Violent movies and violent thoughts!

Bernie

Hi Guys! I'm a female who also has deeply distressing violent thoughts, like so many others suffer with on here. What's mad is, if i hear a story about an animal being harmed or child, the image stays in my mind for months, and i feel terribly depressed, it's a bloody awful feeling!
Where do you think the roots of this horrible "violent thoughts" obsession come from? Do you think it's rage that hasn't been dealt with? Sometimes when i get these thoughts- i don't think i'm even angry!! (well, i'm not consciously aware of it if i am.)
Also, If i watch a horror movie or real-life crime programme on tv, i start fearing i'll act it out (but i won't off course)
What worries me is : if you told someone this, they would probably think you're "unhinged" or something. So it's not any easy thing to discuss!
Can anyone relate to any of this? I'd really appreciate a response!

Musicocd

I'm definitely like this with horror films, especially the saw films. I'm scared I will start acting like that if I watch it and the pictures will stay in my mind for years. I think the most important thing though, when you're affected by stuff like that like you say about the animals being harmed, is to keep watching. Avoidance of triggers, while on the one hand will probably make the thoughts better, on the other hand it is the first step towards seclusion. So no matter how much I hate horror films (which I generally do anyway because they bore me) I still make myself watch them!

Hope that helps...sort of.

cobalt_bluester

Hi. I've had these type of thoughts before I call them intrusive thoughts. I think they're a type of addiction which a lot of people with social anxiety and depression share. In actual fact, the root of my problem comes from a thought I had a long time ago which I have since never been able to turn off. I hope you manage to find away around your problems.

asubscriber99

oh my god, i just had the same thing, and thought i'm the only one who is experiencing that!

i still don't know why it causes me an obsession when i see such a thing, but i'm still trying to figure why it's happening.

Bernie

Thanks all, for your replies. Very much appreciated!

musicocd (i like the o.c.d bit at the end) - What you said about staying with the images, thoughts etc, which botther you rather than avoiding them, is very interesting!

I looked on the net recently, and it was only when i accidently clicked on a page about O.C.D, that i came to realise that these distressing thoughts and images were a form of O.C.D. I felt tremendous relief actually, as, like others, i starting questioning whether or not i was "evil" and "psychotic".

Anyway Thedoctor who had written the page explained that in treating O.C.D, you have to stay with it, rather than avoid it! I find the more i let these things in though, the more the compulsion to act them out! Do you find it helps you at all to put yourself through it?

Kien

Bad stories and stuff sticks to my min too. It doesn't have to be something special. It can be seeing a person who is in an embarrasing situation that I would hate being in because of SA and such.