Thoughts on having kids

What are your thoughts about having kids if you have HH?

• I would have kids

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would not have kids

• Undecided

• Total voters

blong

Hi again,

I have been thinking a lot, and started to become more depressed about, having kids. I am getting closer and closer to my girlfriend and I am thinking about proposing but she really wants to have kids. I want kids too but I cant stand the thought of them having HH. All I can think about is what my life has been like, the feeling, thoughts, depression, anxiety, and the last thing I want is for my kid to have it, especially if its a girl.

I just thought I would post and see everyone else's thoughts on the subject.

Is it responsible to maybe give your kids a disease like HH? Or in light of progressive medicine and hope for a better cure or treatment that is it ok?

Thanks

Jezza

Pff...

Yeah I've been thinking about that too. Well, not exactly having kids right now but having kids in general at some point in the future :lol: .

If I would be sure I'd give them the HH in the same way I have HH, I would say I wouldn't do it. Having a kid knowing before hand it will have some disease that will make life difficult is something I feel really bad about. In the end I think having a kid is all about the kid not yourselve.

However, I'm personally not convinced HH is hereditary. I think surveys that "established" that are biased and flawed, plus in my family (6 cousins father, 12 cousins mother + 1 brother, parents themselves, aunts, grandparents) nobody else has HH as far as I know, and I see most of them enough so that I would know. So, it doesn't exactly run in the family for sure...

It's all about what I'd think the chances are they'd get HH and how much it would affect their lives (ie, treatment options at the time)...

Basically I can only tell you I'm not having kids in the near future, but I'm planning on trying to have kids at some point...preferably when I'm past 30 :lol: But you never know what happens...

In the end, obviously it's always a personal decision between the two of you. You know best about your HH, you know best about the results of gene combinations of which you have a lot in common looking at your family members, and you know best about your soon to be fiancé...

blong

Thanks for the coments Danfalc. It is what we both want; but that puts Jezza's comments into prospective: its not all about what we want but what would be best for the child.

Do you know any concrete figures about the chance of whether or not your kid will have it if you have it? I dont want to have kids until I am past 30 too, (a full 10 years away) but I really want to address the issue now as it is important when laying down the foundation for your marriage. Thanks

Jezza

No, I don't really know...

I've read a study about it once, but I found it hard to take it serious. They took people with HH and asked if they had family members with HH, and people without HH were asked the same question.

First of all the first group is bound to say yes (knowledge, false info given by family members for support), while the 2nd group is bound to say no (probably hear for the first time about HH).

Also, the results were something like when you have HH, you'll have an 14% chance you're child will have HH. And when a child has HH, chances are 28% one of his parents has HH........right.....

Then the conclusion was HH is transferred by an autosomal dominant gene. However, if that were to be the case, it would mean, if I'm not mistaken, (at least) one of your grandparents would have HH...and an expected 50% of his/her children (your aunts and uncles from one side) and an expected 50% of their children (your cousins from one side of your family) would have HH. Now what I can say is, I don't think ANY of my cousins has HH...much less 50% of either my cousins on my father's or mother's side. Pretty bold conclusion either way then.

Anyway, what's more interesting --> at the moment there's a study going on into the hereditary causes of HH that sounds more serious. There are some details on sweathelp.org, in the research category. The study is conducted by one Mrs Vibert, who apparently is some kind of an expert in the field of genetics research. Although the study is focused on families where HH does have a presence in more family members (unlike mine), if they do identify a responsible gene(s) obviously we could be checked for that gene or combination of genes (because, IF it would be just the one gene and my parents don't have that I'd have some serious questions to ask them :lol:) and see if we can pass on the HH. They're looking for 200 families and I believe they need another 30 at this point...I've got another 7 years and a couple months before I reach 30 myself, but I'm hoping it won't take that long to get some more info on it.

However, like mentioned before I'm not a big believer of HH being hereditary in itself. Maybe there could be some herditary factor in the underlying cause that is as of yet unidentified...Best scenario would be if they could find out something about that obviously but I'm not getting to excited yet.

Kien

I don't think people with any kind of life long disease/problems should have kids.

sadday

I think about this ALL the time. I am a 23yr old female. I want kids in my 30's but am terrified of passing this on to them. I have other family members that have this so I do think it is heredity and that scares me.

But before worrying too much about kids I have to get the courage to date in the first place. And I really don't see that happening anytime soon.

anonymous_r

It's entirely up to you, not to discourage you but one of the women on the Sweaty Betty documentary did say she noticed signs of HH in her children.

finallyfree

I am a 30-year old female. From the time I was about 20, up until this past Tuesday, I have suffered from HH on my hands and feet. I finally saw a dermatologist who put me on Robinul, and my problem is nearly gone (until this past Tuesday, I had no idea there was even anything that could be done to help me). That being said, I have two children. Neither of them suffer from HH, nor do any of my other family members - I was the lucky one that got afflicted with it. :oops: It never bothered my husband - he would hold my dripping-wet hands, and tell me he loves me whether I sweat or not. If you really want kids, I say go for it. There is nothing that says they will get HH. Good luck to you.

blong

No, no one else in my family has HH, but does that really matter?

I am so depressed right now, i just cant seem to get out of it. Normally I just shrug it off but i just cant seem to this time