When did your shyness start?

UnReal

Hey every1, I'm new to this forum, everyone seems really laid back so far. Not much of the usual bickering I see on other forums. I was wondering when did you guys first start expiriencing shyness or has it always been like that? Me, I used to be so outgoing until about 11, my mom always tells me what a noisy brat I used to be. But then I moved from canada to texas, and everything went downhill. Everything was so different here, and kids around that age aren't especially kind to strangers from out of country. So anyways, I couldn't fit in and thats when I began to grow quiet and started keeping everything to myself. Now, I'm kinda the same, even around my good friends, it's like I'm not fully comfortable. I don't have the problem of letting people walk over me, usually get mad enough to put a stop to that. But it seems like I just can't find the nerve to strike up conversations anywhere. Wish I could go back and fix whatever went wrong when I was little =)

Boundless

For me,its allways been with me,but over the years through bullying its got alot worse,now im at the point where i rarely leave my house due to anxiety.Depression doesnt help matters either but hey im still alive right :roll:

UnReal

Yea I know what yu mean about bullies boundless, I kinda think that if I argue too much or stand up to people who try to run over me, then I will be seen as a jerk or someone who no one can get along with.

redlady

UnReal said:
Yea I know what yu mean about bullies boundless, I kinda think that if I argue too much or stand up to people who try to run over me, then I will be seen as a jerk or someone who no one can get along with.

Doesn't that just kill you - YOU are seen as the jerk because you dare to stand up for yourself. It is so fucking ridiculous it is almost hilarious. When i am confronted with it i have the urge to have an histerical reaction to it.

As for my shyness it started around 13 - when i got to highschool....coincidence ??

UnReal

I used to get all defensive when ppl were like that, and I think that this is the worst thing to do. Seems like it just encorages these ppls. Lately, I've started to either just ignore them or on the rare occasion get mad and tell them off. I might look like a fool, but atleast they leave me alone afterwards.

redlady

Been strong and proactive in the face of this shit - my parents had a parenting 'ethic' of just leaving you to your own devices - even when they acknowledged that things were skewing away from the norm for me they did nothing and i was certainly too young to do anything for myself. They didn't even talk to me about what was 'bothering me'. Certainly all the wagging from school should have raised some alarm bells. Okay they may not have known what to do - so get someone involved who does.

kiwi

I've always been shy. My parents said that when I was a baby I used to bawl my eyes out when someone other than them held me.

At least if I only became shy at a certain point, then there would be a chance I could get back to that point somehow, but for me it just seems part of my personality which I don't think any amount of therapy could change.

Lightcloud

It definitely started in 8th grade. As a child and through elementary school and the first part of junior high, I was incredibly affable and gregarious. Then 8th grade hit, and now high school, and I'm definitely more shy and reserved. I'm the most introverted person ever unless I'm around my close friends or family.

rj32093

That's exaclty what happend to me. Mom tells me I used to be so friendly and loud, but when I moved to L.A when I was 12, it was a totally different story. Now I am 27 and still quiet, more than before. Sometimes I think I will be this way all my life, but I feel better when I'm here, in the forum because at least there are people that understand what I mean :)

PhantomPod

I've just always been shy and quiet, since I was little. My parents always say how I didn't really like other people outside the family and my teachers would always write on my report cards that I was really quiet and everything.