what about getting fit?

Yossarian

Not me. I love sports but have no one to play with :cry: I know I've always felt really good and positive after exercise in the past. I hear exercise is really good for depression but most of the time I'm so depressed I don't have the motivation to get fit! Doh!

wistful_dementia

that's true

As far as helping with SAD... it hasn't helped really. But me going to the gym on a regular basis has helped with depression. It's true excercise is a natural antidepressant. Going to the gym in the first place was hell. But now that I have become more accustomed to my surroundings, including the regulars there I can manage to get a workout done without feeling like I have to run out the door or have a nervous breakdown. Maybe, we can start a SAD team sports league ;)

wistful_dementia

Oh no, you've got it all wrong! :oops:
I also enjoy having wild kinky circus sex with midgets in gimp outfits ... so please don't jump to any conclusions... I just work out to stave off the ole depression- working up a sweat in one form or another actually helps.
I'm such a loser- ex goth/freak boy turned old fuddie-duddie. Goooooooooooooooooooooooo sports...........yippppppppppppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! or wild freaky circus sex- what ever is convenient at the moment.

Flax

I weighed 210lbs in august of 2003 and now I weight 167lbs. I have exercised regularly and it has improved my self-esteem and made me worry about my appearance less. But it hasn't really helped with social phobia and I still get depressed. I got into shape because I used to be in good shape before I became mentally ill and I thought getting fit would bring me back to that time. It hasn't obviously if I'm browsing social phobia forums. I still haven't reached my goal of having flat abs, but I'll get there sometime if I work harder. The best thing about exercise in my opinion is when you can run and not run out of breath in seconds. Being able to support your own weight with your arms and all the physical benefits exercise gives you. I also had people give complements on how much weight I've lost so that feels good as well. I didn't even realize I was overweight until people started calling me big guy, and when that happened I decided it was time to change my habits. Now people that knew I was overweight call me slim. I don't feel like re-reading this but I guess it is helpful to get fit, but not a cure.

Anonymous

Definetely worth it!! Even if you only get the health benefits it's still worth it. But think about it, what do you lose by becoming stronger, more enduring, and simply FEELING better? I'm not kidding anyone, I still have SP. But after a good workout or jog in the park, I simply feel great, and for the rest of the day it really makes a difference. I have noticed that in ALL cases, when I just get up last minute, stagger out of bed, and then go to work, I feel pretty dodgy. Try getting up 45 mins early, and going for a run. I guarantee you'll feel better for the rest of the day.

Anonymous

And Seb.. it's not about getting "really fit". Work at your own pace. It's about feeling that you are doing something for yourself to feel better. Who cares what weight the next guy is lifting, or that you can only run for 5 mins before running out of breath. Work at your own pace, and feel the benefits.

Anonymous

I've been working out for a couple of weeks pretty hard now and i'm fitter, but not there yet and still a little overweight. I do feel more energetic and able to cope, but haven't confronted social situations yet. I'll keep yas posted

LilMissTragic

I work out on my punch bag usually, amazing to get rid of all that negative energy and frustration. I'll hopefully be starting martial arts soon with my fiance and his brother. I'm freaking actually, I've never participated in any group activity before but I'm pushing myself to do this. Though my fiance says he will talk to the teacher with me first about my SP. I'm just keeping it in my head that the first lesson is gonna be the worse. OMG OMG OMG!!!!

seb-definately worth getting fit or at least trying to,im trying.you can always excercise at home if need be.look on the net for different excercises,its amazing that an unusual excercise or different position etc can have much better results.
if excercise is not a cure,its certainly a small part of the jigsaw