What to do?

Anonymous

I just want to stop these thoughts of fear and anxiety. Everything is out of control and sometimes I can't function anymore. I'm scared to see a doctor because I wouldn't know where to begin. My university has personal counsellors but I'm so afraid. I don't want to have a breakdown in front of him/her. I don't want anyone to know about my problem, especially not my family (they wouldn't understand and they already think I'm eccentric). Is there someway I could stop myself from thinking and feeling this way? Or perhaps it'll just go away?

Thanks so much for reading this. I'm sorry if I wasted your time.

Anonymous

here's a lil hope for you

Reading what you wrote you should know that these bad feelings of fear and anxiety is all made up in your mind, and can surely dissapear within time depending on how you work at getting yourself better. you have to rebuild the way you think ... from thinking all negative to more positive. it would take time but it'll get better and believe me... it's worth it. i've been through same difficult times and im still working at it myself but i can see im getting better. your best bet now would be talking to your school counsellors and letting at least somebody know, so you would feel less tense and he or she can somehow help you. but really the choice of changing is totally up to you! remember you should take baby-steps. and i obviously know that you wouldn't want to stay in the position you are now...so i say GO FOR IT!!!!! :D

Orlando

Hi, Guest and Lindsay!

I definately agree...if you have access to a counselor, it is to your advantage to use it. There is no point in suffering alone especially when other people are willing to help you get better.
Also, therapy sessions are kept confidential. Psychiatrists or counselors are not allowed to divulge any of personal information to others [unless, you are in immediate danger to yourself or others...In those cases, they are responsible to contact the police.] If you don't want your family to know that you are going to a therapist, you don't have to tell them. The therapist will not be able to talk to your family if you don't want him/her to.
Finally, Counselors at universities are usually either free or at reduced prices. Hopefully, money will not be a problem.

Anonymous

Guest--
Don't worry about having a breakdown in front of your counselor. They're used to that. They won't be judging you or criticizing you; they are there to help.

We won't judge you or criticize you here, either--I think we can probably all relate quite well to what you wrote.

Good luck!!

Anonymous

Re:

Just to clarify, I'm the person who started this topic.

I want say thanks to Lindsay, Orlando, and J. I've been thinking about what you wrote. You've helped me with my concerns. When I wrote the above post, I was dealing with a certain situation. I've managed to calm myself down a little bit. I still have a few worries but it's very comforting coming here. Right now, I'm trying to convince myself to visit my campus psychiatrist. I'm having a difficult time seeing myself making an appointment. I have to come to the office and tell the receptionist . . . I know I sound crazy. I'm not sure if you've ever seen a counsellor and I applaud you for it. Anyways, thank you again. You've really given a new perspective.

Orlando

Hi, Guest!

You're welcome. I really can't count the amount of people helped me through hard times (with SA). There is just too many to count. I am indebted to them.
Just wanted to say that if you feel nervous about making the appointment...You may consider arranging the appointment over the telephone. That way the first time you will see her is on the day of you appointment. That's just one strategy around it!
Good Luck! :D