Unsure and confused

Ome

I've been in therapy with several psychologists since May 2012; although, the very first one wasn't very good at her job and she violated several "ethical rules" by trying to persuade me into her religion multiple times.

I initially started therapy because I had turned extremely aware of my body and any "symptoms" that might have indicated a horrible, horrible disease, especially some sort of cancer. A friend of mine died of brain cancer and it really carved into my mind for years, and I exploded in 2012.

To this day, I'm still paranoid about several diseases, but I guess it's a bit less severe. Still, I frequently wash my hands when I touch something I classify as "dirty". I have several bottles of ethyl alcohol in my room that I use to further "sanitize" my hands.

I am extremely self-conscious, with low self-esteem and I have lots of intrusive thoughts everyday, along with some weird impulses (like start screaming and moving my arms in my room for no reason). Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night thinking repeatedly of just 1 thing or subject, and it won't leave me alone until I fall asleep again or some time passes.

It's nothing new, really. My parents have told me that I got obsessed with several topics as a child (such as meteorology, football, cartoons, etc.) and suddenly, some day, they just disappeared and I moved onto another obsession.

I really don't like being around people. I feel that they all stare and judge. Also, most people I have regular contact with have little to nothing in common with me; I usually try isolate them and be alone, even though I'm not successful most of the time, as they try to talk to me and get me to solve their schoolwork (I have a high avg. score at school, that's why they probably approach me).

Panic attacks are not uncommon. Be them caused by imaginary diseases, stress in social situations, or the thoughts that wake me up late at night, I am usually disabled by a state of fear and frighten, thinking that there is something wrong with me mentally or physically. I am unable to work or focus when I'm having panic attacks, and this in turn causes me to think there is something wrong with my brain (physically), and it just makes the attack even worse.

I haven't asked my shrink for a diagnosis because I've only had 3 sessions with her so far (I got a new one recently, my old one got married and quit for some reason). I've researched my symptoms, but I still don't know if my speculations are right or not.

Do I have OCD or some sort of anxiety disorder? I'm really confused and desperate, I think I'm going to go insane one of these days.

Last edited:

Ome

I can't sleep... it's almost 3 AM...

It's back...

I'm not sure if I'm a hypochondriac, but 2012 was a very tough year for me. My paranoia was out of control, and I had thought that I had every cancer imaginable by men (literally, men).

The illness I fear the most is brain cancer. I have friends that have died of brain tumours, and others that are in the fight. The prognosis is extremely poor, and if any, the brain is severely damaged and it's never the same... I value my little intelligence more than anything else about myself...

So today I was watching brain surgery videos (inexplicably, I'm fascinated by brain surgeries) and came across a "Brain Cancer symptoms" video. I already knew a lot of them, as I spent last year Googling symptoms of everything I felt to reassure myself that I was NOT sick...

However, this video presented new symptoms I did not know about. And about 10 mins of Googling later... I have several of these signs. They're not exactly noticeable, nor are they painful, etc. But the cause is pretty much always brain cancer.

Random jerking, "phantom smell", headaches, dizziness, nightmares and sudden awakening. I don't know if my personality has changed... I wouldn't notice.

I'm incredibly anxious right now... what if I AM sick? It's a ****ing death sentence! And my family won't believe me right now; I don't think they'll take me to get an MRI scan or to a neurologist, and that's the only thing that can tell us if I'm healthy or not.

I want to tell them, and I want them to help me, my OCD and anxiety are worsening... and I had started noticing some mild, positive changes.

Help me please... how do I tell them? I'm incredibly scared...

Kiwong

I think it is worth having tests done to rule out the illnesses that concern you. If the results come up negative will that convince you?

At the worst of my panic disorder I suffered from dizziness, fatigue, chest tightness. It took several years, but I ruled out life threatened conditions. I was convince I had problem, that I had cancer, that I had any number of diseases, But I ruled each out with many tests.

It turned out panic disorder and haemochromatosis, serious enough but not life threatening. When I knew it couldn't kill me the panic attacks lost their power.

Ome

I think it is worth having tests done to rule out the illnesses that concern you. If the results come up negative will that convince you?

At the worst of my panic disorder I suffered from dizziness, fatigue, chest tightness. It took several years, but I ruled out life threatened conditions. I was convince I had problem, that I had cancer, that I had any number of diseases, But I ruled each out with many tests.

It turned out panic disorder and haemochromatosis, serious enough but not life threatening. When I knew it couldn't kill me the panic attacks lost their power.

It would really help if a doctor told me if I'm healthy or not. Unfortunately, brain lesions can only be observed with CT scans/MRIs, and I don't have the money or the support of my family to get one.

I'm still panicking