that way. It may be possible that you are putting too much pressure on yourself. Maybe the very first couple of times you met your coworkers you acted extremely confident and talkative and now you feel really anxious because you might feel like you have to constantly live up to that expectation of you always having to be confident all the time around your coworkers. Maybe it's best to avoid acting overconfident and to gradually be less confident so they would get use to the real you. Easier said than done. But that way there is a healthy balance between giving people what they want and the real you.

Honda

Im not pretending confidence but I noticed something fears begins when you over calcuate or thing of things too much..

3lefts

I dread everyday I have to go to work the entire day beforehand. I re-evalute whether I have my schedule and times right and everything in order so that nothing goes wrong. Anytime I have to do anything systematically and for other people I utterly dread it.
I think a reminder of reasons and priorities helps with motivation. A perception check as well. Just remember it's life, there has been a thousand years and a thousand people before us who lived but are now gone and forgotten. One day we will be too. So live your life the best way you can for you because you're just a tiny part of a bigger world, and your time is now.
Why do you need the job in the first place? Remember what you're there for, and be there for that. Why don't you want to be embarrassed, are these people significant in your life? Do you want them to be? Everyone makes mistakes, and as a wise person once reminded me, everyone is nervous about some aspect of their life. No matter who they are, every human gets anxious about soemthing just like you do. These people aren't any better than you, and they are just as capable as embarrassing themselves as you.
That's my bit about that.

Acegame

I just got a job and was pretty confident on the 1st 2 days.. But today was a nightmare as I was nervous, scared and obsessing about what I should do, act, etc.. I couldnt bear it as I didnt want to embarrass myself.. Now im obsessing about it before I go to bed and cannot control not thinking about it.. This is a sickness and I feel abnormal... I think I really need to see a doctor about this because this isnt allowing me to live a normal life or go to bed in a normal fashion without having flashes of obsessing thoughts or replaying an event or phrase in my head and analyzing it...

Can someone explain this?

I'm in the same situation. Just had my first week at my new job. The first day went fine, but the second day didn't go well. When i came home that day the only thing i could think about was the day after. I also have these flashes, especially after a bad day and even cant fall asleep because of it. But at the end of the week things got better.

Maybe you just haven't addapted to your new working rhythm yet? That can really mess you up, because it feels like a jetlag and tires you. Do you sleep long enough (6/7 hours) and do you eat well? Also don't drink coffee to much during the day.

I like what 3lefts said about reminding yourself why you are there. I'm trying to see it as a training for social situations. My therapy starts soon and the workplace is a nice training ground. For me getting over my anxiety is priority number one and not the job its self. And try to focus on your work instead of on your collegues. Focus on learning and being good at what you do. These things have helped me a little.

I hope it gets better for you!

Last edited: